Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

Hmmm....I don't have any issue about sensitivity at the top right or bottom right....but I do notice at the middle right edge, that I have to press a little bit harder for a reaction.

To see this, try clicking in the middle of the screen as gently as you can...find the minimum pressure that makes a cllick sound. Then try this at the right edge...I find it requires a little more pressure.

I would not have seen this as a fault though until I read this thread...and just assumed it wasn't as perfect as it could be.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This forum has the natural tendency to highlight problems, producing the impression that they are more pervasive than they really are. Plus, the poll is very broad... "sensitivity issues" is too big a bucket to get an accurate reading on individual issues, which can differ.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
There were some pretty accurate reports of this problem in the thread mentioned in the original post (#1) supported by convincing screenshots of MaemoPad+ suggesting reduced sensitivity mostly along the right edge. Regardless of the results of this poll, the problem does exist.

I've just got back my 770 from warranty replacement of its screen but as a "side-effect" the screw covers got marked and the bottom plastic panel is broken. I'll think twice before letting a technician touch my N800...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Please don't take my comments to say that there is no problem.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If there are ever problems with no response after clicking, they are often going to be along the right, because I spend a lot more time clicking there than anywhere else.

Sometimes my whole N800 seems to pause, like it's thinking or swapping. I think that's normal, and has nothing to do with screen sensitivity, but it is possible that someone might incorrectly identify it as having to do with sensitivity.

I am pretty sure that I don't have this problem. I am using the N800 many hours a day.

Hey if I buy one now is there a better chance I wont end up with a deffective n800? And if there is can I take it back for an exchange for a new one? Btw how long is the warrenty?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That's the information we need from Nokia, to be honest. Is this an ongoing problem or has it been rectified on the production line?

Well, after a month of intermittent use, my N800's touchscreen has completely stopped working. I know the machine isn't frozen because I can still navigate with the controls on the left. Even running calibration again doesn't activate it.

Is there a way to reboot the tablet in case some setting is just stuck? I'd hate to think I have a $400 boat anchor...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Have you got any protective screens in place - they can sometimes confuse the touchscreen layer if too thick, and should be removed if you are having problems.

If you don't have a protective layer or removing it makes no difference, then...

Step 1. Pull the battery for 5 seconds then power up the device

If that doesn't work...

Step 2. Reflash the device using the last known good firmware

If that doesn't work...

Step 3. Return to Nokia (warranty repair) or place of purchase (refund or replace)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Have you got any protective screens in place - they can sometimes confuse the touchscreen layer if too thick, and should be removed if you are having problems.
Don't use those for just that concern. Of course maybe I should have.

Step 1. Pull the battery for 5 seconds then power up the device
Tried that.

Step 2. Reflash the device using the last known good firmware
Actually, went ahead and upgraded thinking it might be some issue with the older version. No help.

Step 3. Return to Nokia (warranty repair) or place of purchase (refund or replace)
TigerDirect refuses to allow returns of the N800 after 3 days (so they told me). Wonder why...

So guess it's Nokia after all. I presume if I go to their web site all the info is there for getting service?

Thanks,
Ewan