Active Topics

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ South Florida
So I got an N900 from the retail store about a week ago and have been amazed at how horrible the battery life has been on the phone. Moderate use, the phone still cant survive more than 5 hours tops.
Now, after Googling a bit found that most users have much better battery life and that one other reviewer had the same crappy battery life as me. Someone had suggested to him that his Power Save Mode for Wifi might be off and that he should turn it on.
For the life of me I can't find how to check if PSM is on and/or how to enable it.

Does anyone know the terminal commands or whatever to check if PSM is on and then how to turn it on if it isnt on?

Thanks so much guys!

good question I too await the answer

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Page 31 of the manual

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Originally Posted by TheUnlockr.com View Post
So I got an N900 from the retail store about a week ago and have been amazed at how horrible the battery life has been on the phone. Moderate use, the phone still cant survive more than 5 hours tops.
Now, after Googling a bit found that most users have much better battery life and that one other reviewer had the same crappy battery life as me. Someone had suggested to him that his Power Save Mode for Wifi might be off and that he should turn it on.
For the life of me I can't find how to check if PSM is on and/or how to enable it.

Does anyone know the terminal commands or whatever to check if PSM is on and then how to turn it on if it isnt on?

Thanks so much guys!
settings.then display then scroll on left grey bit its nr the bottom hope this helps.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
Go to setting>internet conections>connections>select your connections>edit>next>next>next>advanced>other

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklass For This Useful Post:
Thanks everybody! Seems that it is on, amy other idea what could be causing the horrible battery life? Can PSM effect the power when the WiFi is off?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Thanks everybody! Seems that it is on, amy other idea what could be causing the horrible battery life? Can PSM effect the power when the WiFi is off?
What brand, model and firmware version is your router? Many cheaper routers do not support WiFi PSM and will never allow the device's radio to sleep, no matter what settings you enable or disable on your device. Sometimes (though not often) these issues can be fixed by updating the firmware on your router, but if not the only way to solve it is to buy a router that properly supports WiFi PSM (the vast majority of the non-bargain bin models—WRT54GL is a decent choice these days, or any other model supported by the Tomato firmware).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What brand, model and firmware version is your router? Many cheaper routers do not support WiFi PSM and will never allow the device's radio to sleep, no matter what settings you enable or disable on your device. Sometimes (though not often) these issues can be fixed by updating the firmware on your router, but if not the only way to solve it is to buy a router that properly supports WiFi PSM (the vast majority of the non-bargain bin models—WRT54GL is a decent choice these days, or any other model supported by the Tomato firmware).
No, sorry. I mean on the N900. I was trying to fix the crappy battery life on the phone and saw a solution to change the PSM on the N900 to help, but apparently seems that it isn't that. Im not evening using WiFi at all and the phone dies in under 5 hours with very moderate use.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
No, sorry. I mean on the N900. I was trying to fix the crappy battery life on the phone and saw a solution to change the PSM on the N900 to help, but apparently seems that it isn't that. Im not evening using WiFi at all and the phone dies in under 5 hours with very moderate use.
PSM only applies to WiFi.

Can you more definitely define "moderate"? What applications are you using? How are you using them? Does powertop output anything interesting?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
PSM only applies to WiFi.

Can you more definitely define "moderate"? What applications are you using? How are you using them? Does powertop output anything interesting?
Moderate, like purposely controlled my excitement and made sure not to use it lol Send a few texts, made 3 or 4 calls went onto a few websites (maybe an hour of surfing), no wifi, no bluetooth, no fm transmitter, I even turn off the internet connection when not using the internet. So very moderate and it dies after 6 hours or less.

I told Nokia and they said to send it in, but Im trying to avoid waiting 10 days or longer to get it back...