Active Topics

So I saved 2 nameservers (DNS) from my router and then OpenVPN connects and i can use it just fine but the next time I connect again, it just won't. I opened resolv.conf and the nameservers were gone. Is this meant to be this way?

thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to xuggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
So I saved 2 nameservers (DNS) from my router and then OpenVPN connects and i can use it just fine but the next time I connect again, it just won't. I opened resolv.conf and the nameservers were gone. Is this meant to be this way?

thanks!
I don't think so...
For me, name-servers were gone only after re-flash. They worked reliably before re-flash through several reboots.
But I use only two Internet connections: WiFi and USB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
On the N900, /etc/resolv.conf should only contain 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver. It then uses dnsmasq to reference the appropriate DNS servers for each connection (see /var/run/resolv.conf.*). If you set the DNS servers via the UI then they should be persistent though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I've solved this issue by using opendns,
just add this lines to /etc/resolv.conf :
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eti1 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies.

hmm well I added 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf and also removed the default ISP DNS entries that get populated in /var/run/resolv.conf.wlan0 (they don't work with OpenVPN) or rather my vpn provider. I tried the opendns too and 2 provided by my vpn provider still for some odd reason it doesn't store them in resolv.conf, they just vanish :S and the file stays blank.

Thx Rob1n, I set static DNS for the AP and resolv.conf now stores them fine so works both when connected and not connected to OpenVPN..

Now I just need to get SIP working with OpenVPN i saw a script somewhere.

thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to xuggs For This Useful Post: