Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, I just saw the last posts in this thread. I have also assigned that bug to Niels, in case it helps.

Why not pinging or complaining in the maemo-community list, or directly to Niels & Henri?

I'm only posting and trying to help connecting dots because my name has been mentioned. It doesn't make any sense to have the Nokia contact facilitating the Council elections.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Why not pinging or complaining in the maemo-community list, or directly to Niels & Henri?
Because last time we did that, and after 7 months (!) we were told, that we should use official bug form, because X-Fade wasn't remembering that anyone contacted him via mail or IRC pings. So, we switched to fully traceable, recommended method of dealing with technical staff.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
NOKIA pays the bills for Maemo.org.
they don't babysit the community
it's the communities' responsibility to organize itself & do what it is here to do... write code.

Council is a part of that organization
nothing more and nothing less
They also pay people who should do things which are obviously not done. If you don't see it we have nothing to talk about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Niels answered in bug comment:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12612

Well, as usual, "it's not his fault". Anyway, he require current Council input. I have no idea why he request such thing from a hat - it wasn't case during last election - but whatever... SD69, could You send him what he asks, and we could get this ball rolling already?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Anyway, he require current Council input. I have no idea why he
request such thing from a hat - it wasn't case during last election -
but whatever...
IME the council has always been involved in drafting the election announcement.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Not entirely true, Jaffa. Direct access to voting infrastructure - including starting voting, etc - is available only to X-Fade&co (see old problems with Code Competition voting). Only one thing SD69 can do, is talking with them.
Yes. And falling back on "well, I raised it at the Council meeting so it's now not my problem" may be factually accurate, but it's not exactly helpful.

Yet, during last Council meeting, his partners on technical/Nokia payed side answered, that "voting is covered". IMO, SD69 was not able to do anything more *before* voting start date.
I'm not going to blindly quote "voting is covered". The exact exchange allows one to see exactly where communication has fallen down. Again.

SD69: council elections require work too
SD69: Dave Neary is not available to help
SD69: X-Fade: will you be helping with the vote or someone else at Nemein?
X-Fade: SD69: No problem, will sort it out.
SD69: The dates comes up in early May.
X-Fade: SD69: if/when there are enough candidates.
SD69: X-Fade: I will confirm the date. courtesy of qqwazix, we will put up a banner to advertize
-- http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclo...04-17T18:56:27

I'm guessing that SD69 didn't confirm the dates. If he did, X-Fade seemed to think he was offering to help with the technical aspects of the vote (the bits that dneary did in the past); not all the comms work (the bits the Council did in the past). If he didn't, X-Fade would've been waiting for the next step from Rob.

I'm assuming that there wasn't a follow-up email (there wasn't to maemo-community) confirming the dates and if everything was lined up. It's not leadership, nor management, to point - like a lawyer - to the exchange above and say "not my fault" when it is clearly the Council's job to ensure the next election happens and happens smoothly.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Yes. And falling back on "well, I raised it at the Council meeting so it's now not my problem" may be factually accurate, but it's not exactly helpful.

I'm not going to blindly quote "voting is covered". The exact exchange allows one to see exactly where communication has fallen down. Again.

-- http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclo...04-17T18:56:27

I'm guessing that SD69 didn't confirm the dates. If he did, X-Fade seemed to think he was offering to help with the technical aspects of the vote (the bits that dneary did in the past); not all the comms work (the bits the Council did in the past). If he didn't, X-Fade would've been waiting for the next step from Rob.

I'm assuming that there wasn't a follow-up email (there wasn't to maemo-community) confirming the dates and if everything was lined up. It's not leadership, nor management, to point - like a lawyer - to the exchange above and say "not my fault" when it is clearly the Council's job to ensure the next election happens and happens smoothly.
Instead of explaining what happened, how can we fix it and make things right?

Voting time has started and is almost finished and we still don't have votes. This is clear that it's a lack of organization and pre-planning on our (the maemo communities) behalf. This is something that should be dealt with, in the next council.

That aside, how can we rectify this situation as quickly as possible?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
@Jaffa
you're plain wrong here. Again.

"I'll confirm dates" mean exactly, that person speaking this, will confirm dates = Rob was waiting for X-Fade move.

Anyway, this discussion is quite pointless now, and I don't see what exactly You're trying to prove - if not questionable rationale about Your "bad communication" theory.

I just hope, that everything will be settled down ASAP.

/Estel

@Arie
It's already said, that X-Fade waits for some unnecessary "voting invitation" message and list of candidates (available from appropriate page for ages) from SD69. I'm sure the latter will send it to tech staff (I would do it myself, but they want it from current Council), and we'll be going.

Of course, we will have full voting period. We like it or not, but voting must end few days later.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-11 at 14:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@Jaffa

you're plain wrong here. Again.

"I'll confirm dates" mean exactly, that person speaking this, will confirm dates = Rob was waiting for X-Fade move.

Anyway, this discussion is quite pointless now, and I don't see what exactly You're trying to prove - if not questionable rationale about Your "bad communication" theory.

I just hope, that everything will be settled down ASAP.

/Estel
Estel, I know you mean well, but stop posting in regards to what happened, all posts should be about how to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

Nothing else should be on our minds except getting this done.

What happened can be spoken about after the fact.

Let's fix voting, get our council for 2012 in office, then work from there.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Answered You via edit. "What can be done" part was done already, see last two pages.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Closed Thread

Tags
council