Notices

Thanks to a few helpful comments from beta-testers I've fixed a few minor issues in Shopper and I think it's ready to make its way to Extras (I'll add a link to the testing page when it arrives)

It's a shopping list application which I find really useful for weekly trips to the supermarket. It is mainly aimed at going to the supermarket or other regular shopping trips. It lets you keep a big list of things you buy more than once.

The first time you use it you make a list before you go out shopping. Then you tick all the things you want to buy. When you're out shopping you mark off things as you put them in the basket.

All the items you want to buy are kept so the next time you go you can just pick the things you need - and of course over time you add more items to the list.

Features:
* Ported to N900 with lots of UI tweaks to make it fit the phone
* Extensive help
* Autorotation
* Gestures
* Simple theme
* Now handles international characters - you can buy Mjölk!
* Extensive update to help text
* Added Erik Hovland's code cleanups
* Added "Import list" feature from Cosmin Mogos

Please look at the wiki testing info and then if you're happy with Shopper, you can vote for it

Next up... Qt-Knitting ... I kid you not...

Last edited by lbt; 2010-06-11 at 22:55. Reason: add testing links

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Looks great! I can't wait for it to move to Extras. Gj!

Can you store recipes and have it auto generate a list based on recipes stored?

EDIT:

I should mention that it looks good!

@kd_alex I was discussing that with my wife. How would you see that working?

I've got to say I think it would be one of those "more trouble than it's worth" features when you really sit down and think about it

Implementation would probably be a pain. Honestly I would probably one of the few people who would use it. I would think making groups of listed items so you don't have to select all of them individually (and so you don't forget one for a recipe) might be a method of implementation.

Mind you I am on travel and have not had a chance to look at your app other than what you posted, so my opinion is probably not worth much.

is it possible to add a few columns to allow comments and/or tracking the cost of the item?

@cheve : It actually has comments already and you can use them for prices - in the example above 'potatoes' has the note 'baking'

I've been asked about more price functionality before too; could you describe how you think it would work? How they'd be displayed and kept up-to-date?

I'm honestly happy to give features like this a go if people can help figure out how to make it fit.
Also what are you trying to achieve? Are you tracking cost variation over time?
Or is it comparison to different stores? (how do you get meaningful prices?)

One thing I can see being useful is a big 'notes' field that you get to from the edit bar; that could be useful for tracking info about 'research shopping' I guess.
Then a way to view an expanded list including the notes....

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Ooh Excellent. I've been waiting for this one. I still use smartshopper on the n95 for the weekly shop (which means carrying my work phone to tesco!)

I'll take a good look later - if it's in testing I'll give it a go and some feedback!

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Here are some problems with the latest version:
  • When you create a new list and try to save it, if you press "Type" and select the "List 3" entry it adds garbage to the filename. Is "Type" usefull anyway?
  • When deleting all categories and adding one, the button at the bottom is not refreshed (main screen).
  • When adding a new entry: Edit categories, then add a new one. The categories will move on screen.
  • When editing categories: Start with three or more categories. Move a category to the bottom. The last one willhave a button for "down" too. Pressing it crashes the program.
  • You should save changes when they happen. If the program crashes, the active list is not saved and it starts again with the previous one. For example if I create a new list and the program crashes then the next time it will start with the old one.
  • From the menu select "Save/Load/New". Then press "Save As". Then, before the window appears, press it again. And again. And again. This will result in 4 "Save As" windows. I suggest you disable the buttons whenever one is pressed.
  • Add an item. While adding it, edit categories: Delete all categories and create a new one. The return to save the new entry. Program crashes.

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Here are some problems with the latest version:
  • When you create a new list and try to save it, if you press "Type" and select the "List 3" entry it adds garbage to the filename. Is "Type" usefull anyway?
No, this is the standard Qt dialog and I confess I just hit save
I've never seen "List 3" before but I tried various combinations of New/Save and eventually got a "List +" that did add random stuff to the filename - very spooky.

• When deleting all categories and adding one, the button at the bottom is not refreshed (main screen).
I can't reproduce this. Can you explain more?
I remove all categories. Add a new one. Rename it "Fridge" and click "Done"
The blue chooser shows the new name.

ah, hold on
If you rename a category it shows the old name on the main window until you 'do something'.

• When adding a new entry: Edit categories, then add a new one. The categories will move on screen.
Yes, this is Qt dynamically repacking the list. I don't like it but it's only cosmetic - I will be rewriting the whole category chooser.

• When editing categories: Start with three or more categories. Move a category to the bottom. The last one willhave a button for "down" too. Pressing it crashes the program.
Yep. I see that one. I've fixed that before

• You should save changes when they happen. If the program crashes, the active list is not saved and it starts again with the previous one. For example if I create a new list and the program crashes then the next time it will start with the old one.
It saves on close. I decided not to save periodically but to make Shopper not crash. It motivated me a lot in the early days. Most crashes now are when you do weird things like delete all categories whilst adding an item

• From the menu select "Save/Load/New". Then press "Save As". Then, before the window appears, press it again. And again. And again. This will result in 4 "Save As" windows. I suggest you disable the buttons whenever one is pressed.
"Doctor, Doctor, when I bang my head against a wall it hurts."

Don't do that then

• Add an item. While adding it, edit categories: Delete all categories and create a new one. The return to save the new entry. Program crashes.
Thanks for these v13 - some very interesting 'edge cases' in there.

Actually it's quite annoying... I wanted to release a reasonably stable version with the old category chooser (I've been using it since november with no crashes in "normal" use) and then rewrite that bit with some of the new animations.

<sigh> another release soon then

Tags
qtpowered, shopper