Notices

Originally Posted by mr id View Post
load the browser on your n900, navigate to the download link I posted and download the file from there.

By default this will save in your MyDocs folder - you will need to move it from there.

Open the terminal - (if you are at all uncomfortable with this you may want to stop now, you are essentially downloading a random file off of the internet and running it on your phone).

enter the following at the prompt (this will move the file):
mv /home/user/MyDocs/demorecorder /home/user/demorecorder

then (to make it executable)
chmod +x /user/home/demorecorder

now you can start it with
/home/user/demorecorder

hth
Ececutable command didnt work, but this works:
chmod +x /home/user/demorecorder

(and rootsh has to be enabled, offcourse)
---

Can you tell me how I can test desibels with this ?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Ececutable command didnt work, but this works:
chmod +x /home/user/demorecorder

(and rootsh has to be enabled, offcourse)
sorry, had a typo in the previous post. corrected now.

Are you sure you need rootsh for this?

Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Can you tell me how I can test desibels with this ?
Menu > Input Settings
will pop up the box with the meter on it. This will show current and peak for L and R channels.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ England
This is incredible, thank you mr id!

I couldn't get the file to move location in XTerminal, as per your instructions (it said "no such file found", or somesuch), so I just went to File Manager and moved it manually to the root folder ('N900', or whatever you've named it). I suppose I could have just chosen to download it there in the first place, as it gave me the option to do so.

I then did the other two commands, as you wrote, in XTerminal, and it works beautifully!

This is a major boost for me, as I have a job which lets me sneak off to my car and do what I really want to do for a living, which is to write and record music (I keep an acoustic guitar in my car at work, and I get long breaks ).

demorecorder now enables me to instantly record harmonies, etc. As you say, it's just like an oldskool 4-track recorder, and having it on my phone means I always have it with me whenever inspiration strikes (about twice a year, if I'm lucky ).

Only prob I have found so far, after an initial quick 15-minute test, is that when recording more than one track (with headphones plugged in, so as not to re-record the first track's playback), the second track seems to be slightly lagging behind the original track on playback when I play the two back together.

Haven't tested it with recording more than two tracks yet, but is that something you had noticed too? It happened on two separate projects I started.

Also, when I pressed the 'mixdown' button, the whole thing crashed

But I know this is a work in progress, and I'm just happy that you're doing this, so thanks again for this magical app (I hate that word)!

Will let you know how I get on with further testing.

Originally Posted by FishesWillLaugh View Post
This is a major boost for me, as I have a job which lets me sneak off to my car and do what I really want to do for a living, which is to write and record music (I keep an acoustic guitar in my car at work, and I get long breaks ).
Awesome, exactly what it's for. Best Available Device, and all that.

Only prob I have found so far, after an initial quick 15-minute test, is that when recording more than one track (with headphones plugged in, so as not to re-record the first track's playback), the second track seems to be slightly lagging behind the original track on playback when I play the two back together.

Haven't tested it with recording more than two tracks yet, but is that something you had noticed too? It happened on two separate projects I started.
This is one of the key things I'll be looking for feedback on, as I can't tell if it's going to be device specific or consistent for everyone. I'm assuming I'm going to need to the ability to nudge a track by a few microseconds - probably manually by the user, unless it seems to be a predictable delay.

Out of interest, are you recording down to an external microsd or internal memory, and do you know what class card you have? Looking to collect some stats here.

Also, I haven't had a chance to compare the lag now that PR1.3 is out and whether any Pulse audio fixes have had an impact.

Also, when I pressed the 'mixdown' button, the whole thing crashed

But I know this is a work in progress, and I'm just happy that you're doing this, so thanks again for this magical app (I hate that word)!

Will let you know how I get on with further testing.
There are definitely a few crashes in there that I need to work on - which is why most of the project based stuff is in there, so you can at least relaunch and reload.

The other main frustration you may find in the current version is not all of your track settings being persisted when you save and reload (EQ, effects etc).

I've been travelling a lot over the past couple of months but I should have a few free weekends coming up to get back on track with development.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

If this gets developed into a packaged app for the repository, let us know. I do have a calibrated sound meter to compare it against.

This time I'll subscribe to the thread to keep up with things.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheJason For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheJason View Post
If this gets developed into a packaged app for the repository, let us know. I do have a calibrated sound meter to compare it against.

This time I'll subscribe to the thread to keep up with things.
Thanks TheJason,

I'm curious to see how accurate it can be. I'll post here when I have something installable for you. I'm now tempted to just knock up a very simple level meter just for this purpose - then maybe someone else could take it forward to make a good looking application.

Clearly you'd prefer a nice package but would you be up for a guided installation just to get a proof of concept? I'm concerned I'd spend more time packaging than writing the test application!

cheers

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Paris
Return of experience
I have installed the deb you gave previous page and test your app, it's a very nice app.
I do not experience bug that trouble maemo, but i didn't really test the app cause I have flashed the device a few days after. I'm gonna install it again and this time really test the app. It could be a good complement to :
http://my-maemo.com/software/applica...to=1975&faq=34

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
Originally Posted by vabgeo View Post
try in a terminal
Code:
 arecord -vv /dev/null
Unfortunately that command breaks /dev/null (turning it into a regular file), which leads to not being able to start a new Xterm and much other weirdness. A less harmful command would be:
Code:
arecord -vv - > /dev/null
If you have already run the original command a reboot is the easiest way to fix the problem, or you can SSH in as root and:
Code:
rm /dev/null
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
chmod a+wr /dev/null

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sutaburosu For This Useful Post:
Had a couple of hours this evening to build a standalone app with an example gstreamer level plugin running.

The tar.gz has a plain executable inside - no deb or package, so you'd need to drop it somewhere executable and start from the command line.

Would be interested how it compares to a calibrated meter. I'm not expecting accuracy as it doesn't measure sound pressure etc. I'd be keen to get a variety of comparative readings from quiet through to loud. Feel free to play with the gain to see if this can improve matters.

As mentioned previously, it wasn't designed to be accurate but rather to give visual feedback when recording wrt audio clipping.

cheers
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: gz decibelmeter.tar.gz (25.2 KB, 144 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I just discovered this thread yesterday and saw that no standalone application was there yet.
Coincidentally, I am currently also developing some small application which has some sound recording functionality.
Similarly to mr id I also had some sort of VU Meter as user feedback to get an optical feedback of the sound input level.

I got the first version uploaded to extras-devel yesterday.
It is called "vumeter".
The whole thing is pretty "hackish" as the code was "ripped" out of another software project.
Though, it should give at least some visual feedback.

Kind regards

Wonko

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post: