Notices

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi;

I don't need TrueCrypt, just need to use a better "zip" style encryption for single files than the easily broken ZipCrypto. xarchiver plus the "base" zip/unzip modules is easy and elegant, and it can decrypt .zip files that I create on my Windoze PC with 7zip, provided I choose the "ZipCrypto" method. But, I can't find the module that understands the better AES-256 encryption that 7zip can use, which is IMHO "unbreakable" for practical purposes.

Why am I trying to do this? I have a .txt file that I use to store all the hundreds of passwords and other sensitive info I need to do my job and live my life. On my Windoze PCs, I use a neat little utility called PINS4 which has super-paranoid levels of encryption. http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/index.html It has other great features that make it indispensable. However, I need to figure out a way to put the source file on my N810 in an encrypted format that will be safe if the NIT is stolen.

xarchiver is great because it has a "view" feature, so one does not need to actually extract the file and then delete the extracted file after viewing it. But, I'm open to other ideas if they are not complex. Again, the goal is to be able to see the password file, click on it, type in the complex and hard to guess password, and then look at the contents. I'm not in the mood to muck around with a lot of esoteric stuff. I'd like to be able to encrypt the file, email it to myself, and download the encrypted file onto the NIT. I don't anticipate ever needing to edit the file on the NIT, just view it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Isn't Openssl available for Maemo?

If it's available you should be able to do something like

encrypt:
openssl enc -aes-256-cfb -e -in filename.txt -out filename.enc

decrypt:
openssl enc -aes-256-cfb -d -in filename.enc -out filename.txt

On encrypt/decrypt will be prompted for the passphrase.

Compression can then be done independent of the encyption e.g. via xarchiver or directly on commandline via tar.

Last edited by iskarion; 2009-08-05 at 10:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Thanks, iskarion.

I had considered that, but I would really like to avoid having to open up xterm, navigate via lots of typing to a distant destination folder, read the help for openssl (my memory is bad), type in commands, open the decrypted file, read it, then delete it.

The beauty of xarchiver is the "view" option and the fact that it has a nice gui that allows easy browsing of the filesystem.

On a desktop computer, command line stuff is great, but on the N810, with the inadequate keyboard, I really, really prefer to stay in the GUI as much as possible.

But I do greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thanks again!

I wonder how paranoid I need to be. If the NIT is lost, will it be found by someone with enough smarts to try to crack a weakly encrypted .zip, buried in an obscure folder with an odd name?

Steve

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Why don't you attach an example of zipped/encrypted file to experiment with?

If your open to a little bit of change;

I use KeePass 1.x on my devices.
http://keepass.info/

On the NIT, I believe you can get it in the repository.

This is a AES 256 encrypted password system that imo works really well, and is very cross platform so it works on a large number of devices.

Nathan.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
You can script the two commands given above. Then call it from Personal Menu.

If xarchiver can be called from xterm with options to view the file then you could include this too in your script.

Shouldn't be that difficult. Let me know if need help.