Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I submitted a self-nomination to the maemo-community list for Hildon Foundation candidacy, but used the wrong email address so it's being held pending moderator approval. If i need to resubmit using original email address, I can.

You may need to. I just noticed that a comment I CC'ed the list on has yet to make it there. A simple forward of the sent e-mail will be fine.

I have already developed an improved karma method and would be glad to share when the time comes.
I would love to hear all about it. Currently the duty to fix this will fall on the next Council, as it will require both referendum to change existing rules. The wording in the current bylaws leaves those changes explicitly up to the Council as well, so there is no conflict, nor need to do duplicate work.

Thanks, in any case, for throwing you name in the hat.

Also, to everyone that hasn't yet, please do check out the bylaw discussions!

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-09-20 at 00:55.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
You may need to. I just noticed that a comment I CC'ed the list on has yet to make it there.
Do we know if there's anyone left at Nokia managing the mailing lists?

Currently the duty to fix this will fall on the next Council, as it will require both referendum to change existing rules.
I don't think there any current rules saying that. IIRC the last time the rules changed it was by Nemein fiat.

Personally, I'd say screw karma. I can't think of a single occasion where it was actually useful since it was introduced.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I submitted a self-nomination to the maemo-community list for Hildon Foundation candidacy, but used the wrong email address so it's being held pending moderator approval. If i need to resubmit using original email address, I can.
Please resend your message from a subscribed address. Even when Nokia was commited to Maemo, there was no list mom checking that moderation queue.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Personally, I'd say screw karma. I can't think of a single occasion where it was actually useful since it was introduced.
IMHO, the biggest problem is the account split. If there was single account for Maemo & Talk & Wiki, karma was counted automatically without having to manually join the accounts and if it was actually shown where the most users would look for it - in the talk profile - everything would be OK.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
IMHO, the biggest problem is the account split. If there was single account for Maemo & Talk & Wiki, karma was counted automatically without having to manually join the accounts and if it was actually shown where the most users would look for it - in the talk profile - everything would be OK.
afaik TMO wasn't always part of maemo but just internet forum, and that's why the databases are not shared.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
afaik TMO wasn't always part of maemo but just internet forum, and that's why the databases are not shared.
Plus the software running the forum is proprietary so any changes would be difficult and expensive.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Plus the software running the forum is proprietary so any changes would be difficult and expensive.
I think it wouldn't be hard, as all you need to use same db :P but i think it still belongs to Reggie while maemo's to Nokia, so it's would be problematic in other way.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That's ok; I can.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
That's ok; I can.
That's ok; you don't have to mention any or anything. :-b

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Wow, you people reply a lot.

On the topic of the spit accounts, yes, TMO was once a separate thing, and for the most part still is. But even things that are all part of the "one thing" have separate logins and such (garage, bugs, etc). This is in part because most existing tool chains and such didn't (and still don't) use mechanisms to link into existing user databases, like LDAP.

Karma has served a number of purposes, not the least of which is preventing people from making a crap-ton of fake accounts and using those to vote with. Most people won't bother setting up a fake account (on TMO and Maemo.org) and then making 100 posts to get enough Karma to vote. It also sets up a balanced field for those that don't chatter much on TMO, but do help the community in other way, like wiki edits, development, blogging, bug tracking, testing, etc.

While both systems are imperfect, they've helped the community a lot. And finding replacement mechanism for either could be a rough task.

As for the next Council being tasked with that task, I should have been more clear. The next Council *may* be tasked with that, since the infrastructure for Maemo.org may be changing (including TMO), due to funding. Any changes to membership level stuff (by the current Board bylaws, and by existing Council rules) is all handled by Council, via referendum to the community.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: