Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Is it "Happy owner of a N900" or "Happy owner of an N900"
I honestly don't know.
Since you say "en nine hundred" you use "an" as in "an anachronism". If there was some special way of pronouncing it such as "nanninehundred", starting with a consonant, you would say a nanninehundred.

So "an N900" is correct.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been wondering, but by your clue, I'd guess Russian first.

Your English isn't really a problem to me, to be 100% honest. And if anything, I feel as if you are rather efficient and effective with English as your secondary language. If anything, it took more communication with you for me to even notice that it might not be your primary language.

And yes... that is a compliment.

If not Russian, I'd second guess Estonian. But your clue leads me away from German, which I honestly thought you might have said at first.

Regardless, don't take this thread (it was not pointed at you) nor my question personal. Just being curious now.

Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
I'm loving this thread It is more correct to say " A happy owner of a N900, because 'N' is not a vowel. However in 'ordinary' spoken English it does sound more natural to say 'an' in this circumstance. Neither way is wrong, it all depends if your writing or speaking.
Absolutely wrong. It doesn't matter what letter N900 starts with; what matters is how N900 is pronounced. Since the pronunciation starts with a vowel sound, "an N900" is correct, I think even in England!

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
As far as I know, "its" is the only world in the English language where you don't use an apostrophe for the possessive. I always spell it with an apostrophe to protest.
Oh yeah? What about "his" and "her"? No apostrophe, but possessive.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-27 at 00:50.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If not Russian, I'd second guess Estonian. But your clue leads me away from German, which I honestly thought you might have said at first.
So point on the map between those 2 counties and you are done
Polish.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Absolutely wrong. It doesn't matter what letter N900 starts with; what matters is how N900 is pronounced. Since the pronunciation starts with a vowel sound, "an N900" is correct, I think even in England!
Thanks for saving my signature :P

But seriously, It's hard to say this for me... an en nine I fell like I'm stuttering.

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-27 at 01:05.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by devu View Post
So point on the map between those 2 counties and you are done
Polish.
I knew from your sentence structure in the few instances where it may have betrayed you that it was eastern European. Cool to know.

Regardless, glad your footer is correct now.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I knew from your sentence structure in the few instances where it may have betrayed you that it was eastern European. Cool to know.

Regardless, glad your footer is correct now.
English guys here are very nice and use to say "Your English is better than my Polish" But I prefer if somebody will correct me. That's the faster way to learn for me. Is nothing worst like somebody will learn the way how you saying things. You getting use to the bad constructions and baking into your mind thinking if he get me its okay... no is not. Imagine 2 years old English baby. I bet you will keep correct him every time.

So... feel free even if will hurt

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Part of the spelling is coming from using the N900 physical keypad to enter this stuff. I have to triple check my postings before I add them and still stuff gets by me. I was an editor of a magazine for several years and it makes me crazy to see my stuff with typos. I know they still get through but the combination of using the physical keypad and the small font on the screen makes it tough.

Another point is not everyone who uses this forum is a native English user. I can not even conceive of how laughable my posts would be in this regard if I had to post in Spanish. If I had to post in Serbo-Croatian I couldn't post at all.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Oh yeah? What about "his" and "her"? No apostrophe, but possessive.
I'm still going to spell "it's" win an apostrophe!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29