Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
There was never a "newbie" subforum. The Brainstorm forum is for discussing proposals made here: http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

Are you proposing to get rid of the Brainstorm (http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/) page altogether?
I was referring to this:

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

And yes I would get rid of brainstorm altogether.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I was referring to this:

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

And yes I would get rid of brainstorm altogether.
Ah, I wasn't aware that Newbie forum was still accessible. All forums under "Old" should have been closed for posting. Majority of those forums were from the iTT days.

I remember that a lot of folks were involved putting a lot of work in the Brainstorm module of the site. Any reason why you want it removed? Why not just promote the correct use of it more? Maybe the upcoming council can think about using that module more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
relevance?

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
No, I employ people based on both their professional as well as their soft skills. Not providing a photo in a CV (or an application for an election, in this case) shows an amazing ignorance and lack of soft skills.
This isn't exactly a competition who can get away with the most negligently and sloppy application, and it's a shame for the candidates to expose such attitude.

Council isn't elected for their great visions, to govern the community. Community hopes for a council with good soft skills to listen what's the mood, direction, and concern in *all* the community, and then council is supposed to represent that to the wider public (here: particularly Nokia) as our ambassadors. Do you really think it's asking for too much when we appreciate to see a photo of our representatives? Do you expect to visit Nokia and hold up a sign "I'm ivgalvez" at the airport? Same on any arbitrary maemo-related meeting.
And yes, for a representative I'm even taking into account physical appearance, to a certain degree. As some aspects would clearly rule out that individual for a role that's supposed to represent me.

/j

Thus I would never be an employee in your company. I think that is utter discrimination to take the photo into account when hiring somebody, as appearance or race or body weight for that matter have nothing to do with skills, soft or otherwise (on the other hand, I think that someone, especially a public figure should look out for his appearance). I also believe that even gender information should not be available in a bio, but unfortunately it's easy to guess by the name.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I have to agree with joerg_rw, while it might not play a role in your voting decision having a face behind a nick is important (maemo meetings/conventions have already been mentioned, but consider trolls, we seem to have a problem with those recently... not insinuating any candidate is a troll, but I would like more personal info on candidates, some forums made trolling into an art so even pic is dubious)
It is NOT a beauty contest (just check the council pics posted so far), it is about representing. If you anon-represent community a company/corporation like Nokia will troll you even harder. It should take some personal (in RL vs anon-posts by any email address) investment to be taken seriously. Being in an official body should have some sacrifices

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Your next Foreign Ministry:

(I purposely haven't chosen harder examples, I easily could find those, triggering a shitstorm here)

Not providing *any* photo of course is a statement towards the community you expect to respect and vote you, as well.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-17 at 21:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Thus I would never be an employee in your company. I think that is utter discrimination to take the photo into account when hiring somebody, as appearance or race or body weight for that matter have nothing to do with skills, soft or otherwise (on the other hand, I think that someone, especially a public figure should look out for his appearance). I also believe that even gender information should not be available in a bio, but unfortunately it's easy to guess by the name.
Indeed, you'd never be an employee in the company I'm currently working for, nor in any of the companies I ever worked before. How often were YOU hired based solely on sending in an application without photo, without gender, age, nationality, and without any initial meeting or at least a phonecall with the boss? I bet you always get sent your signed contract after simply mailing your anonymized CV, you just have to fill in your name, age, addr, and salary ;-P

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Not providing *any* photo of course is a statement towards the community you expect to respect and vote you, as well.
My mileage obviously varies. I seriously couldn't care less what a candidate looks like. My votes are decided based on candidates' declarations and past deeds, piercings and tattoos are irrelevant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
of course not. But I'd like to be given a chance to get face to face with the boss before being judjed solely by my appearance.
I understand that the appearance is part of the package but it's different to be presented with the whole package than just the wrapping.

Not that I have any special appearance, just as a principle. It is also illegal in some countries to even require age or marital status on a job application form.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
My mileage obviously varies. I seriously couldn't care less what a candidate looks like. My votes are decided based on candidates' declarations and past deeds, piercings and tattoos are irrelevant.
Think twice! It's not about your sympathy for a candidate, it's about that candidate is meant to represent you on public events, in meetings with Nokia, maybe even in TV interviews, etc. It's more about what *others* may think when they meet your candidate rather than what you think about piercings. (BTW I don't mind piercings at all, but I'd probably not kiss that girl - too dangerous ;-D Maybe she's a brilliant hacker, but I wouldn't send her negotiating a deal for our next 5000 machines with IBM)
Regarding what my vote been based on: I mainly based it on the candidates' demonstrated willingness to DO STH for the community, and to seek for best example and advice what this STH might be and look like. Providing a photo like all previous councils' members did is just one detail in this evaluation. Frequently showing up on IRC like suggested in http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council#Get_in_contact is another one. Generally appreciating and considering advice and positive criticism is a huge part.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-17 at 22:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down