Got it I think. Flashed to the newest Nokia release. Then installed the SSU thing again and I think it's installed correctly now. It's rebooting after I updated it.

What is the community-freemantle.install vs. the regular community.install?

Originally Posted by evo8dude View Post
What is the community-freemantle.install vs. the regular community.install?
Freemantle (Maemo 5) is for the n900, Diablo (Maemo 4) is for the n8x0. Do not install anything that says Freemantle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Ya, that's what I thought. Well, I think I got everything I wanted installed and setup. I'll play around with it more in the morning.

Question - how can I get ahold of the actual files for the programs, not just the *.install files? I like to keep programs around on a disc as a backup. Traveled in 3rd world countries too much, lol.

Ya, that's what I thought. Well, I think I got everything I wanted installed and setup. I'll play around with it more in the morning.

Question - how can I get ahold of the actual files for the programs, not just the *.install files? I like to keep programs around on a disc as a backup. Traveled in 3rd world countries too much, lol.
Maemo is based on Debian and uses the apt packager manager to fetch *.deb files from a central repository. The install files only contain the URL to the repository and the package name. The packages for everything you've installed is kept in /var/cache/apt/archives on your device and you can backup that directory in case the repository ever gets shutdown and it will probably be shutdown in the next couple years.

If you ever need to reinstall those files from your backup just run "dpkg -i *.deb". That will install every one of them which might not be what you want since packages you uninstalled and no longer want might be in there. The other option is to give it the exact filenames of each package or delete any packages you don't want. Some of the packages depend on a lot of other packages that you didn't directly install, so keep deleted packages around in case a package fails to install.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
The packages for everything you've installed is kept in /var/cache/apt/archives on your device and you can backup that directory in case the repository ever gets shutdown and it will probably be shutdown in the next couple years.
Actually, there is a very real risk that the repositories will be shut down at the end of this year, when Nokia funding for their hosting terminates.

This thread has some information on how to make a local copy for all eventualities. One should also keep a copy of the latest firmware images in a safe place.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Someone should put together a package with all the vital firmware, flashing programs, and vital downloads and put it in a torrent or something.

Ok, another question. Maemo Mapper - what's the best way to get maps for it, and is it ok to delete the stock map program and it's data after getting Maemo Mapper all setup?

How do I find / access the /var/cache/apt/archives folder? I can't find it on the device.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
How do I find / access the /var/cache/apt/archives folder? I can't find it on the device.
If you try to access to it one level at a time, where do you get an error?

It's not an error, I can't even find /var

Tags
newbie, nokia n810