Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
I guess everything that prevents other OS (Android or Ubuntu) on the legacy devices has to be opened. I guess it's sound, GPS and such things.
Since the Community SSU is part of the Diablo Community Project

http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

we're not interested in running Android or Ubuntu.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Since the Community SSU is part of the Diablo Community Project

http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

we're not interested in running Android or Ubuntu.
Why does it matter that one particular project doesn't want to run/deal-with other OSes? I think his point was that the needs of the larger community (not just the Diablo Community) are best served by the older devices (and the drivers for their components) being open enough to support any particular OS, not just an open-Diablo.

If the group that is pursuing the opening up of these components isn't doing it for the larger community, then that group isn't worth giving any attention to, as they're just another myopic group only showing self interest ... instead of community interest. Not exactly in the spirit of the ideals of FOSS there.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
err, i think it may be time we all sat down and rested for a while...

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
I will rest when the N810 doesn't require blobs to access hardware. I will buy a N900 when it meets the same criteria.

What is your definition of "blobs"? If you take it in the strictest sense (including CPU microcode, ROM, firmware, kernel drivers, userspace daemons etc) it sounds like you'll never own any computing hardware that does anything interesting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
What a pessimistic view! Technically, a SoC without designs is a blob. But as I have expressed many a time, I am willing to compromise and tolerate closed hardware and even closed firmware for the time being. But there is no excuse for anything to be run on the CPU, especially not for a device that attempts to market itself as being "open" in some way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Luke-Jr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Why does it matter that one particular project doesn't want to run/deal-with other OSes? I think his point was that the needs of the larger community (not just the Diablo Community) are best served by the older devices (and the drivers for their components) being open enough to support any particular OS, not just an open-Diablo.

If the group that is pursuing the opening up of these components isn't doing it for the larger community, then that group isn't worth giving any attention to, as they're just another myopic group only showing self interest ... instead of community interest. Not exactly in the spirit of the ideals of FOSS there.
There is much that could be said, but suffice it to say the most prevalent devices in this community for the last couple years have been N8x0 devices running Diablo - and so the Diablo Community Project probably has the broadest swath across the community.

Last edited by SD69; 2009-10-25 at 13:56.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There is much that could be said, but suffice it to say the most prevalent devices in this community for the last couple years have been N8x0 devices running Diablo - and so the Diablo Community Project probably has the broadest swath across the community.
As Diablo is an obsoleted version of Maemo, I don't see why something Diablo-specific has any relevance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Luke-Jr For This Useful Post:

Tags
god initiative, good initiative, open source, stylus keyboard