Active Topics

Hello fellow TMOers,

I stumbled across a web page for India's import and export. When you search for the Intex Aqua fish you get interesting results:

https://www.zauba.com/import-aqua-fi...s-hs-code.html

According to their database it seems that 20 000 units of Intex aqua fish were imported from China to India in 5 batches. I would have guessed that its more than that, but well, it's a start!

Disclaimer:
I don't know whether the numbers are legitimate, correct, complete, accurate and/or up to date, but still - interesting enough to share and good starting poiunt for a discussion

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Well it's the fact that is not easily available worldwide and not through even the official promised shop Snapdeal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Unfortunately interest is slowing down, it looks like they split the last 5000 batch in two. The per unit value is decreasing a bit too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Unfortunately interest is slowing down, it looks like they split the last 5000 batch in two...
I don't think that the splitting of the batches is related to the interest: The first four batches were delivered before the release date and the last (small) batch less than a month later.
If the first four batches (18800 mobiles) would have been gone so quickly Intex would definitely order more than just another 1200 mobiles. I rather guess that the 20 000 phones was an initial order and that the splitting of batches was done because of other reasons (e.g. production time plans). If the assumptions (and data) are correct than Intex expected to sell at least 20 000 phones (initial order) and those 20 000 are not sold out yet (no re-import until now).

The per unit value is decreasing a bit too.
I think the decreasing per unit value is a consequence of volatile currencies. Probably the price was fixed in USD and since June the USD lost a little against the Indian Rupee.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Well it's the fact that is not easily available worldwide and not through even the official promised shop Snapdeal.
Oh yes, of course. Lack of availability. An unfinished OS, buggy core apps with missing features and non-existent ecosystem have absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Oh yes, of course. Lack of availability. An unfinished OS, buggy core apps with missing features and non-existent ecosystem have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Very true, unfortunately progress in those areas is painfully slow and that hurts. It is also understandable the limitation of resources, meanwhile tho competitors are catching up quickly, e.g. iphone with no button, split screen on android, swipe gesture, etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Is this a scam? Seems pretty cheap. Still wouldn't buy as LTE won't likely work in US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-Aqua-F...3D121245551930

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Is this a scam? Seems pretty cheap. Still wouldn't buy as LTE won't likely work in US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-Aqua-F...3D121245551930
Why do you think it's a scam? Only thing which probably isn't correct is the item location (Florida). Most probably the phone will be shipped form India, as the seller is based there. The price for the Aqua Fish is around 75 USD in India, so 130 USD + shipping isn't even that cheap.

Indian based ebay seller "lowpriceshopee" for example offers the phone for 82USD + shipping. A big minus: Only payment option is Paisabay, which can be troublesome for non-Indians. Until two weeks ago he had the same offer with PayPal as payment option, no idea why he stopped. According to this list International shipping works well, at least for non-Germans. (And no reports from US-residents until now )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Ok. Didn't realize you could get for such a low price in India. Guess the specs are a little on the low end but still seems like a bargan. I would definately buy one if LTE worked in US. Wonder what comparable android phone you could get for $75 in India. How much are iphones there?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
It's like in most emerging markets: You can find really really cheap phones from unknown/local companies, but "premium" phones (e.g. Iphone) are usually even more expensive than in the US or in Europe. In India Android phones start at less than 30 USD (Aqua G2 *) ) and 75 USD can get you a comparable Intex Android phone in terms of specs. And yes, specs are on the low side and Intex saved money wherever possible (no compass, one-colored LED, no scratch-resistive screen). Still, overall build quality is said to be OK. Therefore same with me: If it wasn't for the "wrong" LTE bands I woul definitely buy one.

*) Not sure wether this "thing" qualifies as an Android phone. I am amazed that you can even find suppliers for such shitty components (0,3 Megapixel cameras e.g.) in 2016

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post: