Notices

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
How difficult is it and is it possible to have it implemented in contacts like skype? Can we expect Nokia to implement it, or we have to do it? I think it's one of the 3 most popular messengers worldwide so i can't believe it's not already implemented by Nokia.
Tnx for your answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to kopte3 For This Useful Post:
It would be great if aMSN will come back for maemo 5

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
My understanding was that it was going to be included?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
RTCOM (real time communications) subsystem in Maemo 5 is built on top of Telepathy. Telepathy plugins allow to set up any additional messaging protocols. For example, in Extras-testing there is now telepathy-haze which uses libpurple to support multiple messaging protocols. There is also telepathy-butterfly which supports MSN protocol directly.

Testing that they work might take some time but once people would verify telepathy-haze/telepathy-butterfly, they can vote for their promotion to Extras repository. After that they would be visible to a normal setup, without need to add Extras-testing.

For example, if I do following:
Code:
# apt-get install telepathy-butterfly account-plugin-butterfly
there will be MSN account type in VoIP/Chat accounts setup. I do not have any MSN account to verify that it works, actually.

When telepathy-haze and account-plugin-haze are installed, I also get 'MSN (Haze)' account type so now there are two ways to get MSN working.

telepathy-haze also gives ability to setup access to IBM's Sametime servers through wonderful meanwhile library.

Last edited by abbra; 2009-10-04 at 16:44.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
So that means it can be implemented in the same way as Skype is already implemented? Thanks!

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Can anyone out there with an n900 and wlm account try this out?

I rather have Yahoo Messenger or AIM.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
So that means it can be implemented in the same way as Skype is already implemented? Thanks!
It is already implemented, it is matter of installing two packages from Extras-testing right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that's what i wanted to hear.

Are the IM clients "always-on" connection or do they constantly disconnect when you're not active on the clients?

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo