Active Topics

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Hello,

I am using my N810 for the following:

- (mostly nightly) web browsing, including email checking. Using native microb, although getting now some trouble due to annoying javascript messages. tried fennec which was then too buggy. I am not into geeking, so left tear aside

- every day use of alarm clock (also native app)

- daily use of omweather

- some use of evince to read pdf

- occasional use of quiver to show photos to friends while traveling

- occasional use of skype

- very occasional use of video apps for movies (getting quite buggy)

The device travels with me every time (even when I carry a pc). In nutshell, it has a limed but steady use, although it is slowly becoming less reliable. I will keep it for a while hoping to get around some of the current or future bugs.

Antonio

The Following User Says Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ North America (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
With all the positive comments, should I pick one up perhaps even in addition to an N900? Ideally I'd get the one with WiMAX even if there are few places where I could actually use WiMAX at but it's just nice to have the extra connectivity as a capability.

Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
With all the positive comments, should I pick one up perhaps even in addition to an N900? Ideally I'd get the one with WiMAX even if there are few places where I could actually use WiMAX at but it's just nice to have the extra connectivity as a capability.
Before I did that, I would srsly consider what benefits this device would give you over a much newer alternative, like Huawei S7 Tablet. I have a N810 non-WiMAX, and while it's better than the N900 on quite a few things (mainly due to size), I'm rarely tempted to use it. It seems slow now, can't install anything without removing something first, etc. Most bluetooth aspects, especially A2DP and tethering is less than perfect.

It's an old device. It was the best mobile internet device available at the time. It's not any more. And when it's not that, then it's not a lot of selling points left.

Why I keep mine:
  • screen size
  • input methods
  • battery life

My usage patterns mostly revolve around email/jabber/ssh and the odd web page or PDF doc (ie, reading and writing text). The available email options on all Maemo devices so far pretty much suck, but for the rest the N8x0s are still the best devices currently available. I don't need a cellphone except for using as a modem, and these days a "mifi" device is a better option for that anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
makes love to n810, squirt squirt