Yes but better and better sort of !!!!,

Well i am not a linux geek but i have learn a lot about this os since using the tablet, the command line was a strange language to me, we have nevertheless learnt much from the developers in this forum and thanks Brontide and the rest for your input to this forum, i know you will finally show up again and hope nokia will improve as well on this platform due to its openness for development.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-02-24 at 15:47.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, what i was trying to say that releases (that is, the kind one see on windows or osx) are artifacts of a proprietary mentality.

basically, the releases are just as much a way to say the company need a new influx of money as says anything about new features or bugfixes...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My biggest complaint about the batteries of my N800s is that the battery meter will read 100% when I leave the house, but then, after a short time of doing some demanding task (most recently, this happened when using a high-speed GPS unit, and later when watching a video using the built-in speakers), the battery level will drop precipitously and the tablet will start panicking about "low battery". I'm never sure, when the tablet is in this state, whether it will shutdown on me or whether it will keep going. But if I stop doing the demanding task, and let the tablet "rest" for a while with the screen dark, the battery level rebounds and everything is fine...
What you see there is typical behaviour for a warn-out battery. My phones all end up like that after a while. Fully charged, one incoming call, then it drops to battery warning level but rebounces afterwards.
Are your N800 batteries old? My battery is 2 years old and it's starting to feel its age. It's not yet at the up/down/up bounce level yet though, however I'll probably replace the battery this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My biggest complaint about the batteries of my N800s is that the battery meter will read 100% when I leave the house, but then, after a short time of doing some demanding task (most recently, this happened when using a high-speed GPS unit, and later when watching a video using the built-in speakers), the battery level will drop precipitously and the tablet will start panicking about "low battery". I'm never sure, when the tablet is in this state, whether it will shutdown on me or whether it will keep going. But if I stop doing the demanding task, and let the tablet "rest" for a while with the screen dark, the battery level rebounds and everything is fine...
Do you have the "High Speed Kernel"?

When I ran those patches the battery was unstable when it got low. I would get a low battery and then a crash, usually before I could stop the offending activity ( Video playback usually ).

As for the other comments I would say I have lost my stomach for items that cost hundreds of dollars that end up a time sink and/or a distraction for a child.

I'm not saying people don't use these every day to complete useful tasks, but I'm saying the device is not useful to me if it's unreliable.

The wife is sleeping right now and they are going to be starting the pictocin soon.

IMHO, core problem with maemo is small audience oriented only on Nxxx devices. Open source project will gain success when more people attracted to development. So netbooks as a "brothers of Nxxx" may give a lot more to tablets. Nokia and Canonical started co-operation in this field and I think we'll see soon good results.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Do you have the "High Speed Kernel"?

When I ran those patches the battery was unstable when it got low. I would get a low battery and then a crash, usually before I could stop the offending activity ( Video playback usually ).
Yes, I'm using the highspeed / rotation kernel from Jott's site. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about that being the problem...

As for the other comments I would say I have lost my stomach for items that cost hundreds of dollars that end up a ... distraction for a child.
... heh, wait 'till your kids get older and then tell me how many hundreds of dollars you've spent "distracting" them

Getting the shopping done while your kid sits quietly watching Thomas and Friends instead of pulling random items off of the shelves and dumping them in the cart: priceless.

The wife is sleeping right now and they are going to be starting the pictocin soon.
Exciting!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
When I meant "nothing to show," I am not talking about updates. I am saying that the number of completed programs, programs that are "finished," are lacking. Many people are like "It works, so I am done." Its because there is just so much to be done on the tablets, that its a good thing and a bad thing.
Such is the difference between commercial development and open source. Open source developers can start a project as a learning exorsize or just because they individualy needed some feature. This isn't their day job and with very few exceptions they aren't paid to do this work. Packages are released when something works not when they're complete. Consider how many have version numbers starting with 0.something. In all fairness, complaining about what people share for free with others seems a little out of line. Don't forget that it frequently takes Microsoft 3 or more commercial releases before their products, which you pay for, start to be truely useful. As a consumer of open source software you have some choices. One is to get the code, join the team and work on the project yourself and the other is to donate to those that are.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Yes it would be like an N97. And you know what... When you turn it on...
It would work.
Well, I've never used a N97, but if it's anything like my E51, your description is accurate : you turn it on, and it works, and it does many mundane but useful things. For a while. Then some of these mundane useful things (like bluetooth tethering) just stop working. So you turn it off. And back on again. Till next time...

My N8x0 does somewhat less useful, but also less mundane, more varied and more fun things. Core stuff stays, a lot more comes and go. People invent all sorts of crazy uses and apps for it, but don't try to to scrounge 2$ from you for the latest pizza-ordering app.

Oh, and I almost never reboot it, as long as I remember to keep it juiced up. It doesn't tend to forget how to do bluetooth tethering and such.

All in all, I have no difficulty defining what my tablet is : it's not a phone. A phone is a modem that also does a few indispensable but boring work-related chores, like calendaring and sync. The tablet is what uses the modem for all the interesting stuff...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
This illustrates part of the reason these types threads get long and boring. With people constantly saying something does not work while others say it does. And on and on it goes with neither side giving in or compromising.

The N810 is a great device. We all agree on that. However there are some things that do not work and it varies from person to person application to application, even moment by moment. Sometimes it's because we set it up wrong other times it's the application fault. But the fact reamains that if it works great for me that does not mean it will work great for you. Because you are frustrated or happy does not mean I should be also. And if I think the device needs some more work or a new direction then that's my opinion.

We are all just voicing our individual opinions based on our individual experiences or what we have individually observed.

fragos further explains what I was saying before. Since a lot of the development is done for free it takes a long time to get software that will work every time on the majority of devices rather than on a few that are configured in a manner which is "friendly" to the other installed applications. When other people download the application onto their tablets, and the environment is not so friendly then you get problems. It's expected. It's a given in software development that there will be crashes. So I'm not expecting a perfect device. I'm just saying that there are too many beta applications out there that will crash in unfriendly envirnments. Which I understand why that is so. So I'm not blaming the programmers.

Sure it will not impact Nokia's market share much since that is based mostly or entirely on phone devices. But it will certainly get them a couple hundred unhappy tablet users. If they had a symbian based tablet (not phone) then they would have a few hundred happy customers.

They can even have two; the consumer version running symbian and the beta (under development) version running maemo.

Hope everyone understands what I'm trying to say.

to fpp:
Interestingly enough I also own an E51 and it works... Perfectly... Everytime.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
And now for something completely different. Our baby boy was born at 2:19pm EST after a mostly boring labor and delivery.

Quinton Wilfred

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post: