Hi all. My USB port has come out of my n900 for the second time but its still under warrenty anyway.

Is there anyway i can format and remove power kernel and return it back to stock without USB port (maybe in x-term or something) or doesnt it matter about that as its a hardware not a software issue?

Can i just uninstall linux kernel for power user and linux kernel for power user (settings and overclock) in faster app manager or will it cause a serious problem?

Thank you very much. Ashley.

Last edited by ash-306; 2011-10-26 at 22:09.

The broken USB port issue is a hardware issue acknowledged by Nokia, so if its under warranty they should replace it without problems.

That said, it really depends on where you live. In the US they replaced my N900 without issue (it was overclocked).

Just be very aggressive if they try to deny the warranty (and explain to them that everything else is working), and print out some Nokia emails to prove that it is an issue they are responsible for (Google it).

Good luck!

Edit: Don't even worry about uninstalling the kernel, if they want to check if you replaced the kernel, they can find out even if you uninstall it, AFAIK.

Last edited by zlatokosi; 2011-10-26 at 22:18.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
the power kernel installs an 'uninstall app' have you tried that?
then look under /lib/modules for the power kernel folders and delete them.
just trying to help i'm not a linux wiz

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
The broken USB port issue is a hardware issue acknowledged by Nokia, so if its under warranty they should replace it without problems.

That said, it really depends on where you live. In the US they replaced my N900 without issue (it was overclocked).

Just be very aggressive if they try to deny the warranty (and explain to them that everything else is working), and print out some Nokia emails to prove that it is an issue they are responsible for (Google it).

Good luck!

Edit: Don't even worry about uninstalling the kernel, if they want to check if you replaced the kernel, they can find out even if you uninstall it, AFAIK.
Ok thanks mate. Im in UK, im sure i sent my last one off with power kernel on it and i got a new one

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
the power kernel installs an 'uninstall app' have you tried that?
then look under /lib/modules for the power kernel folders and delete them.
just trying to help i'm not a linux wiz
That sounds good but i will wait for some linux wiz to come along and confirm this just to make sure, no offence though mate. Thanks for heads up mate.

The Following User Says Thank You to ash-306 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Just use: sudo rm - rf /

But then you won't have anything..not even an OS. Or else you could do the safer thing: sudo /usr/sbin/kernel-power-uninstall

Edit: Just to be clear I was joking about the sudo rm -rf thing. (Although it would work )

Edit2: Does anyone know if you void the warranty by installing kernel-power or just by overclocking? Because kernel-power has all sorts of useful additions. It's not just about overclocking.

You can remove your overclocking profile like this (unless you use some GUI tool):
rm -f /etc/default/kernel-power
/usr/sbin/kernel-load /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/default

Last edited by pantera1989; 2011-10-26 at 23:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
For data protection rights as soon as the port goes on they flash the phone without even booting it up first to the original firmware. So even if you do have a different kernel, if they check by loading your phone and looking in your settings, then that's actually against the law.

Last edited by xRobby; 2011-10-26 at 22:57. Reason: Grammar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
For data protection rights as soon as the port goes on they flash the phone without even booting it up first to the original firmware. So even if you do have a different kernel, if they check by loading your phone and looking in your settings, then that's actually against the law.
Oh rite. I didnt know this, but thinking about it, yes that would be against the law. I will just leave it then. Just wondering how they flash it without usb port lol. Thank you very much mate.

The Following User Says Thank You to ash-306 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by ash-306 View Post
Oh rite. I didnt know this, but thinking about it, yes that would be against the law. I will just leave it then. Just wondering how they flash it without usb port lol. Thank you very much mate.
There are points underneath where the battery lies that are used for data transmission. See this thread for details: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71414 . Definitely not for the faint of heart (myself included)

+1 No problem getting USB replaced with modded phone.

I will add that the device I returned had MUCH better overclock and under volt capability. I was very diapointed when I got my new one. Couldnt run "starving 805mhz" anymore.

Just got my new nokia phone back. They have sent me a brand new boxed with everything Nokia E7. I do really want my n900 tbh, but looking on ebay, the e7 is worth a fair bit more so i think it will be up for sale and might buy me a new n900 .