Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Announcing the update of DialCentral (formerly GC Dialer) to 0.9.9.

* SMS From Dialpad
* Display of names for messages tab
* Condensed messages/recent's date column

* Added columns to Recent/Messages for seeing the when and who
* Improvements to staying logged in (I hope)
* Random bug fixes (Hopefully GC fixes)

* Switched to Force Refresh for when wanting to check for more messages
* Removed timeouts that forced refreshes on various tabs
* Added support for a settings file, fairly primitive right now
* Fixed Maemo Support
* Lots of major and minor bug fixes

* Experimenting with the tabs being on the side
* Now the phone selector is used always, even if there is just one phone number
* Added a Messages Tab, which displays SMS and Voicemail messages
* Added option to send SMS messages

0.9.5 Changes
* Fixed a bug with regards to Google changing their webpages

0.9.4 Changes
* Misc Bug fixes and experiments

0.9.3 Changes
* Removed the much disliked contact source ID
* Added saving of callback number when using GoogleVoice (Works on desktop, seems to have issues on tablet, still investigating)
* Got proper formatting on things ("&" rather than "&")
* Misc Bug fixes

0.9.2 Changes
* UI Support for choosing between GoogleVoice and GrandCentral
* Minor tweaks and bug fixes

0.9.1 Changes
* More flexible CSV support (uses column headers), which now works with GrandCentral and Google Contact exports
* Experimenting with faster startup by caching PYC files with the package
* Fixing of some bad error handling
* More debug output for when people run into issues
* GoogleVoice Support (not enabled by default)

0.9.0 Changes
* Caching of contacts
* Refactoring to make working with the code easier
* Filesystem backed contacts but currently only supporting a specific csv format
* Gracefully handle lack of connection and connection transitions
* Gracefully handle failed login
* A tiny bit better error reporting

Requirements:
* PyGTK Support (Tested on Maemo and Ubuntu)

Please report any problems or feature requests. I'd like to drive to have an eventual 1.0 but would like feedback into doing that. If you can please include in any issues reported the output when launching by running "python2.5 /usr/bin/dialcentral.py" it will greatly help in resolving your issue.

Note on CSV Support: The CSVs must be placed in "~/.dialcentral/contacts". A seperate listing in the contact list drop down is made per file. As for the file format, the first line is treated as column headers. The file should have the headers "name" and either "phone" or "mobile". This is known to work with Google Contact exports and GrandCentral exports. If this doesn't cover some weird case of what your program exports, please send me the first line of your CSV file so I can try and add support for it.

Info on Extras
Download Deb From Extras
Website
Former Thread

Obligatory Screenshots
Dialpad:

Choosing how to respond to a message:

Responding by SMS:

Last edited by epage; 2009-06-02 at 02:23. Reason: Adding 0.9.3 info

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
What's the specific csv format for contacts?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yeah, I've been forgetting to document that.

First row is reserved for the column headers (as in, its ignored)

First column is the contacts name, second column is the contacts phone number, all other columns are ignored if they exist

The directory "~/.dialcentral/contacts" is scanned for supported files

Other file backends can be created and csv can be made more flexible, its just this met a specific need of mine without fighting against APIs for working with other stuff.

I'm aware of Google Voice and hope to get DialCentral on it once my account is upgraded

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I wasn't even aware of Google Voice until this post look forward to being able to use DialCentral on tablet lol.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
The backend code will need to be changed in several ways. The mobile pages are actually not too much different from the old site. The authentication is now standard google webauth and the contacts would probably be easier to pull straight from the API rather than page scraping.

How do I access the mobile site? The Mobile video is down and I thought it listed "google.com/voice/m" but that redirects to the full featured voice page for me.

I've been looking at google contact support, I guess this will make it serious I hope they eventually add a complete API to the service.

Edit: Found it, google.com/voice/m/i
Commited my barely started port to Google Voice. I also commited my barely start support for the official contacts API

Last edited by epage; 2009-03-13 at 02:36. Reason: Answered own question

SVN now has more generic CSV support by trying to interpret the header line and guess the right columns from there. This means the original format supported, GrandCentral exports, and Google Contacts exports all work.

I also copied some files around in prep for adding Google Voice support (anxious for getting the mobile site to work). Time to go read up on Google's contacts api...

What features are people interested in for DialCentral, especially in light of the new Google Voice featutes?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I'll go out on a limb.... Maybe access to VM ( transcripts and playback )?

I would also keep an eye open since it's more than likely that GV has a similar API to picasa or gdocs, the stock gdata API. It may not yet be part of the standard gdata packages, but you may be able to extrapolate. If that's the case it will make the backend work so much easier.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Might be out of the scope of DialCentral, but I'd love to see SMS messaging integrated if you can do it.

Looking forward to the new version that uses Google Voice I'll wait patiently, though... Well... maybe :P