Notices

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Merseyside
Originally Posted by spoonbuddy View Post
I struggle reading some stuff especially contacts numbers. I have started carrying a magnifying glass to read the geocaching maps as I would have for paper OS maps but find it all adds to the experience
Thats made me laugh, sorry!!!!

Originally Posted by misty View Post
I'm having trouble with it as when the arrow is showing I can only see 'target' and I can't see 'details' or 'map'. Its making it really hard for me to use, and it looks great. I like the fact I don't have to download a pocket query to use it.

ETA: Just realised why, I made the fonts bigger due to the fact that I struggled reading anyones contact details. Problem is I had to make them all bigger as I wasn't sure which part to alter for the contacts. Oh poo
Your post brought to my attention that the available space to the right side of the arrow is not very well used. I made some changes for the next version, which also should allow you to use your bigger fonts.

I struggle reading some stuff especially contacts numbers. I have started carrying a magnifying glass to read the geocaching maps as I would have for paper OS maps but find it all adds to the experience
I'm glad your enjoying the additional adventure feeling. I'm still searching for a clean solution for this issue.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
Originally Posted by webhamster View Post
I'm glad your enjoying the additional adventure feeling. I'm still searching for a clean solution for this issue.
I have a Nokia 5800 and you can download a photo flow type application originally written by Nokia Labs. When you double tap a thumbnail the image fills the screen. If you then press and hold, a virtual magnifying glass displays an enlarged portion of the image which you can move around. Now if you could do that it would be so cool.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Merseyside
Originally Posted by webhamster View Post
Your post brought to my attention that the available space to the right side of the arrow is not very well used. I made some changes for the next version, which also should allow you to use your bigger fonts.
Ooo thanks, shall keep an eye out for the next version.

You should do that anyway :-) I'm expecting to release the following updates (and more) into the wild:
- Sun Indicator. Because the N900 doesn't have a built in magnet compass, the display for the direction to the geocache is not always accurate, especially when one is not moving. Therefore, there's a small sun icon in the compass view. If you align the "real" sun with the icon, the direction to the geocache is correct, even when standing still. I will make a blog post about this later.
- Double map size. As requested here, you can now have the map displayed in double size to increase readability. It looks ugly, though.
- Increase of the overall speed. SQLite transactions where a bit of a bottleneck, this is how i speed thing up.
- No more out of bounds coordinates. Never get lost again in "Here Be Dragons" land. Scroll from Russia to America without going through Europe and the Atlantic Ocean :-)
- Better Coordinate Input. I played around with various coordinate input alternatives and found that the best one is the one from the legacy AGTL. The new one looks similar to this one, but a lot nicer.
- Browser links. You can now open the geocache page, the "post new log" page and the list of all logs via a link in the details tab.
- Proper no-fix handling. Until now, AGTL doesn't show you when it lost its GPS fix. This is essentially a shortcoming of the liblocation in maemo, but I found way to work around it. You will now see immediately when the signal is lost.

... and of course, as always, several bug fixes and minor changes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webhamster For This Useful Post:
Sounding good, Still really enjoying geocaching and your application, I've got the kids out geocaching now, they think it is christmas everytime we find a box full of goodies. Even found a geocoin, retrieved it and waiting for a good cache to leave it.

Like the sound of the sun indicator, not that we get a lot of sun here in the UK It will save my legs from having to determine direction.
Double map size sounds a little excessive, if you can I would suggest probably 25% increase. (I wish my eyes were 20 years younger)
Speed has never been a problem for me (another effect of old age)
Out of Bounds? I haven't even got a clue what that is.
Coordinate Input? another question mark, I still have a lot to learn.
Browser links. Not sure whether I will use links as this application is so complete I don't often have to go on line.
Proper no fix handling - A feature I hope I never see. An N900 losing GPS fix, surely this is never going to happen.

I would like to see an option for trackables though.

Thanks for the update, hope to see it in the wild soon

I would like to see an option for trackables though.
I considered that one already. Maybe this is a feature for the n+1 release.

Hi Webhamster - Thanks for all your hard work on AGTL - It's a fantasitc app which tempted me today to take my first steps into the world of geocaching.

I've been trying to work out for the last few hours whether I'm just being stupid, or if there's a problem with the app. It seems to insist that all co-ordinates entered are on easterly longitudes... As I live slap-bang on the grenwich meridian here, it's throwing off all my targets.

For example... Go into the GPS screen and pick 'Change Target'... Enter a Lat/Lon of N 51 19.243' W 0 02.065' and then click on OK....... The co-ordinates entered are changed to N 51 19.243' E 0 02.065.

The same behavior is seen within the calculator, with the longitude changing from W to E on the last step of the calculation.

From the main map, using the 'Use Centre as Target' correctly puts in westerly longitudes, but if you then go into the GPS screen, hit Set Target and then hit OK without changing anything, then the longitude switches to E and the target moves to the wrong place.

I spent a while staring at the python code this evening trying to work out where the change was taking place, but my wlan was being flakey and it was hard work reading the code on the n900's small screen - I decided I'd post instead.

Anyway.. thanks again for the great app. The co-ords bug didn't prevent me from finding the right place for the cache today

Last edited by Fecn; 2010-05-04 at 00:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fecn For This Useful Post:
Still enjoying your app, had a great day out with the family yesterday. Took a few photographs of the things we had found and the surrounding area. Is there a way to attach these images to the different caches?