Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Denver, CO USA
I got an N800 today from CompUSA and it is my first Nokia internet tablet. I was considering a 770 but the additional memory and the SD card support of the N800 won out and convinced me to invest in one. It runs quite smoothly and does work quite well for web browsing. It also does more than I expected in the multimedia department and there seems to be a good amount of extra apps for it. My only big gripe is that I'd like a real keyboard but that would compromise the small size of this thing. The on screen thumboard is adequate enough, although it takes some getting used to, and it's usable enough for short posts like this.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by donovan1983 View Post
My only big gripe is that I'd like a real keyboard but that would compromise the small size of this thing. The on screen thumboard is adequate enough, although it takes some getting used to, and it's usable enough for short posts like this.
The Nokia Bluetooth keyboard and the ThinkOutside BT keyboard both work with the N800.

In a pinch, any BT keyboard that supports the HID profile will work; and even the ones that support the older serial profile (Freedom Keyboard e.g.) can be made to work, but with a lot more user effort.

I think this is a great toy, figure a 2 year run = 16.00 a month, 4 a week.
And regardless of the competition, it is here now. Purchased mine at the Nokia store in NYC.

Hi Everyone

The Nokia store in NYC (5th and 57th) had no discounts (Military or Gov't); the 770 was 360.00 the 800 was 400.00 firm!

Just an FYI.

What I don't understand is why Nokia has chosen to use Opera 8.5, because Opera 9 for Devices is already available (i.e. the Wii runs 9). Especially considering Nokia has taken a new Opera license for the N800 which is not available for the 770.
Does this mean Opera 9 will never become available for the N800, but only for its successor, meaning the N800 will be dumped next year just as the 770?
This would suck because Opera 9 improved many things such as better AJAX support, add blocking and (user) scripting. This way the NXXX will always lag behind in internet functionality and experience.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Does this mean Opera 9 will never become available for the N800, but only for its successor, meaning the N800 will be dumped next year just as the 770?
Is there really any value to be gained from continued speculation about what Nokia might do when/if a successor to the N800 is released? It really is quite tiresome.

It's pretty clear Nokia have taken a wrong turn with their initial approach to the evolution of the Internet Tablet line, and I think it's pretty safe to say they've learned from the reaction of the community and won't be making that same mistake with the successor.

Speculating about them doing so just winds people up... If you don't believe Nokia will do the right thing now and in the future it's pretty clear - don't buy one, and leave your speculative concerns at the door.

Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
What I don't understand is why Nokia has chosen to use Opera 8.5, because Opera 9 for Devices is already available
They will hardly have actively chosen 8.5 over a working 9 - usually, you license what you can get. But if Opera 9 for devices with X11 screen rendering does not exist yet, you can either pay Opera to write the X11 renderer and pray they manage to arrive at a production quality solution in time to meet your deadline, or take what working revision they have...

Sevo

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I made some research and Datavis is one of the Nokia launch partners for N800. Don't ask how I know... But I can assure thit is CORRECT information from reliable source. You would be safe to buy it from them, if there are any left?
Just got it today... Unit was unopened (Nokia seal not broken on box). Unit is made in Korea... if that does tell anything.

After few hours "toying" around I flashed the latest OS and installed most of my apps. (There was some trickery required to get MaemoMapper installed...) So far no chrashes. The tablet seem much more smoother/faster than 770 and the screen is significantly better: Sparkling Moire effect is much smaller and the touchscreen sensitivity is great! Overall I'm very happy!

Now I'm only waiting for my 4GB SD cards to arrive...

Sound quality through either output is, imo, the best nokia's made.

Out of the ones we tested in the nokia booth, and there were quite a lot of nokia phones there.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Jose_R.A.M View Post
Sound quality through either output is, imo, the best nokia's made.

Out of the ones we tested in the nokia booth, and there were quite a lot of nokia phones there.
I forgot to mention about this... So it is not only me that thinks the audio quality is better on N800 than on N770? The sound on N800 seem have better higher midrange and treble than N770 when using headphones. (And the built in speakers are not that bad either... of course not much bass but other than that rather enjoyable.) I may need to do more side by side comparsion but these are my first impressions.