Active Topics

I installed PR1.1 via OTA this morning then fully recharged and rebooted 2-3 times. I do have the browse portrait easter egg enabled bu the browse was not open/running at the time

-no wifi
- using at&t 2G
- no apps running(or in background), only xterminal, phone is pretty much idle
- configured for nokia messaging, 30 mins update
- logged into google/skpye accounts

I've been tracking my battery life over the last 7 days and today I've noticed a huge battery drain. It went from 78% - 62% free in 1.5 hours. I would usually only drain 2-3% in 1.5 hours.

My phone is completely stock, no apps installed. I was tracking the battery from 09:30 - 12:30, everything looked great

at 13:00 I noticed the red exclaimation circle telling me I'm unable to login to google IM. I left it for 15 mins and then checked battery. drained to 72%. Noticed the phone warmer than usual

I then disabled both google/skpye IM account. Noted the availability circle gone, assumed I have logged out.
30 mins later, the battery drops from 72% to 62%. I try to log in to google IM again.. no luck

- 12:30 I had 78% battery left
- 13:00 I had 72% battery left
- 13:30 I had 62% battery left

I reboot and can immediately login to google IM.

There is no change to my usage pattern or location, I can say for sure that PR1.1 or the prior minor firmware has caused this battery drain bug. Not sure if it only happens once IM accounts cannot login or something has caused the IM account unable to login and needs a reboot.

Looks like we have a new drain bug which occurs outside of wifi! horrible!
This needs to be investigated ASAP!

Last edited by bugelrex; 2010-01-14 at 18:53.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Have you ran the top command at the terminal? Which are the top programs running and their percentage of CPU?

Originally Posted by dalonso View Post
Have you ran the top command at the terminal? Which are the top programs running and their percentage of CPU?
unfortunately I did not. If it happens again I will..
I'm sure it will happen again as I've had the device 2 weeks and have beein doing the exact same routine.. no problems until today after the update.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
It sounds to me there is nothing unusual going on, except unable to login for some reason. Direct result of that is constant use of bandwidth and cell modem, plus CPU usage to run IM login all the time. Those "drain" battery by causing device not being able to reach deep sleep states, plus the cell modem usage.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I advice too install an widget that shows cpu and memory usage.
Once i had a program that stuck at background when i saw that i did an reboot.

Last edited by CarstenDutch; 2010-01-14 at 19:35.

Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
It sounds to me there is nothing unusual going on, except unable to login for some reason. Direct result of that is constant use of bandwidth and cell modem, plus CPU usage to run IM login all the time. Those "drain" battery by causing device not being able to reach deep sleep states, plus the cell modem usage.
Could be true, but I could login when I rebooted. So something still caused the IM to deny login (confirmed login was fine in PC and then logged out).

I have been told that Nokia Headquarter have been secretly checking on your front cam....to observe human distress behavior...that'll explain why the battery drain.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
filed bug: 8004 to keep track of this...

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8004

This does not sound like a bug. Disable gmail client and see if the drain continues. If it doesn't then as you say it is related to failed login attempts. There are numerous reasons on why it might not have connected. I would try to delete your google talk account and then re-add it and see if you have the same issues. I'm betting your account info might have been corrupted during your update. That is a stretch though, just a thought.

2d

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
This does not sound like a bug. Disable gmail client and see if the drain continues. If it doesn't then as you say it is related to failed login attempts. There are numerous reasons on why it might not have connected. I would try to delete your google talk account and then re-add it and see if you have the same issues. I'm betting your account info might have been corrupted during your update. That is a stretch though, just a thought.

2d
Must be a pretty aggressive retry algorithm...
I'm going to keep both IM account open to see if the issue happens again (and this time get a 'top' output). If it is corruption, it could only be 'memory' related as logged in successfully after a reboot.

I've been tracking the battery life for the last 9 days, every 2-4 hours keeping a log. Wanted to see how good the battery really is before I install more apps.

Thats why I noticed this problem immediately.