WebOS seems to have the most affinity with Maemo/MeeGo, but since you'll only see WebOS on HP hardware, let's talk hardware.

The Palm Pre 2 doesn't have a compass. The Palm Pre 3 specs say compass (also for Veer?), but I think it's CPU is single core. I say sit back and wait. HP is making a good effort, but they're playing catchup at the moment and their hardware might leave some people wanting.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
WebOS seems to have the most affinity with Maemo/MeeGo, but since you'll only see WebOS on HP hardware, let's talk hardware.

The Palm Pre 2 doesn't have a compass. The Palm Pre 3 specs say compass (also for Veer?), but I think it's CPU is single core. I say sit back and wait. HP is making a good effort, but they're playing catchup at the moment and their hardware might leave some people wanting.
Okay, but isn't their hardware already better then what we have on the N900? I don't think we can count on a credible device upgrade from Nokia anymore so even the current HP WebOS devices don't have every bell and whistle, it's still better then what we've got.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Okay, but isn't their hardware already better then what we have on the N900? I don't think we can count on a credible device upgrade from Nokia anymore so even the current HP WebOS devices don't have every bell and whistle, it's still better then what we've got.
If so, how much better? Compared to the current landscape, it seems too incremental. I'm looking for a hardware leap. If the n900 had a compass I wouldn't even be looking. 2011 is gonna be a good year for hardware offerings. I still say wait.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
If so, how much better? Compared to the current landscape, it seems too incremental. I'm looking for a hardware leap. If the n900 had a compass I wouldn't even be looking. 2011 is gonna be a good year for hardware offerings. I still say wait.
I agree to wait. But primarily I'm waiting because Maemo is still better then WebOS. In a year or so, I'm afraid that won't be the case so I'm mentally preparing myself to migrate.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
you forget that hardware is not all. I have heard plenty of people complaining about laggy Android even if it the HW is sometimes faster than HP:s webos based HW or N900.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I beginning to think HP WebOS is my next OS its a shame it isnt fully opensource :-(
But then again, what is?

It's very tempting, possibly even the most viable alternative out there at the moment, but I'll wait to hear whether they stopped spying on customers first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
@daperl OT: Why is a compass so important to you?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
HP phone design is ugly as F**K. I want something more elegance and sexy. Make it a slim 4.0" and provide all the goodies hardware then I'll be all in baby.

For now the OS is great but the device is not so..

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
@daperl OT: Why is a compass so important to you?
The origin of the Big Bang is the limit. Augmented reality is only at the zygote stage, and handhelds aren't the endgame, but they're a good start.

Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
I tried to register on developer.palm.com as a developer.
If you're like me and live outside of these countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Republic of, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Martinique, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Somalia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela
though luck, you can't... unless... you know, you lie.
You can register for their board.
I started a thread there, asking around if there are others like me, but nothing yet. Join me : http://developer.palm.com/distributi...p?f=21&t=11260

They have a program now, Developer Device Program. http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...rticle&id=2129

As I know any newly registered developer can ask for the coupon.
It will be in effect till June 30th 2011.
It's only available in US.

Hope HP will start broadening their borders, shortly... if not they will probably loose lot of developers, from here, who will instead go for Android.
Last time I saw, Android had the same restrictions. I know because currently I live in Peru (which is in South America, same region than Argentina, Chile, Brazil, which are neighboring countries) and a friend couldn't register. We can't buy paid apps on the Market either. Hell, I can't even download Skype!

Same restrictions for the Ovi Store, btw.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post: