Hello everyone, my name is samantha and I just bought a new Nokia n900, it seemed a really nice phone with a very large potential, however I ran into a booting issue, the phone itself doesn't randomly reboot while I'm using application, as in other cases that I've been reading, but when I normally shut it down, I give it some time, and try to turn it on again, instead of a normal booting like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HorA_H8TKdo

It repeats the cycle some times, for instance the first Nokia screen shows, then the dots, then a black screen, the the first Nokia Screen again, just like If I had just turned it on, and it will repeat a few times, and then eventually it will turn on.

Does anyone knows if this is an issue in the hardware?

Because I already read tutorials and flashed the emmc and the OS to the latest version, and it still doing it with the factory settings, no custom applications, etc.

I just turn it on after a full flash, use it a bit, such as taking pictures, playing chess, and then when I turn it off and try to turn back on, that strande boot cycle happns.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This isn't normal.

The youtube video shows the battery very low. Is that related?

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Agree with geneven, either you got some (low) battery issue, or you should turn that device in for repair. Never heard about a startup procedure like that, unless someone been fiddling around with some startup scripts and stuff.

It happens with full battery too, and it also happens after a full flash, so it has no custom apps or scrips :S

Do you think there is anything software related, or should I return and ask for a new device :S?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You seem to be a reliable witness so I can't see how you caused this. It's very unusual, in my experience, for the hardware to be that defective. If you had downloaded enough software to cause a problem because of a shortage of resources (rootfs filling up), that could explain it, but if you aren't doing something like that, I think you should return it and get another one.

If you have an extra memory card, you should try removing it. If anyone else uses your N900, you should try removing them

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@samanthabi:If this is a new device and no previous owner has tinkered with it in some strange way (and as you say you have successfully reflashed it completely) i'd say it's a low chance that this has to do with software. Then I would definetly demand the reseller (or Nokia) to trade with a completely new boxed N900. Just be clear when you describe the problem and they should really satisfy your demands, if its a serious company. And of course, don't forget to take out you sd card and back up the internal MyDocs stuff that you have.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-11-21 at 21:04.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
If it acts like this with freshly flashed firmware then it is likely a hardware issue, but try it without a SIM card and memory card to rule them out as possible causes of the problem.

Well I guess I will have to do that :S, I don't even have any documents yet, the phone is running only with the basic things from the factory, funny how it doesn't happen everytime, and if the phone is on, it can stay on for a long time with no problem at all, the only issue is when I turn it off and turn back on :S, but I'm afraid it will bring more problems in the future, so I think I should ask for a new device anyway .__.

I'd flash this kernel: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/...-fb-omap1-pr13
You can then watch it boot and see what happens.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Hmm, would you please be kind enough to point me to a good tutorial on how to flash the kernel correctly?