Active Topics

Sailfish UI is closed. Glacier UI (WIP) is the UI of nemo

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Ok, I should probably do a bit more studying before I ask this question (as I would imagine it is already answered elsewhere), but what is the preferred target device right now for someone wanting to run Mer / Nemo? (Perhaps the Nexus 5?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
i have asked to stskeep and i am waiting for a reply.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Everyone here talking about opensource and really open project with TMO as important reference point...but on the other side, so much little interest about NEMO mobile thread. I really would like to know why you act in this way, please reply to me in that thread since i am feeling mind-fractured. just cant afford why call for a homemade cake and then no one is interested to contribute in his way in the process of cooking it.
I think the main difference is that in case of Maemo (and Sailfish OS) you have something that works and is actually day to day usable in most cases and with some rough edges here and there.

Basically, people are much more likely to help improve something that they can actually use, rather than something that while being completely open needs a substantial amount of work to get even remotely usable.

That (to reiterate for probably the hundredth time...) I think it was a big mistake not to make Sailfish OS fully open source (minus any third party licensed code of course) - it would get the Nemo mobile a working baseline (even if it had to replace Jollas trademarks, themes, etc.) on which it could then build its own specific initiatives, such as the Glacier UI.

And I'm sure it would also benefit Sailfish OS as many of the changes made by Nemo based contributors would be directly usable by Sailfish OS, it would also definitely help the reputation in the open source community and overall you want as many people as possible to use even your pre release software to spot possible bugs as early as possible.

I still hope that the possible dual licensing deal proposed by Stskeeps on the latest community meeting(described ~ in the middle of the article) comes through - even though it is certainly not something easy to do given the current situation.

Still, if the open sourcing can be done, the scenario described above might still happen at last.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
well i can understand . and thanks for you reply. however i think that, even if there is a lot of work to do, great things could be done on it. i am not a dev so i ask forgiven, but it seems working (for basic function)

PS: someone (JOLLA) invested money and efforts to make something usable, so I find really bad this approach to things. it sounds like, let them make the hardest work and then we can join and use it,contributing.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
The trouble with Glacier is that none of the people who envisioned it (including myself) had ever any free time to actually implement their vision.

Personally, I regret not spending more time on Nemo, but to be honest, I had (and still have) a lot of stuff going on in my life. I haven't given up on eventually rejoining ― but realized just now that by that time it might be too late.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I haven't given up on eventually rejoining ― but realized just now that by that time it might be too late.
Too late, in terms of there being something better available? I'd be interested to hear what that would be; I was personally expecting Sailfish to be my nearly-open mobile Linux OS for the future, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I'm not really big on going Android, but right now, that's all I'm seeing that would be anything close, other than Mer / Nemo...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Too late, in terms of there being something better available? I'd be interested to hear what that would be; I was personally expecting Sailfish to be my nearly-open mobile Linux OS for the future, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I'm not really big on going Android, but right now, that's all I'm seeing that would be anything close, other than Mer / Nemo...
Too late, meaning that by that time there may be no project to rejoin... I hope that won't be the case though.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
and Venemo since you are a developer, with an hypotetically adeguate revenue from donations for developing it, would you be more on the track?
I understand there could be a lot of things in life that are so much more important, but i want to ask if it is a (absolutely reasonable) matter of " i have to spend my time working, cause i have to mantein my projects and family" or just "i have more interesting things to do". i ask you this without any bad intention, really want to know if with donations really things could change. i am perfectly in agreement with paying for a service or work of someone else.

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
and Venemo since you are a developer, with an hypotetically adeguate revenue from donations for developing it, would you be more on the track? I understand there could be a lot of things in life that are so much more important, but i want to ask if it is a (absolutely reasonable) matter of " i have to spend my time working, cause i have to mantein my projects and family" or just "i have more interesting things to do". i ask you this without any bad intention, really want to know if with donations really things could change. i am perfectly in agreement with paying for a service or work of someone else.
Back in 2012-2013 I had a stable job and a lot of free time. These days I study at university and while at it I try to work on some projects to get some revenue until I get my degree.

So I guess that the answer to your question might be yes. If I didn't have to worry about finances, I could devote more time to things I'm interested in (instead of things that are not interesting but are done for the money).

EDIT: no promises though, it's gonna be pretty tough to get through my studies, so I haven't a clue about whether I would be able to contribute in a meaningful way until I finish.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: