Notices

Have to admit this project has serious slownes issues....

Posts: 673 | Thanked: 230 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Mumbai
an update was coming
what happened???

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hi!

I just noticed that when somebody sends a SMS to me from a Nokia Lumia phone that contains any new-style emoticons the message processing will fail and the message is scrapped silently.

I assume the behaviour is similar to what happens with iPhone emoticons on a N9 with no "Emoji for Harmattan" installed ?
(I have never had this problem before as I know nobody who has an iPhone...)

This is what gets written to syslog when a message is received:

Code:
Aug 14 08:37:52 (2013) cellular: csd[653]: SMS-lib .648529> utils_tpdu_data_parse(): Error decoding TPDUs. Discarding message
So, my question is, does "Emoji for Harmattan" trap the utils_tpdu_data_parse() function or use a replacement that can decode the non-standard emoticons used by Windows devices?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
[bump]

So has nobody else noticed that Harnattan does not handle the special characters from Lumia-originating SMS'es correctly?

I'd imagine that this is a bug that merits attention of Nokia even on an unsupported platform like Harmattan. To me this seems like an interoperability problem between the company's two own devices so that either WP or Harmattan is not handling SMS'es correctly. SMS is one of the core functionalities of mobile networks and should be guaranteed to work between any devices..

The worst thing about this bug is that the sender gets confirmation about the message delivery, but the receiver gets no indication whatsoever that she's received a message.

I would be happy even if the received SMS would be corrupted in such a way that at least part of it would be readable, giving the receiver at least a hint that somebody sent a message...

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
i can suggest you contact with arcean, he can try to add fix to powerpack

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Can someone please help me get the harmoji 0.7.3 Font?

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
So has nobody else noticed that Harnattan does not handle the special characters from Lumia-originating SMS'es correctly?
My wife has a Lumia, and I have had no issues with receiving SMSs that contain emoticons and the like from her. Are their particular "special characters" you have noticed not working? I would like to check and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
My wife has a Lumia, and I have had no issues with receiving SMSs that contain emoticons and the like from her. Are their particular "special characters" you have noticed not working? I would like to check and see.
Really?? that's strange as I have tested it several times. Even one of the special smileys/icons on a message will cause this behaviour on my device.

Have you got this "Emoji for Harmattan" installed, so is it fixing the problem for you, or do you have unmodified N9?

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Have you got this "Emoji for Harmattan" installed, so is it fixing the problem for you, or do you have unmodified N9?
I do not have "Emoji for Harmattan" installed. She mostly sends hearts and smileys of different types- all coming through as images/icons.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
I do not have "Emoji for Harmattan" installed. She mostly sends hearts and smileys of different types- all coming through as images/icons.
Well this is strange indeed then!

I'll have to check with another device to see where the problem lies then, if it actually is only my N9 that cannot handle the special characters.