Active Topics

Quote from Johnx

"-The LCD was very bright and clear, and I had no problem reading on it. I was later told that the screen is 3.5" but I wouldn't have guessed without someone telling me."

I'll have to see for myself before judging, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pre-ordering.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
I've been wondering if the reason Nokia describe the N900 as an "Internet Tablet" rather than as a "Mobile Phone", might be due to the only information that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the published Technical Specifications - the expected operating time on a full charge.

My N800's BP-5L battery is rated at 1500mAh and only gives me about 3hrs running when disconnected from a charger. However, I see that the N900's BL-5J battery is only rated at 1320mAh and will have to cope with GSM & GPS too. I expect about 1.5hrs, or less.

No way could they get away with selling something with this sort of standby/talk time as a "Mobile Phone". However, as a constant user of an "Internet Tablet" I'd welcome the GSM and (built in) GPS functionality, and am used to the need to keep a charger with me.

Does anyone have any concrete data on the battery operating times?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
My N800's BP-5L battery is rated at 1500mAh and only gives me about 3hrs running when disconnected from a charger.
Hold it right there. 3hrs off the charger is NOT normal battery life. Either your battery is getting worn out, or there is something in your tablet's config/apps preventing it from idling.

Does anyone have any concrete data on the battery operating times?
Specs can be misleading in that sense (who knows what usage pattern is assumed), so that will be realistically known only after the users get the production units and report back what usage patterns yield what battery life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
My N800's BP-5L battery is rated at 1500mAh and only gives me about 3hrs running when disconnected from a charger.
Or you have some background process eating battery or it is broken. With new battery and some energy saving tricks I was able to get even 8h of life with normal apps running and some browsing.

Life was reduced with more internet browsing, audio or using in bright light down to 2h when viewing movies.

Everything went down with battery, screen degradation for 2 years but even now I get more than 3h for my regular use (mostly fbreader and some fact checking on internet).

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Hold it right there. 3hrs off the charger is NOT normal battery life. Either your battery is getting worn out, or there is something in your tablet's config/apps preventing it from idling.
Ah, yes, my 3hrs usage is not idling, but listening to podcasts/mp3s usually. Screen blank most of the time. The battery may be getting a little old, but I don't remember it being much better when new.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Specs can be misleading in that sense (who knows what usage pattern is assumed), so that will be realistically known only after the users get the production units and report back what usage patterns yield what battery life.
Mobile phones are usually quoted with talk-time and standby-time. These two, at least, are conspicuously lacking for the N900. I surmise, therefore, that they are embarrassingly low.

For this device I would also like to see:
- video playback time
- audio playback time (through headphones/speakers/transmitter)
- browsing time without flash
- browsing time with flash
- time operating with GPS with 10% screen non-blanked

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I've been wondering if the reason Nokia describe the N900 as an "Internet Tablet" rather than as a "Mobile Phone"...
Do they? Link?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I think there is a short cut based on hardware buttons which let you go to the task switcher. Observe the meamo interface documentary closely you will see qgil's buddy pressing some hardware buttons to pull up the task switcher.
I saw that, but, not real happy with that as a solution. One or two more hardware buttons would've made user interaction much slicker/easier/better (imho).

For instance, I use fbreader alot. Typically, I launch it switch to fullscreen and use the hardware keys to page - 1 handed use. Move my finger slightly and I'm back to windowed mode, minimize or switch to a different task (say launch flipclock before I go to sleep).

With the N900, I'd have to slide the keyboard open, press a key(s), tap on the screen to get back to the desk top, then select another program. Then close the keyboard again.

Same type of thing goes for in-car use. Say using GPS and listening to music. Want to switch tracks, pause, etc. Right now reach out, hit the fullscreen button (accessible in my car mount) tap to bring up my music player, another tap goes back to GPS and a quick click back to fullscreen.

With the N900, I'd have to remove from holder, slide out the keyboard, press some keys (2 handed while driving???), change programs, change back, fullscreen, slide keyboard, put back in holder. Way too much work and dangerous.

Currently, it's no worse than changing radio stations, with the N900 it'd be more like texting. Not a good thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Ah, yes, my 3hrs usage is not idling, but listening to podcasts/mp3s usually. Screen blank most of the time. The battery may be getting a little old, but I don't remember it being much better when new.
Let me put it this way. On my N810 I get a little over 4 hours of video playback and all-day screen-off mp3 playback (10+ hours). I understand the N810 has somewhat better battery management than the N800 but not NEARLY as much as to account for such a disrepancy.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
I've been wondering if the reason Nokia describe the N900 as an "Internet Tablet" rather than as a "Mobile Phone"
Pelago replied asking for a link, but didn't exactly contradict you. I'll fill in the missing bit. In the publicity I've seen from Nokia itself, rather than from non-Nokia commentators, the description is "Mobile Computer".

Here is the link:
http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Do they? Link?
I got the "Internet Tablet" thing from The Register.

HTH.