Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I would really love to see a community develop around KDE or another WM and integration with Hildon/Maemo apps. KDE is so much more mature and polished than Maemo and it seems a shame to ignore that. I don't think the different projects can survive without each other (on the n800/770) and the ability to share applications. I fired up konqueror while the Hildon desktop was running and although it took a while it did come up and was usable. I'd really like to see the same for Maemo apps in KDE (automatic inclusion of Maemo apps in the menus), but one step at a time I suppose. I definitely sympathize with you penguinbait! --I have five kids and another on the way.

Larry
Man Larry, I figured out what caused the kids after the 4th one, if you want I can draw a visio diagram
OK, here is one I get all the time, Man what are you Catholic?
Or, you can have surgery to correct that problem.

I wanted to include the menus for hildon, and you can easily add you own menus, with kmenuedit, but I just did not have the time and effort to put into it. On top of that while I think my KDE is very useable, I mainly posted it to encourage others (hopefully developers) to jump on board and demand that we get a solid copy of KDE working with maemo. It just quickly opens up so many avenues to this platform, if we can only get the development community onboard, or Nokia would be even better. I think working towards making this platform more open and easier to develop on will make it so we get many many more application choices.

Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I would really love to see a community develop around KDE or another WM and integration with Hildon/Maemo apps. KDE is so much more mature and polished than Maemo and it seems a shame to ignore that. I don't think the different projects can survive without each other (on the n800/770) and the ability to share applications. I fired up konqueror while the Hildon desktop was running and although it took a while it did come up and was usable. I'd really like to see the same for Maemo apps in KDE (automatic inclusion of Maemo apps in the menus), but one step at a time I suppose. I definitely sympathize with you penguinbait! --I have five kids and another on the way.

Larry
Man Larry, I figured out what caused the kids after the 4th one, if you want I can draw a visio diagram

I wanted to include the menus for hildon, and you can easily add you own menus, with kmenuedit, but I just did not have the time and effort to put into it. On top of that while I think my KDE is very useable, I mainly posted it to encourage others (hopefully developers) to jump on board and demand that we get a solid copy of KDE working with maemo. It just quickly opens up so many avenues to this platform, if we can only get the development community onboard, or Nokia would be even better. I think working towards making this platform more open and easier to develop on will make it so we get many many more application choices.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Yeah, been there done that. The best was when I was in a meeting at work that included this mouthy lady who found out we were expecting our fifth and said "Man, what are you, MORMON?" To which I said of course -- "Yep!" She didn't have much to say after that Some people just don't understand we actually like having children.
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I'm afraid it's going to be kind of like how GNOME and KDE were for a long time, two separate camps that can both run on the same hardware but don't mingle at all. This is especially true in this situation where the vendor -Nokia- wants a uniform, controlled experience for the end-user. The problem is they're trying to reinvent the wheel over and over again with their mail application, RSS reader, and so forth. There are so many lessons that have been learned by the developers of other, more mature applications that will need to be learned over and over again for the Maemo/Hildon desktop. I really feel they should have integrated existing top-notch applications like Claws mail and so forth to flesh out their suite. Even patching things to use Hildon customizations on their own would be so much less work that starting from the ground up.

This has turned into quite the post, but despite the good sense in re-using and integrating both desktop environments and applications I don't see that happening. If nothing else it would require a little bit of humility to say "we were wrong" and to work towards this goal of harmonizing these great DEs and applications and tossing the existing applications they've created.

Larry

Anyone interested in playing with wireshark, I compiled it, the menus are hard to user but command line works good.

Wireshare replaced Ethereal for those that are wondering, for others Ethereal is a packet sniffer that is very configurable. tcpdump is also in this, its about 16MB. 60MB uncompressed.

I have not figured out the problem with KDE, the gui kept crashing on me, but works good in openbox.

http://penguinbait.com/wireshark.tar.bz2

I didnt make any icons, post one if you make one Run sudo wireshark for gui or tshark from command line.

Sorry, another question:
Why isnīt Opera browser included in the ROX packet? I really miss it with my bookmarks and all...

Can I start it manually, or can I even configure an desktp icon or start menu item for it?

Originally Posted by tolou View Post
Sorry, another question:
Why isnīt Opera browser included in the ROX packet? I really miss it with my bookmarks and all...

Can I start it manually, or can I even configure an desktp icon or start menu item for it?
Well, to answer bluntly, because it did not work. I played briefly with it, but I could not make it work under openbox or any other WM. I am sure there is a way, but I don't have the answer.

Sorry!

Has anyone gotten any further with the Nokia 770 and Openbox-ROX on OS2006. I know it works on the hacker edition, but there are too many things broken in OS2007Hacker edition.

I am just curious of how to approach the problem. It appears to run, just the display appears to be off.

Thanks.

BTW, thanks penguinbait for releasing this wonderful app.

Originally Posted by meek_sfsj View Post
Has anyone gotten any further with the Nokia 770 and Openbox-ROX on OS2006. I know it works on the hacker edition, but there are too many things broken in OS2007Hacker edition.

I am just curious of how to approach the problem. It appears to run, just the display appears to be off.

Thanks.

BTW, thanks penguinbait for releasing this wonderful app.

Sorry no 770 here, and I am assuming from the lack of response from the community, nobody got it working?

I have absolutely no intention of using your software, but it's awesome.
I have space.
I'll get it up by Monday.

Uploadified!
I has files for yoooouuu.
http://www.taborhenderson.com/downlo...X6.tar.bz2.tar

Someone download and make sure it works.