Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by berny View Post
As my N900 is slowly dying with more and more no-simcard-errors I'm looking for a replacement. Thus I have a few questions regarding chroot on a Galaxy Note:
  • Can I switch between the chroot and normal android apps without the chroot shutting down?
  • Does networking from chroot over 3G and WLAN work?
  • Inside the chroot there should be full multitasking, right?
  • Do bluetooth keyboard and mouse work in the chroot environment?
  • Is chrooting on an Galaxy Note limited in any way compared to the easy debian method on the N900?
  • How does running a chroot affect battery life?

I guess right now support for the Galaxy Note N7000 is better than support fort the Galaxy Note II N7100. But I suppose that will change soon and 2 GB of RAM and a quad core processor over 1 GB and dual core should be reason enough to choose the N7100 over the N7000.
debranardis addressed most of your questions but in regards to bluetooth, it works fine both in android and in chroot. Although I didn't try a mouse my bluetooth keyboard has a touch pad that contols the cursor so that I could open apps on Android and also use in ubuntu.
One major drawback with the VNC is that it does not send audio but you can play media or use browser in android and still use ubuntu at same time (the apps Overskreen and and stickit! are really useful for this).

While, I'm quite happy with the GN1 I will probably get the GN2 once they come out with 64GB version.