Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by zod View Post
You can now use 'blue arrow' along with proximity sensor. No point to make it configurable anymore I think.
Thanks! for me, it fulfills my needs (as I was using blue arrow for right click, everywhere) - no idea about other people, that might have other preferences or not?)

About hovering. Where do you use it? For edge scroll? Drag scroll works well. Or just not to make accidental clicks?
The latter - for example, while covering with my "crosshair" (shooting mode), to determine location of an Alien that my soldiers report to see and is shown as blue dot in minimap, but I can't pinpoint on battlescape, for a life of mine

Also, there is (build-in the openxcom releases, disabled by default) option that enables accuracy decreasing (for both your soldiers and aliens) with distance - while using it, it is worthwhile to check predicted accuracy before shooting, by hovering.

Last but not least - even if not using above option, in times, it may be quite hard to select the spot you want to shoot, without accidentally shooting one tile to the left, right, up or down There is option that require additional click to confirm shoots, but hovering is just, well, more convenient to use.

Actually it was lastest git. I didn't add revision to version string because scratchboxes git (which I used) doesn't have --tags option. Now its added.
Oh, great to hear, I haven't had idea. Now I can enable all those awesome "vanilla experience extended" things that people have created... silly me, I was so sure that it's milestone 1.0, that I haven't even tried (after doing so in 1.0 on my desktop and resulting in instant-crash, which prompted me to compile latest git).

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Nävis View Post
What's the exact directory where I am supposed to copy the original Xcom files? I have them now in ~/MyDocs/openxcom/data, but that does not seem to work.
You must copy everything under data to /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom
or just chage symlink /opt/maemo/usr/share/games/openxcom to point to
/home/user/MyDocs/openxcom/data.
Also make sure you have OpenXcom specific files there. For example 'Language' directory.
If you have .mid files under ~/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/SOUND then you must install timidity-freepats package.

1. I have noticed that postinst scripts (or preinst, whatever) are doing something strange. For example, when I had oryginal x-com files inside arbitrary folder on MyDocs, openxcom installer tried to copy them into game on it's own, throwing few hundred errors along the way.

Considering, that installation is taking "ages", I guess that it does some find or whatsnot, and tries to locate original data files on it's own. While it may have (arguably) some sense on desktop, it's complete pointless on N900, and I would suggest disabling such behavior.

2. I've noticed that default controls config is quite not N900-friendly too (many things binded to keys not present on N900, using enter instead of return, etc). I have changed config to bind things making use of N900 keyboard - if it's helpful, I can publish it for including into release.

3. There is minor glitch with the blue_arrow key hardcoded usage - it's not possible to enter numbers (or any other "blue" keys) while naming bases, crafts, soldiers, etc.

4. Maybe it's not most common use case, but hard-coded binds may be a little cumbersome for people that connect N900 to big screens via TV out, and play with keyboard/mouse connected (USB via hostmode or bluetooth mode). Homeworld SDL:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85104

...is a nice example of Maemo-specific port that handles both N900-only usage and external keyboard/mouse. Maybe it would be worthwhile to borrow they patches?

Apart from the above minor glitches, it works like a charm, thanks!

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

1) already fixed (will upload soon)
2) it would be useful. even better if you just list keys you changed so I can change them in default conf and also change them in existing config file (postinst script will do that).
3) I'll look into it
4) imho homeworld's source is not available. Let me know when you find it somwhere.
btw what about external keyboard/mouse? they doesn't work in games at all?

The Following User Says Thank You to zod For This Useful Post:
1) already fixed (will upload soon)
Thanks!

2) it would be useful. even better if you just list keys you changed so I can change them in default conf and also change them in existing config file (postinst script will do that).
Here we go - in the post attachment, there is a diff file that describes keybinds that got changes vs. keybinds present on default openxcom config (the one that is created after you nuke your config file, and start game).

The issue from 3) (blue_arrow keys, like numbers) is preventing creating a more convenient config (making use of lvl 3 keys, the "blue" ones) - also, I haven't changed the things binded to numbers, as I still hope it will work later on

3) I'll look into it
Thanks again. The more "serious" cae where the bugs manifest itself - apart from the rather minor thing about naming things - is when you try to bind something to numbers or any other blue_arrow key. I have written "serious" in quotas, as it's not a game breaker by any means - everything is perfectly playable, even without it, as openxcom doesn't have tons of keys and we can, after some exercise, bind everything to lvl 1 keys - but, for sure, using blue keys would be convenient.

BTW, now, after you press blue key, the actions is instantly binded to "Alt_Gr" (aka, the thing that our blue key is, in reality).

4) imho homeworld's source is not available. Let me know when you find it somwhere.
btw what about external keyboard/mouse? they doesn't work in games at all?
Ough - missed the fact. I've pinged gdizzz about sources, I'm sure he will make them available, soon. Will get you know when it happens, for sure.

As for external mouse, when you click right button, the input "freezes" until you release it (so it works, essentially, like touchscreen tap). This makes it unusable for things like dragging. Not a big deal, seriously, (you can still use middle mouse button just fine) I was just wondering if it could be avoided without much hassle

/Estel
Attached Files
File Type: tar keybinding.diff.tar (10.0 KB, 184 views)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
The issue from 3) (blue_arrow keys, like numbers) is preventing creating a more convenient config (making use of lvl 3 keys, the "blue" ones) - also, I haven't changed the things binded to numbers, as I still hope it will work later on
This behavior is not maemo-specific. We have enough keys so 'wontfix'. Btw same applies to 'shift' and other modifiers.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for external mouse, when you click right button, the input "freezes" until you release it (so it works, essentially, like touchscreen tap). This makes it unusable for things like dragging. Not a big deal, seriously, (you can still use middle mouse button just fine) I was just wondering if it could be avoided without much hassle
That's odd. Under scratchbox right drag works normally.

I changed some default keys:
Code:
keyIgnoreClick: SDLK_LSHIFT
keyRightClick: SDLK_MODE, proximity
keyCancel: SDLK_BACKSPACE
keyBattleReserveNone: SDLK_a
keyBattleReserveSnap: SDLK_s
keyBattleReserveAimed: SDLK_d
keyBattleReserveAuto: SDLK_f
keyBattlePrevUnit: SDLK_z
keyBattleNextUnit: SDLK_x
keyBattleLevelUp: SDLK_p
keyBattleLevelDown: SDLK_PERIOD
keyBattleCenterUnit: SDLK_c
keyGeoToggleDetail: SDLK_q
keyGeoZoomIn: SDLK_l
keyGeoZoomOut: SDLK_PERIOD
keyBattleDeselectUnit: SDLK_w
keyBattleZeroTUs: SDLK_g
Also default FPS_limit set to 20 to give CPU some rest.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Russia Saratov

This behavior is not maemo-specific. We have enough keys so 'wontfix'. Btw same applies to 'shift' and other modifiers.
Well, if we "lose" number keys, then we *don't* have enough keys to bind everything that openxcom offers. Also, while I agree that modifier combos are not handled in mainstream openxcom, I would argue that Maemo's Alt_Gr is very specific case - it provides basic functionality things (numbers, punctuations), that elsewhere, are available without any modifiers. Practically, it works like "Fn" keys on notebook keyboards, but in the latter case, it is "wired" hardware way, so "Fn" is transparent to operating system. In our case, while it provides same functionality, transparency is not present.

Although, I agree that openxcom on Maemo is 100% playable without those keys, too (just dropping things like automatically centering on spotted enemies, etc), thanks to UI buttons on screen.

Thanks for binding hovering modifier to shift!

/Estel

// Edit

Updating openxcom results in following (and similar, "offending" file names just change) error:

Code:
Preparing to replace openxcom 1.0r558-maemo5 (using .../openxcom_1.0r558-maemo7_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement openxcom ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openxcom_1.0r558-maemo7_armel.deb (--unpack):
 error setting ownership of `./opt/maemo/usr/share/games/openxcom/Language/FontBig.png': Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openxcom_1.0r558-maemo7_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Of course, nuking openxcom data directory "solves" the problem. In fact, it was the same with earlier updates, I just forget to report it.

// Edit 2

It also still does more than hundred of:

Code:
v: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Resources/UI': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Resources': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/ROUTES/FIRES.RMP': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/ROUTES/INTERC.RMP': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/ROUTES': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/en-US.yml': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/FontGeoBig.png': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/FontSmall.png': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/en-GB.yml': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/FontBig.png': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/Font.dat': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language/FontGeoSmall.png': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom/Language': Operation not permitted
mv: can't preserve ownership of '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/OpenXcom': Operation not permitted
...things, resulting in installation taking "ages".
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2014-11-08 at 12:22.

Seems that dh_install doesn't work with vfat. Also postinst was broken because I have ext3 formatted MyDocs.
Try to update. Should be fine now (I hope).

Just a little head-up - I've pointed the port to openxcom team some time ago, and I've just received a back message - they're going to put it in full glory at the official openxcom download site:
http://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/

Hooray!

// Edit

And there it is! Lovely to see Maemo's logo next to Debians or OpenPandora's ones.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2014-12-07 at 23:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: