Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

just voted
nearly 100 ppl are willing to pay 600€ (or more)
that would be a deal
unless desperate i wouldn't spend that much however

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I don't think Fremantle port won't be ready before Neo900 is released to the public, but even if it won't, then you'll still have QtMoko and SHR available, which both should "function as a phone with relative ease". They already work great on GTA04 and have some working ports to N900, so Neo900 compatibility should be there from day one.
no offence, but TMO is not a public... we are more or less all geeks here
thus willing to pay much more then the average public (!)
just watched a demo
reminiscent of S60, is it? (not a bad thing, but it clearly misses the "desktop metaphor" of Fremantle )
after the burning hara-kiri (or was it a cold blooded murder???) no public is going to think seriously of "Symbian" as an alternative, no?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
no offence, but TMO is not a public... we are more or less all geeks here
thus willing to pay much more then the average public (!)
Well, I don't think there'll be "exclusive release just for TMO", hence it'll be released "to the public" - everyone willing to get it Which probably will be mostly Maemo and Openmoko communities, sure.

just watched a demo
reminiscent of S60, is it? (not a bad thing, but it clearly misses the "desktop metaphor" of Fremantle )
after the burning hara-kiri (or was it a cold blooded murder???) no public is going to think seriously of "Symbian" as an alternative, no?
In that case you might want to see SHR, which is just a typical GNU/Linux X11 distro with Enlightenment E17 WM.

BTW, QtMoko is not related to Symbian in any way. It's based on Trolltech's Qtopia, renamed by Nokia to Qt Extended and then abbandoned. QtMoko is a community continuation of that project.

Anyway, if you're Fremantle fan, then I guess those systems would be just temporary ones until the port is finished, so the goal of device functioning as a phone would be still fulfilled right after release, and that's what I was talking about.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
idle thought...
from Joerg's 1st post i understood that the whole idea is about getting most of Maemo Fremantle on a more powerful device.
from the last exchanges with dos1 not sure this is still the point, but in case it is...

why not porting Cordia to {Mer | Sailfish | ???} and avoiding the trouble of manufacturing a "new" N900, maintain a separate "OS" and all that? if we could get Cordia to run on Sailfish. the device would be taken care of.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
would porting KDE to win8 allow you to run your linux programs on a win-tablet?
the idea is pretty simple to explain: give fremantle and GTA04 a new life, where both profit from synergy effects.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-29 at 19:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I'm musing what we could offer to get the "500ers" on board - maybe deferred payment on the preorder, combined with a ~10% discount compared to the final pricetag? 2 years of warranty?
I voted €300 (due to what I can afford, not that I don't think it's worth more), but under these terms I am happy to raise to €500. 2 years warranty? I wasn't expecting any at all (I'm not sure if EU regulations apply to this case). If I also get a deferred payment option and 10% discount then there is nothing to speculate about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
would porting KDE to win8 allow you to run your linux programs on a win-tablet?
the idea is pretty simple to explain: give fremantle and GTA04 a new life, where both profit from synergy effects.
well i have actually a couple vm's to run the LostDOS crap that i need (updating navigation, flashing NOKIAs ) on a KDE 3.5.12 desktop on openSUSE, thanks for asking

in fact i think the vm's run more updating the darn OS then the devices
¦-)))))))

but, seriously...
synergy, okay, but dos1 himself said that the Neo900 should be available for the general public; how will the GTA04+Fremantle get out of that "smallnest" (nerd) ghetto with... 200, 300 passionate, dedicated users.

why not following Jolla's example which by making their SW compatible with the most common (hardware) platform open it to a much wider audience?
in this case porting Cordia to Sailfish OS (& implicitely, gaining access to Android platform @ the same time )
win-win?

o, no, sorry, forgot... meritocracy
only an elite shall have it

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
why not following Jolla's example which by making their SW compatible with the most common (hardware) platform open it to a much wider audience?
in this case porting Cordia to Sailfish OS (& implicitely, gaining access to Android platform @ the same time )
win-win?
More like lose-lose. I see in this project a hope for bringing to market an open source (sw-wise and hw-wise) device which gives me freedom to hack most of its components and ability to check how they work. Popularizing Sailfish or, even worse, Android, would be a total opposite then - killing open platform and moving users and power to somehow closed platforms with less freedom. Besides, Android is popular nonetheless and moving Maemo resources (people) would be a drop in an ocean anyway (not to say that I would like to stay away from Android crapps as far as possible). Jolla has its own resources and I wish them luck, but only due to my sentiment to old Nokians - they were buttf**ked by their previous employer and decided to follow new company path - I wish them success so one day they can invest money in r&d and bring something revolutionary to the market like once Nokia did with N900.

Sorry for offtopic

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
2misterc: i, for example, don't want to touch mer/sailfish even with 10-meter long stick. and for android such distance is at least 100km. what i really want is free fremantle-compatible OS so i can have new kernel and such but still be able to run N900 software.

the thing i'm specially interested in is keeping X11 onboard. i'm not impressed with wayland and definetely don't want to see it on my device. along with all html- or qtquick-based crap.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
but, seriously...
synergy, okay, but dos1 himself said that the Neo900 should be available for the general public; how will the GTA04+Fremantle get out of that "smallnest" (nerd) ghetto with... 200, 300 passionate, dedicated users.
Sorry what? Neo900 will be available to purchase by everybody who wants one, and I don't care about any ghetto or how to get out of it. Not even when you start to insult once again.
win-win?
Sure, great idea! Please by all means go ahead and start such a project! Though it's definitely off topic in this particular thread. Please take it to that thread instead.
o, no, sorry, forgot... meritocracy
only an elite shall have it
Yeah insults and maybe trolling, see above comment.

@mods: could you please move #644, 645, 647..$this to the "Discussion of difficulties with porting to Neo900" thread? It clearly fits there, and here it's again OT.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-29 at 20:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!