Active Topics

I have enjoyed N900 for more than a year till now. But a few things are getting more and more annoying with the increasing of my PHONE(other than the computer functions) usage:
- The screen keeps black with a call coming no matter what I do. I have to call people back after some embarrassing moment, this has happened a couple times already.
- It responds so slow at times. Such as the screen keeps black when I want to dial extensions for a phone call. I need to wait at least 3 seconds before I can switch to other programs right after a phone call.

I know I cannot find a phone can be this powerful(I don't mean fast CPU, but N900 can do lots of things that other phones cannot). But if I want to switch to another phone, what would be the best solution. Please share your options.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kangyu29 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What kind of things can your N900 do that a lot of other phones cannot do that you're looking for in some other phone?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What kind of things can your N900 do that a lot of other phones cannot do that you're looking for in some other phone?
Actually, I use those functions very rare, but they are there, I know I can use them when I want. On the other hand, I don't really have to have them in the next phone.

I might not right about "other phones cannot do", but I'd like to have:
- record every phone call automatically as recaller can do.
- functions that Conky has.
- I can install dictionary MStardict
Oh and
- ssh to my lab computers, for file transfer and use programs with X-windows

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kangyu29 View Post
Actually, I use those functions very rare, but they are there, I know I can use them when I want. On the other hand, I don't really have to have them in the next phone.

I might not right about "other phones cannot do", but I'd like to have:
- record every phone call automatically as recaller can do.
- functions that Conky has.
- I can install dictionary MStardict
Oh and
- ssh to my lab computers, for file transfer and use programs with X-windows
I can at least help you see what the equivalents are in Android, there:

- You mean like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...g.callrecorder or like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...lrecall.market (There seems to be many but these looked pretty good as the free and pay-for options.)

- Conky can probably easily be replaced by any number of widgets that report information, actually. There are many such apps and desktop widgets. For example: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...-widget-35933/

- There are a plethora of dictionary apps and Android's keyboards tend to come built-in with dictionary for spellcheck. Gingerbread (Android 2.3) in particular has an INSANELY comprehensive and multi-language dictionary available (you can even install any number of them and simply swipe your finger across the spacebar to instantly switch dictionaries even while you're typing)

- SSH itself is no problem with ConnectBot, but you won't be able to remotely use X for obvious reasons--good luck finding ANYTHING outside of Maemo/MeeGo on a handset to do that. On the other hand, VNC works perfectly and it's how I was able to remotely connect to my home server while I was on a train for a couple of days each way across the country back in November, using my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Maybe someone can offer suggestions for another platform's equivalent (WebOS, iOS, etc.) of these features/apps.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I have enjoyed N900 for more than a year till now. But a few things are getting more and more annoying with the increasing of my PHONE(other than the computer functions) usage:
- The screen keeps black with a call coming no matter what I do. I have to call people back after some embarrassing moment, this has happened a couple times already.
- It responds so slow at times. Such as the screen keeps black when I want to dial extensions for a phone call. I need to wait at least 3 seconds before I can switch to other programs right after a phone call.

I know I cannot find a phone can be this powerful(I don't mean fast CPU, but N900 can do lots of things that other phones cannot). But if I want to switch to another phone, what would be the best solution. Please share your options.
Looks like a problem on the proximity sensor affected by magnet in your pouch. ^^

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
I'll buy another n900 while it's still for sale. Nothing in the market right now that can replace the multitasking of n900, not to mention the openness of this phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010

The N900 is a pocketable Linx box with phone funcionality. There are no other devices with comparable functionality. I will suggest you get a dumbphone in addition to the N900. Or maybe a Symbian phone like the E51 or 6700 Slide or similar.

Next phone must be able to multitask like a whore,
Have a community like this
Multitouch
KeyBoard
Infrared port (And the apps to go with it..duh...)
Oh it needs Maemo or Meego
And the best browser out (MicroB)

Because the android and iOS browser,

Still suck in comparison.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catacylsm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Combo of:

-Surf the web without need for "apps" front or tin client thanks to excellent browser and top notch resistive touch screen...

-Surf the web mobile without adds (Adblock / Noscript /
-Maemo multitask interface (although I expect the competition will copy it at some point in time - Android 4.0 or something)
-Draw and write with stylus, with pressure sensitive input.
-HW Keyb (I expect the competition will copy it at some point in time)
-Integrated Skype and SIP
-Play Wagic
-Practice Linux commands
-Enjoy enhanced "Mugen" Power bat
-FM Radio transmitter
-Debian + Open Office , The Gimp

Loads of really useful applications such as Front View etc that make this N900 a joy to use. (But those may be available on other platforms, I did not check)

a proud iPhone 4 buyer was waiting for the staff to apply his screen protector and witnessed us pay a Macbook via Online banking using the Stylus and Hardware keyboard efficiently without stress, without app on N900.
I saw him wondering how he would do that on his iPhone. I am sure he can, but not to suffer he needs to select a bank that has written an app for his phone , so unbelievable 2007

N900 rules

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
l probadly will go for HP pro 3

Tags
maemo rocks, meego rocks, meego?hell no!