Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by teh View Post
At the moment, there is no phone out there that does what the N900 does for me.

I don't do a massive amount with my N900, but the change would make life difficult. The horizontalness is my favourite feature. Its got a great media player (although it could do with a better gui, but I can stream internet radio so we're good). And it just works. I don't have to faf around with turning off internet things because they want to keep connecting, and the multitasking will always be inferior to everything else.

If meego is any good I may move to that if its as open as Maemo is to abuse.
and what does your n900 what any other phone doesn't?
every feature on n900 is available out there in a app or integrated in a phone.
except the aircrack gui and this is a reason why i will not sell my n900 if i upgrade to a newer one.....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
and what does your n900 what any other phone doesn't?
An officially supported distribution of Linux, without jailbreak/root. I don't know how well hacked iPhones and Android phones do at handling phone calls, but I'm not willing to spend the bucks to find out.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
An officially supported distribution of Linux, without jailbreak/root. I don't know how well hacked iPhones and Android phones do at handling phone calls, but I'm not willing to spend the bucks to find out.
Probably better than a N900 with extras-devel stuff installed (couple of my friends have rooted Android phones while my uncles have jailbreaked iPhones). I think that has more to do with how they handle calls (e.g. drop everything else and respond to the call).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
I'm glad to see more and more people are realizing N900 was terrible.
As much as everyone says iPhone is bad with "less features than N900", the iPhone4 has been great so far and I've really enjoyed having it.

The phone does everything it's meant to do quickly and smoothly. Email works so well (both work and personal) with easy to set up push that doesn't kill the battery as insanely fast as the N900 did. SMS loads really fast, OS runs way smoother as well. The phone is thinner and lighter as well.

Additionally, a lot of people nowadays use phones more and more not for just talking, sms or email but also to socialize via games etc. Most of my friends use iPhone which makes playing games etc with them easier.

I have loved having and iPhone ever since I got it, and I can see myself loving an Android device as well. Never again will I look at the N900 and think I missed out on anything. So thick, heavy and took much more effort to have things running smoothly.

N900 had an upper hand over maybe the 3Gs, but iPhone4 blew it out of the water (and only 6 months later). Equal to better resolution, camera is just as good as N900 (if not better) and more importantly, CAPACITIVE screen. What advantage does resistive have now. I can go snowboarding with my iPhone and still use it with gloves now (given I have the special tabs on my gloves, and it works perfectly).

The Following User Says Thank You to archzai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Probably better than a N900 with extras-devel stuff installed (couple of my friends have rooted Android phones while my uncles have jailbreaked iPhones). I think that has more to do with how they handle calls (e.g. drop everything else and respond to the call).
Well, cool then. But yeah, I still believe hacking your phone that way is, like you suggest, very much like installing untested stuff from extras-devel on it. I just don't trust the level of quality control for software that is, in essence, illegal...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2011-01-29 at 01:27. Reason: Missed a word

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
I'm glad to see more and more people are realizing N900 was terrible.

As much as everyone says iPhone is bad with "less features than N900", the iPhone4 has been great so far and I've really enjoyed having it.
Well, I'm glad to see that you've found a device you are happy with. I would hope, however, that you not be so concerned with those of us who are, instead, thrilled with the feature set of the n900. I went the opposite direction you did, moving away from the glitzy-but-shallow world of iOS and into the wide-open vista of Maemo; after years of having tiny little apps spoon-fed to me, it is simply exhilarating to have a phone ready and willing to do whatever I tell it to do.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I love my n900 and I wait patiently to see if Meego can make me fall in love again.

I've never had the slightest bit of interest in owning an iphone. And android phones just seem to be incredibly privacy invasive for no good reason.

Give me straight up linux, or give me a dumbphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to anonymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
I have loved having and iPhone ever since I got it, and I can see myself loving an Android device as well. Never again will I look at the N900 and think I missed out on anything. So thick, heavy and took much more effort to have things running smoothly.
In the end it depends on what you wanted the N900 for. I have a feeling for most people the N900 wasn't the right choice if they were looking for an Android or IOS experience. I for one have plans on the N900 living as long as the hardware (USB port, and battery) keeps on working.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
In the end it depends on what you wanted the N900 for. I have a feeling for most people the N900 wasn't the right choice if they were looking for an Android or IOS experience. I for one have plans on the N900 living as long as the hardware (USB port, and battery) keeps on working.
So said all the Zaurus users with their open (wide open with open Zaurus) Devices. Now try finding the Zaurus community and one live user who uses it still.

Don't get married to your device man. Life continues and so does the progression of devices to make life easier and older unsupported devices become - old and useless. Just embrace the change.

And hoping that Nokia too continues with the change with N9 and supports it (unlike the N900).

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
I had used N900 for 9 months and now I want to switch to htc desire hd. I want to know your ideas.
Whatever you do, do not get an iPhone!

I lost my N900 last month, I had it for a year.
So I had to get something quickly.

After a week without a phone and lots of researching on the XDA forms I decided to go for a used HTC Desire HD.
I rooted the bastard, full wiped, installed Android Revolution HD (android 2.2.1)... and now I almost feel happy that I lost my N900.

Now only after 2 full weeks using this, I am not giving up on Android.
Unless Nokia really blows my mind with the N9 or something else.

But after 1 full year with the N900 and the terrible support/updates from Nokia. I don't think so.

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2011-01-29 at 14:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows