Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Unfortunately I think Sailfish will not succeed. Not, because it is a bad OS, but because the guys here are so negative. Instead of being happy, that there is a a long awaited feature finally available, there is just sarcasm and mockery.

If all the thousand other platforms have all the features you think that are standard nowadays, well than you can tell me, if there is native caldav support in Android meanwhile. The last time I've seen it, it wasn't there. Just available over third party apps. But of course that's not a standard.

If you want to have something other than Sailfish just choose the OS you like there are so many out there, and all are really great and have no downsides...

Don't get me wrong. I'm also often struggle on some Sailfish things. But for me there are no alternatives out there at the moment. Still hope that plasma mobile will develop, but i fear that will still take a while.

So I'm happy that there is a new update, bringing new features an hopefully also bugfixes.
I know what you mean, instead of complaining I made that post as a how-to to show a manual way for people get the wifi access, which I believe is the main strength of a good community. Jolla won't be able to deliver everything we want but as a community we can work together to help each other to fill the gaps

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2017-07-24 at 21:13.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I updated my first Jolla which I got from Narinkkatori. Update failed until I finally removed browser history and some other stuff. Update installation took long time and when it booted, it did not request for locking code nor pin code. Double tap and swype to bring up lock screen. I can open the device with locking code, but none of the simple methods will make this to ask sim cards pin-code, hence no 2G/3G/4G connections. Also WLAN does not work either. So this Jolla is completely without normal networking. I will not update my other J1's before I get this resolved. Will report back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Few other observations: there is no such thing as landscape-mode except on applications which seem to turn the screen on their own initiative, not based on sensor. E.g. terminal is in portrait mode and anything I do does not bring out landscape mode. Many applications do not even start. E.g. camera tries to start but dies without error message,

I guess the update failed catastrophically for some reason. I guess I have to flash this device.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
I resorted to system reset. Went through the firmware updates starting from 1.0.0.5. Phone worked in 2.1. but installing Jämsänjoki resulted with same problems. No mobile (apparently does not recognize sim card present) nor is there Wlan. So next I do the same but leave Jämsänjoki out.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I can confirm, that the device lock is gone, it's only there after a reboot for once. But I have no problems with mobile connections. Also Terminal is switching to landscape just like it should (Have you set UI-Orientation inside Terminal-app).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately I think Sailfish will not succeed. Not, because it is a bad OS, but because the guys here are so negative. Instead of being happy, that there is a a long awaited feature finally available, there is just sarcasm and mockery.
Of course. It is the fault of the user and their sarcarsm that Jolla is not successful.
Surly it is not the missing features like connecting to a wifi withouth having to activate developermode and edit some files in the terminal. That's what the vast majority of users want and do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
As for all Early Access Release i would only update or even recomend it to someone who as a second Jolla phone. According to https://together.jolla.com/questions/ members there are a lot of complaints. Have to wait and see
Hm, ok, just need to calm down and explain myself.

Of course I know what I do (EA since the flag exists). Swapping to the J1 means: back to stable - yes this is my stable backup every EA user should have. You might see, that my post at tjc is not as negative as it might be interpreted here on tmo - and - I was too fast yesterday.

The developers kicked out the bluetooth 8bit mono audio profile. Quote "Routing low quality audio (8 kHz mono) to Bluetooth headsets not meaningful". What I did not know was that some of my bt headset devices just use this ugly codec (ugly because it is not meaningful - the devs say, ugly because of it's sound quality). But with these devices (Jabra suite) I have my special use cases - and they do not work anymore.

It may be a basis of discussion if "not as meaningful" functionalities really need to be deleted or not. And this might or might not be a thread on tmo to discuss. And if the developers have arguments for kicking it out then I would accept it - and dump my devices...

I only saw (or better heard): no audio anymore via bluetooth. Bummer. And I did this ooold mistake: just type it into the next thread compared to the update. And therefore I want to apologise especially if just this post has this negative connotation nobody really needs for this OS.

And hey - nice camera UI now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
I can confirm, that the device lock is gone, it's only there after a reboot for once. But I have no problems with mobile connections. Also Terminal is switching to landscape just like it should (Have you set UI-Orientation inside Terminal-app).
I have to correct this. After the update my lock time was set to 60 min. After setting it back all is fine ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Of course. It is the fault of the user and their sarcarsm that Jolla is not successful.
Surly it is not the missing features like connecting to a wifi withouth having to activate developermode and edit some files in the terminal. That's what the vast majority of users want and do.
Well you want a hackable device don't you

And yes, I also want a lot of things. Anyway I have to use what I get. The choices are
  • Android which is packed with add- and spyware.
  • IOS, a walled garden
  • Sailfish OS, a nice but unfortunately not yet finished alternative.

I have chosen Sailfish and live with the downsides. If I would have chosen one of the others, I would have to live with their downsides.

And of course I have the choice every day anew. I'm not forced to use Sailfish.

By the way, i have already written, that Android doesn't offer anything which i think is standard (guess why), but there are third party apps which help them out.
...Oh and on IOS please open the Terminal (isn't that standard?).

And of course you could have written an application which build up the network instead of using terminal. Being active is always better than complaining.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
And yes, I also want a lot of things. Anyway I have to use what I get. The choices are
  • Android which is packed with add- and spyware.
  • IOS, a walled garden
  • Sailfish OS, a nice but unfortunately not yet finished alternative.
You were talking about why Jolla is not successful. Now you're talking about some different things and fingerpoint on other platforms. That's always the lamest excuse off all: "but they are not perfect either".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post: