Active Topics

Dear all,

On Easy Debian I have enlarged the / partition... I removed Openoffice... and compiled some apps from source code.

However I've tried find a solution to set the path to this compiled binaries and this seams to be beyond my knowledge...

In details... I have installed/compiled some apps at /usr/local (as root) using Easy Debian (on a N800) and initially I thought that was easy to set the path to executables setting this in /etc/environment.

However, this way is not working for me. Is different on Easy Debian to set the path to binaries??

I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited by poseidon.linux; 2011-12-01 at 20:42. Reason: The title was not very correct

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Editing the PATH variable in shell - does it work?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Editing the PATH variable in shell - does it work?
Well, if you can tell me which one is the right one I could... let me explain better...

(to be complete...using "echo $PATH" at the N800 X terminal I get... "/usr/bin:/bin")

While... using "echo $PATH" at the chroot Debian terminal I get a much longer list of variable. However, if I go and look at these files:

/etc/environment (which was originally as 100% empty)
/etc/profile
/etc/bashrc
/root/.profile
/root/.bashrc

None reflects the exact same paths that I saw at "echo $PATH" at chroot terminal... and even if the final path was a combination of all, some paths seen would be still missing and coming from somewhere else.

Honestly, I edited /etc/environment and /etc/profile with my paths and none seams to work.

For me the environment paths (at Easy Debian) must are stored somewhere else. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by poseidon.linux View Post
Well, if you can tell me which one is the right one I could... let me explain better...

(to be complete...using "echo $PATH" at the N800 X terminal I get... "/usr/bin:/bin")

While... using "echo $PATH" at the chroot Debian terminal I get a much longer list of variable. However, if I go and look at these files:

/etc/environment (which was originally as 100% empty)
/etc/profile
/etc/bashrc
/root/.profile
/root/.bashrc

None reflects the exact same paths that I saw at "echo $PATH" at chroot terminal... and even if the final path was a combination of all, some paths seen would be still missing and coming from somewhere else.

Honestly, I edited /etc/environment and /etc/profile with my paths and none seams to work.

For me the environment paths (at Easy Debian) must are stored somewhere else. Any ideas?
Well, I saw that using the chroot LXDE graphical interface (from Easy Debian) the paths are correctly used by the graphical terminal (only while inside LXDE). However, it's strange that chroot terminal doesn't get the same path settings.

Any idea why this different behavior between the two?