Active Topics

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Apple never removed support for MTP. OSX doesn't support MTP in the OS directly.

What they apparently broke is Google's Android File Transfer program at http://www.android.com/filetransfer/ which no longer works properly under OSX 10.9.
Indeed if you find my post this is what I said. Apple broke MTP programs, not removed the support..It worked fine with the file tranfer app which we deemed good enough to deal with the "Apple not supporting common standards" problem.

Unfortunately there are no resources to write apps for random Os-es out there. Which is also why we do not support Windows XP either explicitly (although it works there with some convincing and updates)

The Following User Says Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
-luckily the display is sunken in the shiny black plastick bezel, not sticking out, if you know what I mean (a design feature of the N9 and some Lumia's)
I forgot to ask: does this mean that you can put the phone down on any flat surface without fearing the glass touching it, avoiding silly scratches? This isn't quite obvious to appreciate from any picture I've seen. Please say yes :-)

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Do you really think many people are not using Calendar, Mail or Browser & Whatsapp?

wtf
I personally don't use Whatsapp.

In my job looking after web and mail servers I come across customers who do not use mail on their phones or desktops at all. They'll use gmail or my IMAP mail through the web interface as their scared off trying to set up a mail account with server names, port numbers and authentication.

Same goes for calendars. Honestly, I think some smartphone owners just use them for games/apps and completely miss out the PIM stuff as they can't figure out how to set it up if it's not handed to them in a one click and you're done UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Indeed if you find my post this is what I said. Apple broke MTP programs, not removed the support..It worked fine with the file tranfer app which we deemed good enough to deal with the "Apple not supporting common standards" problem.
I appreciate you have limited resources but it's obviously a bit of a gamble ceding an important part of the user experience to Apple and Google in this way.

Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Unfortunately there are no resources to write apps for random Os-es out there. Which is also why we do not support Windows XP either explicitly (although it works there with some convincing and updates)
I doubt anyone would expect Jolla to support Windows XP which is due to exit paid-for support next year (finally). The latest version of OSX however isn't a 'random OS' and since we're dealing with early adopters, non-business users and geeks there's probably a disproportionate amount of Mac users in Jolla's customer base.

As I said earlier, I'm ok with transferring files via sshfs over wifi but that's not really going to wash with less technical users who are used to just plugging a cable in.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I forgot to ask: does this mean that you can put the phone down on any flat surface without fearing the glass touching it, avoiding silly scratches? This isn't quite obvious to appreciate from any picture I've seen. Please say yes :-)
The display is not flush with the chassis top/bottom, as these areas (chassis top/bottom) are raised meaning the display is ever so slightly below it. But we're not talking a great deal, sub-1mm difference probably, and barely imperceptible. The difference might even be due to manufacturing tolerance. A small piece of grit on a desk would have no problem touching the display, despite the raised chassis.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
I personally don't use Whatsapp.

In my job looking after web and mail servers I come across customers who do not use mail on their phones or desktops at all. They'll use gmail or my IMAP mail through the web interface as their scared off trying to set up a mail account with server names, port numbers and authentication.

Same goes for calendars. Honestly, I think some smartphone owners just use them for games/apps and completely miss out the PIM stuff as they can't figure out how to set it up if it's not handed to them in a one click and you're done UI.
So smartphones are used as dumbphones and/or games by many users.
But for these users I guess Jolla is the wrong decision (-> games: iOS or Android)

So smartphones are used as dumbphones and/or games by many users.
But for these users I guess Jolla is the wrong decision (-> games: iOS or Android)
Totally. I've borrowed iPhones from family members that when you go into what they use it'll be...

Phone
SMS
Twitter
Facebook
Games
Snapchat
Instagram

They'll use gmail in the browser, enter their contacts twice in their phone and PC and the same with calendars.

I know someone with both an iPod and an iPhone because they weren't aware the iPod was redundant and you could sync your music on your iPhone. But also they're designer brand whores and it's two logos instead of one.

Some people just don't deserve smartphones.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
but that's not really going to wash with less technical users who are used to just plugging a cable in.
Unfortunately even plugging a right cable in is too much for many ordinary people that own smartphones

One feature that many ordinary people like in smartphones is the camera.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by olento View Post
- lack of Google Calendar (this is a must)
That is already available with Jolla for Google's paying customers.

Hopefully Jolla will soon support CalDav and it works with Goole. I don't currently use Google's calendar put I might be interested to use it for some use cases. I would also need better multicalendar support to actually use Google calendar

- lack of Wifi Hotspot (I saw somebody mentioning console hack for USB tethering, and it should be adequate for laptop use, but I'm using also wifi-only iPad and thus need the Wifi. Also I don't want to carry USB cable around to connect my laptop to internet. I'm travelling a lot and there aren't always free wifi connections around )
Unless there is a hardware limitation somebody will probably do that. Hopefully it would also work with Nexus 7 (infra vs ad-hoc).

- volume rocker button on my Jolla seems quite flimsy, there's ~ 0.5-0.8mm of leeway in the direction of front-backside. Haven't found any mention of this in earlier posts, so can somebody please confirm is this normal or should I RMA it? The power button seems ok.
Both volume rocker and power button has that problem on my Jolla.

- the hollow backside because of the Other Half makes the phone feel quite cheap. I should find something to stuff the phone with. maybe Blu-Tack (sinitarra)
I'm not sure what you mean.

- I miss the smart dialing system on my current phone. I'm not sure how to describe it, but let's try: To phone "john", i just dial 56 (jkl, nmo) and it starts making suggestions from the contacts list based on those number/alphabet combinations that they match. It's so much faster than selecting "J" and then scrolling around the contacts. Also it's a free search, so it matches all the fields. Is the contact list categorized based on surname or first name? It should't matter!
I would like something like that also for Email app's move to folder feature. I have lots of folders so it takes forever to scroll to the right one if the name of the folder is in the middle or the end of alphabets.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I know. Jolla is still lacking WPA EAP.
Use WPA2 AES! It's good for gaming and good for everything, now move on guys!

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience