Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
The issue with Gallery is definitely the same yes. It seems a number of users with the last Sailfish version are concerned, yet no all. I don't know what is wrong, I did not really get into tweaking yet.
Actually I remember that bug on N9 sailfish also. I then took for granted that thumbnail was there but image itself had dissapeared for uknown reason? Did not check it thought. Maybe others can check if files still exist after upgrade. Also noticed that I loosed all default ambience pictures when remove/insert my white cover

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
[b]
2. a problem with importing contacts from a merged .vcf file: some contacts are not imported although the Jolla sees them; working on it with a sailor and already some progress;
Pfff, I just sorted out all my contacts. I built up 485 contacts over the years in Exchange. Some of them merged with other contact data on N900 and N9, like photo or address, maybe Skype, LinkedIn, I don't know. But the normal sync with Exchange didn't bring them to the Jolla. Then a sync over bluetooth from the N9, no joy either.

In the end I exported all contacts on the N9 into vcf cards, browsed through the Jolla contacts to find out the missing ones. Painful, as I found no way to see a long list of names. The grouping by initial makes you go up again after finishing A to click the B etc. Anyway, I found 137 names missing.

Merged the vcf files into one file. Sent it to the Jolla, no joy. In Excel I threw out all the lines I mistrusted, leaving plain and simple vcf cards with 1 phone number and 1 e-mail address. Pasted those into a new file, sent it to the Jolla by bluetooth and it worked! There may be an easier way, but I did it!

The Following User Says Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Are you unhappy that your phone beeps every time you receive an SMS? Why should email be treated differently?

Thats different. Getting a beep every mail is definitivly not a good idea if you get mail all the time. Only as an option. Especially not if using the phone at work...
Compare SMS with mail is not valid. Definitivly not if you get plenty of mail messages per hour. And definitivly not if you use the phone at work...

IF its implemented it should be as an option and turned off as default.

Adding an option "Alert for all new emails" should be a piece of cake, I've only been waiting 2 years....
as always non developers or geeks who has plenty of freetime do think its a "piece of cake" and something done in 30 minutes.... In reality it takes days... Days that sometimes should be used for more important fixes/improvements....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-18 at 21:45.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Just a notice:

Alarm works as expected in sweden atleast (+1 from finland)...
I think I'm seeing a pattern here... alarm time is off when user's time zone is UTC/GMT, amiright? Sweden is CET (UTC+1), Finland is EET (UTC+2). I'm in Finland and my alarms go off at the time displayed.

Edit: Though I did see the countdown timer glitch where the timer goes to -20 s or so when first started after reboot(?).

Originally Posted by nbedford View Post
This is one 'feature' of harmattan that I would also like to see as an option in SailfishOS. I'm with @Milhouse on this one, I don't see why email would be treated as less important than SMS, after all if I didn't want the email I wouldn't of added the account to my phone.
I just wonder how many mails you get per hour then?

I have three mail account servers on my Jolla. I do not want to get a ping every damn mail I get. So different options for sure. But as stated already the phone blinks atleast. I think thats good enoug.

Btw maybe there is a work around that can be done by the community. add an daemon that check the blinks and send a beep every X minute

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
What's your issue? USB interface not showing up after selecting developer mode?

Did you set up the USB ip etc on your laptop/pc?

On Mac OSX you need the Horndis driver since Apple does not think supporting industry standards is needed.
I can see the Jolla in MTP, but cannot access it with its IP address through ssg like I do over WiFI. This is most likely due to the fact that Windows 8.1 does not seem to provide drivers for USB tethering. I don't know if there are alternatives, or if I could install drivers from another manufacturer (let's say Samsung).

Weirdly, in my connections, I do have a "N9 connection" that I could use for Bluetooth tethering (though if I recall correctly, I had trouble with ssh through USB with the N9 too, on both Windows 8.1 and my XP desktop). Perhaps Nokia Suite had some drivers here.

Jolla should focus on make important stuff stabilized first:
So IMHO below can be:

AFAIK this is fully opensource so and can be done by the community?
I have no idea! And my problem may be related to 8.1. I know I should use Linux, but there are apps I use too much on Windows to replace them by a VM, and their alternatives are not as good, or good too, but I would have to convert dozens of colleages. Impossible.

Anyway, if it can be fixed by community, I'm OK with that too!

Dissagre. Few use MMS this days, better community do it:

Those intrested should consider send a phone to Frals he probadly willing fix it
Oh, so just to be clear, this list was not about complaining about features I want Jolla to implement! For instance, I contacted Frals 2 or 3 days ago to ask him whether he was planning on porting fMMS to Sailfish, so that solution would be perfect for me!

However, I have to say that MMS usage depends on countries, and on your contacts. There are still plenty of people who have no smartphones, or just no proper data plan because they chose a cheap subscription, and don't need more. There are also people who will never use social media, and using emails to quickly send a picture is cumbersome, not to mention your recipient will only know he received something if he is connected to the internet, while with MMS you need the data only to download. All in all, there are big chances all these people can view or send MMS.

It's an outdated method, but that is basically what makes it reliable when more is not needed.

for me wifi/3G should be accessible for pulleymenus in the lockscreen? Btw was not that the original plan to make that pulley menu customable?
No idea! I agree that adding some options in the pulley menu would be nice. As for favorite apps, I was just trying to find them an utility, because currently setting them as favorites only adds shortcuts inside another app (big paradox). By the way, I think having to keep the Settings app open all the time is... Unlike for sure, but not convenient. It uses one of your nine precious covers, acts as a false status bar to show you which connections are active, and the cover is the same whatever the page being displayed if you restore the app to fullscreen.

I was disussing that on IRC just a moment ago: I like the idea that we have no status bar on Jolla and I think it's dealt with in a good manner (but move the battery and connectivity indicators that currently are between lockscreen and homescreen on the lockscreen, with clock), but I miss some sort of general menu to pull down from everywhere like on Harmattan.

On Harmattan, this menu was sometimes terrible because we all triggered it by mistake dozens of times. Perhaps it should be designed differently, or with another gesture, but the idea is there: it would be better to have a generic menu to display wherever you are in Sailfish, rather than a Settings app to keep open, that uses one out of nine covers, and can only be triggered from the homescreen and when no other app is fullscreen.

No no dont make it more complex. Leave as is for now.
Or at least, just allow "rearrange" and "restore if tap on cover" features in the homescreen after you longpressed something. Long press locks this screen, so it can be scrolled down. I'd be happy if this could be used for more things than just closing apps, and I don't hink it would make things more complicated, nor trade-off with any other function.

True but def not important IMHO.
Yeah, the idea behind that was mostly to put ambiences here and remove them from the lockscreen and homescreen sideswipes (4 of the most easy to perform gestures, for only one function, that could be easily enough accessed from the lockscreen pulley).

Agree

Sorry for long post! And I realize it might be off-topic, sorry for that too... Just wanted to elaborate on the things I was quoted for.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-18 at 22:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
On Mac OSX you need the Horndis driver since Apple does not think supporting industry standards is needed.
Thank you for this driver! At least I can see a Connected Sailfish with an IP Address in System Preferences / Network. But I cannot get a connection yet. Does anyone know?

On the Jolla I enabled Developer mode and Remote connection. I tried with and without Password. The MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.5 cannot make a connection. Though USB:

MacBook:~ rob$ ssh 169.254.41.91
ssh: connect to host 169.254.41.91 port 22: Connection refused

Through WiFi there is a different response:
rob@192.168.254.38's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

Last edited by rob_kouw; 2013-12-18 at 22:08.

Actually I remember that bug on N9 sailfish also. I then took for granted that thumbnail was there but image itself had dissapeared for uknown reason? Did not check it thought. Maybe others can check if files still exist after upgrade. Also noticed that I loosed all default ambience pictures when remove/insert my white cover
Yes images are still there! You can actually see them in half of the screen if you trigger the edit menu (it's the actual image being edited, not the thumbnail).

Some pictures taken from Camera do work, just not all. And apparently one of the Jolla pictures works after being sent as an mail attachment. :<

[Edit] Alarm clock looks OK in France too. I was thinking to that yesterday but forgot to report! France is on the same timezone as Sweden (Mikecomputing).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-18 at 22:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
AFAIK manual focus is only supported by Lumias atm, so while a cool feature no idea why would anyone prioritize it IMHO
I meant autofokus and move the rectangle. That was possible on N9.

Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Pfff, I just sorted out all my contacts. I built up 485 contacts over the years in Exchange. Some of them merged with other contact data on N900 and N9, like photo or address, maybe Skype, LinkedIn, I don't know. But the normal sync with Exchange didn't bring them to the Jolla. Then a sync over bluetooth from the N9, no joy either.

In the end I exported all contacts on the N9 into vcf cards, browsed through the Jolla contacts to find out the missing ones. Painful, as I found no way to see a long list of names. The grouping by initial makes you go up again after finishing A to click the B etc. Anyway, I found 137 names missing.

Merged the vcf files into one file. Sent it to the Jolla, no joy. In Excel I threw out all the lines I mistrusted, leaving plain and simple vcf cards with 1 phone number and 1 e-mail address. Pasted those into a new file, sent it to the Jolla by bluetooth and it worked! There may be an easier way, but I did it!
I cannot comment on the missing fields after import, but I definitely reported the issue with missing contacts after import from a merged .vcf file. Some Jolla dev is working on it, and already from what he did, I could import 160 out of 163 contacts instead of 39 out of 163! He's still working on the reasons why 3 were omitted, and I think that when he successfully reproduce the bug, we can expect a fix.