Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
36. Though - it doesn't matter how he died.

We've lost someone, a close friend and the family have lost a fiance and a father - reasons why it happened doesn't change anything about the fact. Speculation doesn't add anything useful. What-if's can't bring him back. He will live on within our memories of him and in the software, ideas and data he has contributed.
You are right.
It does not matter.
Sorry if I said/wrote something wrong.

Otoh I wonder, how many people around me that are much younger than I am, are suffering from leukemia.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
From Kathy on mailing list:

Hi all,

Have had a message asking people not to send gifts to the paypal on liqbase. It's in Tracey's name but linked to Gary's bank account so frozen till the estate is settled. We'll work out something for cards, flowers etc.

Thanks
K

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
From @RevdKathy on twitter:

#maemo #meego please don't send donations to the paypal account at liqbase - it's linked to Gary's bank account so frozen and inaccessible

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
You people are quick. Yes, Tracy says that the account is in her namje, but linked to Gary's bank account. That will, of course, be frozen until his estate is all tied up and settled.

I do have Gary's home address, and Tracy is happy for cards and flowers to be sent there. Would people like me to make a collection? Or would it be better if someone else did that? I shall be sending a card myself anyway. I have emailed the council and suggested that they might like to organise something.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Would people like me to make a collection?
I think you're trusted by everyone that I can think of, at least, so personally I would like you to.

Count me in for contributing to a collection.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thank you. I'll look at arranging something if the council want. Or supporting one of them to do it.

Edit: I now have the address for the Funeral director. If people want to send cards, they can send them to Tracy Brooke c/o
J Dyson Funeral Director
313 Wash Brook
Chadderton
Oldham
OL9 8JL

They will also be taking cheque donations in lieu of flowers - but they will need to be made out to the chosen charity - and I don't think Tracy has chosen yet. Because this was so sudden and unexpected, there will need to be a post mortem, and the coronor will open and inquest and adjourn - and all that has to happen before the funeral preparations can start. Which of course makes it all nastier for the family.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2011-09-15 at 17:18.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for being the intermediary between the family and the community, Kathy. I know it can't be easy, but I certainly am appreciative for the information you are able to provide and the coordination you are arranging.

It is heartening to see the outpouring of positive memories of Gary from the community. I have so many memories of Gary at Amsterdam and Dublin, and conversations we had in the virtual world.

Gary was a one-of-a-kind human being and I am glad I could call him friend.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
There's a facebook page people can add to here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/258200524214288/

(pity we couldn't get a diaspora page but it's not quite cooked yet, is it?)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland

This is very, very sad news. My sincere condolences for his family and friends. I will always remember him as utmost friendly, a little but positively crazy and prominent community member. He was one of a kind.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
I didn't know him but from what you all say I am confident that he is in a calm and happy place.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect