Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi,
Whenever i try activating mass storage mode, i get the following error on my N9: "Can't connect to USB while your phone's memory is in use". I've tried re-booting but to no avail.

I've checked the fastern9 and system-ui threads nobody there has any problems. till i installed these two there wasn't any issue.

Is there any method to find out what is using the phone's memory that doesn't allow it to connect to USB.

thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Sync and Connect as well as SDK mode flawlessly. Tried changing usb ports, usb cable, drive letter but to no avail.

Edit 2: Solved thanks to mrsellout. i'd enabled logging for emails. disabling it solved the issue.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-05-30 at 21:24. Reason: Solved

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
anybody with any idea pls?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
lsof will show you which files are being accessed, try running that to see what's open when you're trying to go into mass storage mode.

Code:
lsof > open_files
The file open_files contains a list of every process and which file it's using.

Another alternative is to use sshfs to mount the drive from your linux box, and transfer files that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
i've done that and got this: http://db.tt/MJf1ZDK4
however i don't see where any file that would affect the system is being used. could someone help me in figuring out what the output actually means.

Edit: in windows currently when i go to computer, removable disk is present but greyed out. clicking it asks to insert a disk into Removable Disk. In Disk Management also it shows Drive E as No Media.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-05-30 at 20:26.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
There's four log files being written inside MyDocs:

Code:
fenix     2726       user    5w      REG      179,1   818483      239 /home/user/MyDocs/fenix.log
as-daemon 1331       user    9w      REG      179,1  6253653      137 /home/user/MyDocs/activesync.log
messagese 1341       user    9w      REG      179,1 15261436      332 /home/user/MyDocs/messageserver.log
msgindexe 1642       user    3w      REG      179,1  2050170      333 /home/user/MyDocs/msgindexer.log
Try having a look inside to see what's being logged to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
thanks alot mrsellout. i'd enabled logging for email a few days ago hence the trouble. sorry for troubling you and thanks for your help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey,

I just run into the same/similar problem and unfortunately it is not solved yet.
Out of the blue I do get those error message (together with not enough power fromUSB to charge device, but afterwards it charges). And I cannot get a mass storage connection to the PC (2 types, different cables). I checked lsof, but nothing from MyDocs after reboot.
The MyDocs gets unmounted, but keeps unmounted even after unplugging USB.
Furthermore on the PC the number of drives enumerates up to 6 drives, but all are empty.
After unpluging MyDocs keeps unmounted.

I also played around withmodules g_nokia, g_ether, g_file_storage (resp. th different connection modes) in various orders.
All to no avail.

I really would appreciate any help.

P.S.: I thought it was ubiboot (latest version just upgraded), but I went back to an older version where I definitely did nothave this behaviour. Still the same.

Only difference I can now imagine/remember is that I have once/twice booted to FirefoxOS, but hey: Nothing to do with, or?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey,

I just run into the same/similar problem and unfortunately it is not solved yet.
Out of the blue I do get those error message (together with not enough power fromUSB to charge device, but afterwards it charges). And I cannot get a mass storage connection to the PC (2 types, different cables). I checked lsof, but nothing from MyDocs after reboot.
The MyDocs gets unmounted, but keeps unmounted even after unplugging USB.
Furthermore on the PC the number of drives enumerates up to 6 drives, but all are empty.
After unpluging MyDocs keeps unmounted.

I also played around withmodules g_nokia, g_ether, g_file_storage (resp. th different connection modes) in various orders.
All to no avail.

I really would appreciate any help.

P.S.: I thought it was ubiboot (latest version just upgraded), but I went back to an older version where I definitely did nothave this behaviour. Still the same.

Only difference I can now imagine/remember is that I have once/twice booted to FirefoxOS, but hey: Nothing to do with, or?
I did ran into that kind of problems once, and it was caused by a mistake I made in my preinit when I was playing with encrypting home directory and MyDocs.
If you made some tweaks there for FFOS that could be the problem.... (but I assume you have different preinit for FFOS, right?)

So you also tried to export it manually, using g_storage?
Then I think it is really strange since most of the problems of USB mount are caused by usbmoded getting unsynchronized.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@juice, may I thank/hug/kiss you (just virtually ))? !!!

Indeed I had played with usbmoded, but after tweaking did not test (thought I am super user, so no need ) and forgot about. I had p2 and p3 also included , dumb me.
Going to check with p1,p5,p6,p7 (will edit post later).

Many many thanks.

--edit
Yep, indeed it is now working again as it should!
I do have p1 as vfat and p5,p6,p7 as ext4 and do see them in Windoze and my VMs.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-10-11 at 19:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: