Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I Just tried setting mine at 1.2Ghz. N900 locked up immediately. LOL
Tried 1.1Ghz. Works. Tried playing avi. Fine. But don't feel safe. =P
So i've underclocked it (haha) back to 1Ghz which I know was stable for past 2 days.
Ah well, if I see symtoms of instability over next few days, I'll clock it down further.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Ran Lehto's 900 MHz kernel (w/ stock DSP) for 72 hours; zero problems. Switched to titan's experimental kernel with 125 on the low-end and my max frequency set to 950; been running for about 7 hours, also zero problems. Spent a few mins at 600 MHz during the transition between the two, just to make sure my perceived performance improvements weren't a placebo effect. I wanted to tear my eyes out. 600 was SO slow, I will never go back. I'd MUCH rather have a short life time of use with a smooth UI and end up with a fried brick than endure a long life time of the out-of-the-box performance of this mediocre UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted, but today, Peter@Maemo and Tekojo (both Nokia employees) have reiterated the official stance: Do not overclock the N900, it is a bad idea and it will void the warranty.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it highly unlikely that unless you say that you overclocked your device that they will find out that you did it and tell you your warranty is void. Especially if your able to reflash the stock kernel (maybe even the rootfs) before sending it in for a warranty return. Still, nothing like spreading around a bit of FUD though eh? :P

Hey if anyone is interested in any more performance...

Try this:

Code:
echo 75 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 150000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
By default, the ondemand governor is very aggressive about when it cycles up (waits for 95% load), and can have a significant latency of up to 300ms. This means if you saturate your CPU, your average wait for frequency increase is 150ms (0-300ms).

This change cuts that time in half, and lowers the bar for how much load is needed before committing.

It may affect battery life slightly (more frequent sampling, more aggressive cycle-up), but gives a yet more snappy feel. It may have no effect (or even lower battery consumption) by minimizing unneeded time at high cycle rates (responding to drop in load more quickly). Try it out!

If you want to make it permanent, just do this:

Code:
cat > /etc/event.d/ondemand-config << EOF
start on started xsession

console output
script
        echo 75 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
        echo 150000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
end script
EOF
In case anyone is wondering "why on started xsession?" .. it's because at some point late in the bootup, the ondemand scheduler is selected by something and I'm not sure what. When it's set, it resets the values. So I just wait a bit.

Have fun!

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-04-07 at 06:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
Originally Posted by istarskyypsilon View Post
Yeah i would like to know that too. But i dont have the setup to do that..somebody else could measure T and post the results.
IMO its important for many users to know if the battery last shorter when OCing. I dont want to have less battery time then there already is.
well im using 900mhz and the battery is better.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Honestly, I'm not being a "naysayer" or anything, but I can't help but wonder why the Nokia guys are responding like this unless they've got some data about overclocking that we don't. You'd think they would just turn a blind eye if it didn't matter, no? Why even tweet about it if they didn't know one way or the other?

Anyway, I personally love reading these success stories. I truly hope they remain success stories.

I will also wait a short while (at least till 1.2) before replacing my kernel, and then I'll probably use the "community kernel" with all of the other nice hacks, so I can maybe do "temporary OC'ing" for the occasional processor intensive tasks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
If nokia know the problems then they should tell everyone what they are.

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Originally Posted by Termana View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think it highly unlikely that unless you say that you overclocked your device that they will find out that you did it and tell you your warranty is void. Especially if your able to reflash the stock kernel (maybe even the rootfs) before sending it in for a warranty return. Still, nothing like spreading around a bit of FUD though eh? :P
If you brick it or toast it from overheating you can't flash the stock kernel back, can you?

Honestly, I'm not being a "naysayer" or anything, but I can't help but wonder why the Nokia guys are responding like this unless they've got some data about overclocking that we don't. You'd think they would just turn a blind eye if it didn't matter, no? Why even tweet about it if they didn't know one way or the other?

Anyway, I personally love reading these success stories. I truly hope they remain success stories.

I will also wait a short while (at least till 1.2) before replacing my kernel, and then I'll probably use the "community kernel" with all of the other nice hacks, so I can maybe do "temporary OC'ing" for the occasional processor intensive tasks.
Again, do take some time and check below link:
http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/ove...ing-the-droid/

If you care to google around, there're few OC thread for different devices using similar processor as the N900.

So, N900 is inferrior in this matter?

Android have a well built app for OC with intelligent features and profiles for limiting the clock speed for different conditions.

Keep telling people not good and so on, it's pointless; people will still do it. Might as well take built an app like Android or even better ones, than provides controlled OC that is good people who wants to OC.
There will still people who will take the risk and go over the "controlled"."safety" limits, it's inevitable.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Well, Intel and AMD desktop CPU's have been overclocked since their existence. Well, close enough.
But they still do not support overclocking one bit even though that's a big factor when most geeks purchase their PCs. (overclockability = popular)

eg. Intel i7 860 is half the price of i7 870 cpu. But if you have any half-decent motherboard, it takes literally 30seconds to overclock 860 to 870 speed. (and have 100% identical stability, yes, really)

If you were Intel, would this bother you? Yes. =P

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom