Active Topics

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Düsseldorf, Germany
Hi,
since today, /usr/bin/smartsearch is running with 99% CPU all the time on my N9, eating the battery. Rebooting didn't help, neither did "reset to default values" from the security menu.

Any ideas?

Georg

Jup, wellcome to the boat. Same here, let me know if you find solution to this. Uninstalling package smartsearch might be one solution. See onwards from

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=445

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
I have same problem.
Last week that process just stoppped and battery life went back up. Now battery lasts under 8 hours. (without smartsearch eating all cpu time battery was fine 48 hours.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 158 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Sorry for my English.

/usr/bin/smartsearch is executable. Go with a Desktop-Filemanager to /usr/bin/smartsearch and disable this option (properties) and Reboot. Maybe this helps.

Hope you understand me

Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
Sorry for my English.

/usr/bin/smartsearch is executable. Go with a Desktop-Filemanager to /usr/bin/smartsearch and disable this option (properties) and Reboot. Maybe this helps.

Hope you understand me
Can you explain to me how to to disable it .. first fist time user

a little offtopic but can someone tell me how to find out whats using how much CPU?

Hi to all, and sorry for my basic english from Paris

I have doubts about my battery also (black n9 64 go),
So many comments said that the N9 has a great battery, i just foubd it very normal after 2 days i have my N9 : around 5/6 hours of non-stop using (permanent wifi, web, videos, swiping all oter the phone) with a medium/correct screen lighting power.

I started again a test this noon i arrive close to 3 hours of non stop using with 50% battery (wifi connctions, dowloading youtube videos, playing videos, web browsing etc). Sounds correct to me but not that much, just like my N8 after year using it. The battery goes VERY fast at the begining (10% every 30mn) then it seems to calm a bit.

I have the battery apps and i'm always surprised that meego OS always use 50% of te battery, nevermind what you do with it. Is it normal ? My battery and phone doesnt have heat on back or else anyways.

I read what you said about the smartsearch and i dont get what it is, is it the multisearch function in all the phone apps including google ? Never used it anyways

Last edited by Jemoparis; 2011-11-13 at 19:40.

Try this.

"Completely removed the /home/user/.cache/tracker directory and rebooted. That got recreated, then smartsearch took some CPU for a very brief time. After that everything seemed to be back to normal."

The Following User Says Thank You to traveller07 For This Useful Post:
Hmmm...I can't list, chmod, move, or do anything with .cache/tracker, not even after devel-su. That results "Permissions denied". Diretory has rights "d---rwx--- metadata metadata"

That looks very suspicious. Do you have any advise how to destroy that directory?

By the way, uninstalling package smartsearch is not viable option to smartsearch problem. That would remove quite a bunch OS related packages also.

Last edited by sconf; 2011-11-14 at 07:37.

I got finaly rid of smartsearch eating lots of CPU and not going away. Previously after every reboot I had to kill it by hand, otherwise it would draing battery.

I tried "Reset->Restore settings" and then restored from backup. That did not cure smartsearch, but introduced a new battery drain with email sync described in

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=440

I then deleted and recreated mail account, and holy cow, that fixed smartsearch also! I have a syslog snapshot from the non-working and working smartsearch. Let me know if you have still troubles with smartsearch and want bug report filed. However, I don't have anything to debug anymore, just couple of syslog files.