Notices

3G launched today in india... n with all excitement i went on to make a video call from my n900 just to realize that n900 doesnt support video calls... is thr any app or method to do so...? saw posts abt amkin a video call n everywhr its explained how to make video calls wid gtalk n skype... i already know that...i wanna know abt v-calls on "3G"...

The Following User Says Thank You to Rajjain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
The default firmware for India does not support Skype... search these forums for advice (maybe to use the Global firmware)

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
the N900 does not support video calling (3G type your referring to). Only GTalk and Skype video calls are allowed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
You can skype over 3g but there's no 'video calling' facility per se.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Rajjain View Post
3G launched today in india... n with all excitement i went on to make a video call from my n900 just to realize that n900 doesnt support video calls... is thr any app or method to do so...?
no, the n900 is not designed to make video calls, and there's no 3rd party application you could install to make them work. (it's just not a good *phone*, you see.)

i wonder if somebody smart could write an application to fill the gap - or if this door will remain closed forever because the OS doesn't expose the hooks needed for this. (MMS wasn't supported either on the N900 and is now possible via fMMS - so you never know...)

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bangalore
which part of india r u from and who is the operator
is that tata docomo i guess....

Video calls are deffinately possible via google chat or skype

I dont know if its possible using 3G, but a regular voice call certainly works over 3G very well.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by amjad489 View Post
which part of india r u from and who is the operator
That's irrelevant, the N900 simply can't do it.

Originally Posted by batman View Post
Video calls are deffinately possible via google chat or skype
Neither Google Chat nor Skype are 3G Video Calls; they're video chats than can work over a 3G network (or not, depending on the network).

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
I use 3G video calls all the time. Sure you can say it is video chat, but the point is, I choose a contact, make a call that contains video over 3G. Technicalities will have people thinking that the above isn't possible on the N900. The other phones like the Sprint 4G and MyTouch 4G do the same thing, use a 3rd party app (Qik) to video call/chat. It just so happens that the N900s 3rd party apps are GTalk and Skype.

I'm not a techie.. so when i say it is possible to use the N900 for video calls I was just saying it is possible to use the N900 to make and recieve video calls using a program like skype or google chat.