Active Topics

While I don't agree with Tizen being interesting (Another "walled garden" web browser pretending to be real OS? WebOS tried that - and probably, at current openness stage, is better if someone like such things), and Blackberry 10 seems a hoax to me, I agree completely with rest of Your post.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I guess we as a community also need to consider financing. As Nokia collapses some bean counter is bound to come across the small costs associated with maemo.org as a "unnecessary line item".
I would not worry about that, at this point. With Quim as the contact, there will be fair warning if anything like that happens.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Wow! Somebody STILL hasn't been disappointed enough by Nokia. Get on that, Nokia!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I put some collected thoughts together rather than quoting every article individually. Opinions are my own, I am not any authority to state official Nokia opinion.

I see maemo.org evolving as open mobile community, focus on open mobile Qt apps. Mobile Qt apps is common interest with Nokia and this is good reason Nokia to continue sponsoring maemo.org community.

When I said focus on mobile Qt apps, i did not mean that maemo.org should be limited on Qt or apps but there is free slot on FOSS ecosystem and there is real need to have home for mobile Qt apps community.

I explain little more my reasoning.

There are already good home for desktop focus QT project in kde.org, there is no need to have yet an other Android java apps community and there are multiple good communities for desktop linux distros. Qt-project is focusing platform development. We don't have any reason top start competing with other FOSS communities.

I see future on Qt application development than on platform development or app development for Gtk based legacy platform. It is difficult to make good full featured competitive mobile platform. This is still my opinion and I am not willing or any authority to limit maemo.org to apps or Qt only. I am still happy if maemo.org could give home, community or other resources for platform projects.

About same reasoning for focus for Qt apps. There is no need for other Android java apps community or iOS apps community but I am happy to see Qt apps running on other mobile platforms, Blackberry, Android end even iOS.

That's how I also do my personal free time software projects. I also would like to see same code running on my N9 , Android and iPad tablets and my Linux and Mac desktops. I would like see them running also on Rasberry Pi on some day I succeed to get one.

I see speculation about Nokia future useless for maemo.org future. At the moment Nokia has strong interest sponsor Qt related community and I hope that it will have that on future even more. For developer or maemo.org viewpoint, Nokia is just a sponsor. FOSS is FOSS who ever is sponsoring it. Qt has enough inertia as one of main FOSS application frameworks and it will continue to be one what ever Nokia does,

Kate

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Similarly, voicing just my opinion: While that sounds good to some here, it's not the reason why most of us came here in particular in the first place. I, for one, am certainly not at all interested in QT development and I wouldn't have arrived here years ago looking for a mobile Linux device comunity if it had instead been a QT community. QT development narrows the focus far, far away from where this community originally, and even eventually, had its interest. Mobile development, mobile devices and tablets were and continue to be the focus of the vast majority of the people who sought out Maemo, not QT in particular just as it hadn't been GTK in particular at the time when Maemo was exclusively based on that. Nobody was particularly hot on how you draw your widgets--people were hot on PORTABLE LINUX devices. Again, just my opinion and observations as a long-time Internet Tablet Talk (eventually Maemo.org) member here.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Mobile development, mobile devices and tablets were and continue to be the focus of the vast majority of the people who sought out Maemo, not QT in particular just as it hadn't been GTK in particular at the time when Maemo was exclusively based on that. Nobody was particularly hot on how you draw your widgets--people were hot on PORTABLE LINUX devices.
This is a very good point. I haven't owned a Maemo device before N9, but I got interested in Maemo when N900 came out. And my interest was because it was an open Linux mobile device, basically a Linux distribution. My decision not to buy it were not because it used GTK over Qt.

While I prefer Qt for development, I'd also like maemo.org be focused on portable open Linux devices regardless of the toolkit used.

Of course my primary interest are the subset that support Qt as native toolkit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekojo View Post

Should the intro simply state something along the lines of: "The Maemo Community is home to hackers of open mobile devices and software."

Why make life harder by trying to pigeonhole the community too hard? The good thing here has always been the attitude of can do with regard to mobile devices.

Of course the community formed around Nokia devices, or the software in them. But I would say that things have evolved over time and people with roots in Maemo are all over the place now.

So let all the flowers bloom.
Personally, I like this idea very much. I think that's the right, straight-forward, pragmatic approach we need.

A little bit of reasoning about my opinion: I think what can be summarized from the current discussion is that there are lots of different people with highly differing interest. On one hand there are the "hardware guys" who dig in the innerst parts of the devices and low-level kernel code. On the other hand there are "UI people" who like to play around with fancy ways of presenting frontends etc. to users.
Granted, this example is quite oversimplifying, but it's just intended as example. Generally, I experienced that we have lots of creative people here who have great ideas and develop cool and interesting solutions.

By the way: I think we should also try to communicate this in a friendly and open manner when we make plans on "integrating" other communities in here. I think there were, e.g., some ideas to integrate the vivaldi community here. We just should keep in mind that other communities might not be interested in being "integrated" somwhere else and could interpret such attempts as hostile actions. I think we, ourselves, had a similar situation in the discussion about "recruiting" developers for MeeGo some time ago.
Thus, to avoid any hostility between open source projects, we should try to communicate very respectfully, openly, and friendly. In the end, we all have the same interest of open source mobile devices and software. So, we should strive for combining/coordinating our resources in a respectful, friendly, and open manner instead of fighting each other.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
I generally agree with you but you'll open the can of 'more-open than thou' attitudes. HOW MUCH openness various systems (even just within differing versions of Maemo) has always been and continues to be, especially here, a topic of much heated debate and it's often used as a wedge to pry groups of users apart here. The forum here is far less pragmatic about operating systems, despite the shared interest in openness or even in Linux alone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I don't know about migrating other communities here but I'm pretty sure this will not be the (official) home of Mer, Vivaldi, etc. They will continue to have their day-to-day discussions where they are happening now.

As I see it the current direction of things around here is something that gives the maemo community a better space to discuss about/hack on those things (forum reorgamisation effort). Also there's the effort to have a common build infra (obs) for community application developers and other hackers. This of course brings the communties closer to eatch other but won't unite them into one community. Most likely people who think the community == tmo won't even notice it.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
I used word focus intentionally i don't want to pigeonhole community and there is life outside of focus areas.

It would be very interesting to have full OSS mobile platform just like we have Linux current distros for desktops. As my personal opinion i strongly support this kind of idea.

So, I don't want to throw platform hacking or Mer, Vivaldi etc out from maemo.org and I would like them continue to be part of maemo.org community

I just see that there are many magnitudes more user base for FOSS mobile apps than FOSS mobile platform. FOSS mobile platform needs also FOSS applications, so it is our common interest to have strong FOSS mobile apps community. If you would like to develop system or middleware more than apps, I don't have anything against it.

If we get maemo.org OBS running, it would be great if it could build app for Harmattan or other Nokia platforms, may be even some competitive platforms and for FOSS platforms.

Kate

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:

Tags
cyanogen, goodbye maemo, tizen, winding down