Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I would like to offer the option on my application to place calls and send sms using tor. Did you create or plan to any dbus interfaces that would allow me to start tor passing a phone number to place a call and or send a sms message?

note: I don't actually have a google voice account so I am not sure how it or tor works.... I am assuming that it can place calls to phone numbers using a google voice and that you may have an interface to allow users to write a message and send it as sms via gv. Please correct if I am wrong.
TOR works by plugging into the Telepathy framework. What this means is if you write against one of the telepathy bindings (like telepathy-qt4) then you will get support for GV, Skype, Phone, SIP, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
TOR works by plugging into the Telepathy framework. What this means is if you write against one of the telepathy bindings (like telepathy-qt4) then you will get support for GV, Skype, Phone, SIP, etc.
I am trying to actually avoid dealing with telepathy, mainly because I haven't seen the need for but also because I haven't figured it out.

Right now I use a dbus call to com.nokia.csd to start a phone call. I have looked everywhere for a way to do the same with skype and haven't found one (do you happen to have any hints for me on how to do that?). Right now I just start the dialer with another dbus call passing the phone number and the user has to change the call type to skype and push the call button - far too complicated for my goal.

Does tor include a dial pad ui for you to place a call or the user just use the standard phone app and select tor as the call type like one can do with skype? I don't actually want to create any ui to handle the call, I just want to start the call to a number from my application with whatever ui exists

Thanks for the quick reply

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

I am trying to actually avoid dealing with telepathy, mainly because I haven't seen the need for but also because I haven't figured it out.

Right now I use a dbus call to com.nokia.csd to start a phone call. I have looked everywhere for a way to do the same with skype and haven't found one (do you happen to have any hints for me on how to do that?). Right now I just start the dialer with another dbus call passing the phone number and the user has to change the call type to skype and push the call button - far too complicated for my goal.
Though Telepathy doesn't seem very well documented, it is exactly what you want. Rather than each of us creating a custom DBus API, Telepathy gives you a common DBus API for all of the areas that you want.

Does tor include a dial pad ui for you to place a call or the user just use the standard phone app and select tor as the call type like one can do with skype? I don't actually want to create any ui to handle the call, I just want to start the call to a number from my application with whatever ui exists

Thanks for the quick reply
TOR does use the standard dialpad UI

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Though Telepathy doesn't seem very well documented, it is exactly what you want. Rather than each of us creating a custom DBus API, Telepathy gives you a common DBus API for all of the areas that you want.

TOR does use the standard dialpad UI
I will appreciate any links or hints you can give me on how to get started with telepathy to place calls. When I saw dialcentral and the new qt google voice caller (I don't know its name) I assumed you had to have some kind of dialer ui application.

Thanks again

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

I will appreciate any links or hints you can give me on how to get started with telepathy to place calls. When I saw dialcentral and the new qt google voice caller (I don't know its name) I assumed you had to have some kind of dialer ui application.

Thanks again
Dialcentral and TOR use Copy-And-Paste style of code reuse

qgvdial is a completely independent code base.

Being a Connection Manager implementer, I read the Telepathy Spec a lot
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/
It basically describes the DBus object hierarchy.

I'm unsure of the state of telepathy-qt4 but they have examples
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc...__example.html

The telepathy mailing list is a good place for more details. I think there are some projects using this stuff for Maemo but am unsure

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
For both, have you already had the chat window open for the missed messages?
No, the phone was in a normal, "standby" state as far as I remember. I will try to provide more info in the coming days, maybe I can come up with some sort of reproducibility.

Originally Posted by mkotsayfan View Post
No, the phone was in a normal, "standby" state as far as I remember. I will try to provide more info in the coming days, maybe I can come up with some sort of reproducibility.
The latest version in -devel has only been tested on my desktop and not on my n900 but if you open the Debug Prompt (a conversation with your GV number) it will start pumping out some information on on how many SMSs its dropping for what reason

The latest version in -devel has only been tested on my desktop and not on my n900 but if you open the Debug Prompt (a conversation with your GV number) it will start pumping out some information on on how many SMSs its dropping for what reason
I downloaded the new version, thanks for adding that debug prompt. I assume get_state would be the prompt most interesting to my situation?

I have noticed quite a coincidence. Each of the last three days I havent received texts after 1200pm PST, before that time it is ok. Perhaps the state machine is resetting at 12, and is looking for a new "thread" (i.e. a new day) for that user and can't find one.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
Due to GOOG releasing GV to everyone, I want to be the 1st to say, that the 1st person who says"So I just got my GV number,how does this work? Will be laughed at for days". Any chance of implamenting some sort of player(or push it to the media player) to hear voice mails, yeah its kind of redundant, but it would make your app the complete package, if you know what i mean.

Originally Posted by mkotsayfan View Post
I downloaded the new version, thanks for adding that debug prompt. I assume get_state would be the prompt most interesting to my situation?

I have noticed quite a coincidence. Each of the last three days I havent received texts after 1200pm PST, before that time it is ok. Perhaps the state machine is resetting at 12, and is looking for a new "thread" (i.e. a new day) for that user and can't find one.
The prompt has been there for a while. What I added was more verbose logging that is directed straight to the prompt. Open it up and do a state machine reset and you will probably get some messages after a minute or so.

The timing sounds very interesting. There are places I look at time stamps and I might be doing something wrong with them. I'll have to look into that.

EDIT: I guess I don't stay up late texting enough

Last edited by epage; 2010-06-23 at 19:39.

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5