Notices

I was wondering if anyones gotten som kind of IRC to work on the phone? the plugin in extras testing is promising but it lacks the fundamental feature of joining rooms. msgs org fine however. has anyone gotten a version of irssi working for example?

The Following User Says Thank You to MaxiKana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Irssi appears to be already in extras-devel. I haven't tried it though, as I prefer to use IRC over ssh on a remote machine.

The Following User Says Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kingston-Upon-Hul, UK / Le Mans, FR
You could use Pidgin I think ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Flanbix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
x-chat is in extras-devel. I don't know if it's stable, optified, etc. If you decide to try it, please share your experiences with it.

I've been using ssh to connect to a server running irssi in screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
set up irssi on on a screen on your desktop or server and use X-Terminal to connect to it using SSH.

More info

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by MaxiKana View Post
I was wondering if anyones gotten som kind of IRC to work on the phone?
XChat is in Extras-devel. So, it should be available for general use at some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

In the meantime, please note that Extras-devel is a playground for developers. Installing software, including XChat, from there is potentially dangerous. The software you install from Extras-devel may not work. The software you install from Extras-devel may cause other, previously wonderful, software on your phone to stop working. The software you install from Extras-devel may cause your phone to stop working in general. Heck, all your data and files may be converted into sophomoric Red Dwarf fanfic written in Loglan. With Extras-devel there are no guarantees beyond getting to keep all the jagged little pieces when something breaks.

EDIT: timoph zoomed past as I was writing the disclaimer.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-12-02 at 19:51. Reason: I'm very slow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
set up irssi on on a screen on your desktop or server and use X-Terminal to connect to it using SSH.

More info
Any pointers how to add alt key to xterm?

The Following User Says Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
Any pointers how to add alt key to xterm?
I solved the problem of missing alt by rebinding the keys in irssi.
(Or, to be more specific, by creating additional bindings so I can still use the original ones when on a desktop computer)

Last edited by hqh; 2009-12-02 at 20:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
(Or, to be more specific, by creating additional bindings so I can still use the original ones when on a desktop computer)
Thanks. I have vague memory that I have seen maemo xterm with alt on the menubar. I don't like to restart my irssi session, so I think I will look around a bit more before modifying irssi config

The Following User Says Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
How about sharing your irssi configuration files or showing people how they can do this themselves?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
irssi, maemo 5