Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for your efforts. There can be the issue mentioned in the mail I linked previously. FLAC needs real libogg unless configured without but tremor provides both libogg and libvorbis functions but in incompatible manner. Linking flac + real ogg + tremor doesn't work for me. But maybe I have old version of something and latest versions work?

I checked it out from extras and see you started from debian version of debian directory but otherwise everything important is in. I will try similar route with 0.12. Thanks.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

yes, I didn't use patches to debian directory directly, but feel free to put your own content there. Notice use of quilt and patches directory. 'rm -f engines/kyra/screen.oo' should be added to debian/rules clean target.

edit:
I can't get tremor working at all, even when I uninstall flac and real ogg and leave only tremor in place. flac+real ogg works.

Last edited by mikkov; 2008-08-27 at 09:18.

scummvm 0.11.1 is now in extras-devel with all features enabled, except it is using vorbis instead of tremor. How important it is to use tremor? I feel that it is very importatant to get scummvm to diablo extras, more important than to get tremor working.

Last edited by mikkov; 2008-09-13 at 10:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
scummvm 0.11.1 is now in extras-devel with all features enabled, except it is using vorbis instead of tremor. How important it is to use tremor?
Well it is said to use at least half the CPU power of the floating point version. Check the thread here http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/15901#15901 it is like 30% vs 12% of CPU. Please note that some games like COMI run near 100% CPU so this may make difference. I do have COMI with vorbis encoded audio so I'll try your version and see how bad it is with cpu usage.
I feel that it is very importatant to get scummvm to diablo extras, more important than to get tremor working.
Well, current scummvm has no extra dependency so it can be installed by clicking the deb without adding any repository. I agree it is important to have it in extras but IMO slower version is worse than nothing because two different versions will confuse people.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-09-13 at 20:42.

Hmm, I don't have COMI on my N810, it is on full size SD card inside my OS2007 based N800 :-( Tried Simon 1 floppy version with stereo oggs from http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?page_id=954 and there is some serious difference. 0.11.1 from extras devel eats ~85% of CPU on first screen once game starts in the cottage but my 0.12.0 one eats only 19% in same screen. If you try to 'use postcard' which brings up save dialog and stops screen updates it drops to ~75% and my version to ~6%. Looks like it is not just vorbis but also some compiler or other scummvm config flags. Will test other games and will try to install my build of 0.11 too.

EDIT: tried my 0.11.1 and it is same as 0.12.0

EDIT2: maybe vorbis in extras-devel is not VFP enabled?

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-09-13 at 20:48.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I can't see libmpeg2 there :/. Everything I've looked at recommends tremor for arm.
I'm recommending ffvorbis

EDIT: I see it was uploaded to extras-devel (by you?)
Ok, looked, it was old version. Source for latest version here: http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/libmpeg2-0.5.1.tar.bz2
Vanilla libmpeg2 has only some very limited ARM optimizations for motion compensation. Adding ARM optimized iDCT and more optimized functions for motion compensation could improve performance very noticeably.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
I'd like to get scummvm to diablo work started again. Scummvm is featured in OS2008 User Site (http://tableteer.nokia.com/tableteer..._scummvm.xhtml) so slick installation would be very nice.

Here's the current situation:
- Fanoush has ported scummvm to maemo and it is excellent (thanks fanoush).
- Chinook extras repository has fanoush's official 0.12 build with tremor support
- Diablo extras-devel has 0.11.1 build with libvorbis support which is slower that tremor build. I have uploaded vorbis with vfp support to extras-devel so maybe performance difference isn't so big anymore.

What needs to be done?
- update scummvm in diablo extras-devel to 0.12
- is tremor required? Tremor build with autobuilder is possible, but I haven't been able to build tremor support even in my local scratchbox. Some instructions would be needed.
- if plain libvorbis support is enough I can update scummvm in no time.

- Diablo extras-devel has 0.11.1 build with libvorbis support which is slower that tremor build. I have uploaded vorbis with vfp support to extras-devel so maybe performance difference isn't so big anymore.
I rechecked it now and indeed it is vfp compiled so the load drops to ~34% in same Simon scene (see comment #15 above). This is much better but still significantly worse than tremor (eating like 10% in same situation). All this is consistent with findings here
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/15901#15901

- is tremor required?
Well, not exactly required but it is better. It doesn't matter much with Simon but e.g. Curse of Monkey Island uses like 80-100% cpu even with tremor so additional overhead of vorbis may make the difference of fluent vs skipping playback. I will recheck this vfp build with COMI.
Tremor build with autobuilder is possible, but I haven't been able to build tremor support even in my local scratchbox. Some instructions would be needed.
Sadly I don't remember how exactly I did it but I suppose just checking out from tremor SVN http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/ was the trick. Bigger problem was the conflict with FLAC which needs real libogg as described here

Even if I hate having suboptimal scummvm package in the repository maybe it is better than nothing. I guess some explanation in maemo download page (and maybe also directly in package description) mentioning ~20% CPU hit with ogg audio and with pointer to more optimized build for those who really care should be enough.

After all not everyone uses ogg audio compression.

OK, I'll check out build script changes in 0.11.1 source in extras-devel and make 0.12 build.

I made a new test build ( scummvm_0.11.99-2) of scummvm 0.12 with new version of tremor (libvorbisidec1_1.2.0-1.svn20080906.tk1) in extras-devel. For me it works with mp3 and ogg files, but I don't know if flac really works.

scummvm_0.11.99-3 also incules patch which shows name "ScummVM" instead of "unknown" in taskswitcher. You have to switch once to fullscreen mode before it works
Attached Files
File Type: txt maemo_taskswitcher.patch.txt (1.0 KB, 144 views)

scummvm_0.11.99-3 also incules patch which shows name "ScummVM" instead of "unknown" in taskswitcher. You have to switch once to fullscreen mode before it works
Nice. Tried the code and it works. Hopefully there is better place for this so it works from the start. I also hoped it will solve issue with switching application automatically back via second home key long press (I have it swapped with short press in mce.ini like it was in OS2006, it is really handy for quick peek to desktop screen and back) but unfortunately it doesn't help with this.

Tags
extras, scummvm