Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Now, apparently, it'll be 100% open source (obviously excluding proprietary code such as the SGX driver), straight from the horse's mouth.

Who'll use it though? Maemo's a long-time open source project that no other device manufacturer used. Looks like it'll be the same for WebOS, unless HTC and Samsung and LG and Motorola etc. start pumping out WebOS 3 phones to unseat Android.

Even then, who'll buy it? Android has a staggering amount of apps while community stuff in Preware is crap compared to what we have in the repos, the games are available everywhere else, and the only thing going for it is that WebOS is nice to use.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-12-10 at 14:04.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
IIRC he didn't port the full OS, but the Mojo runtimes for 1.4x something.
No, I ran the full OS, except the kernel. And except Bluetooth, telephony.. the usual gang.

IMHO, the only thing I really wanted from webOS to be opensourced is Enyo, and that's exactly the only thing that has been confirmed 100% to be opensource (among other things, and to the best of my knowledge, because HP owns 100% of it, unlike the rest of webOS).

Having Enyo open means that you can run the standard webOS applications wherever you want, including a plain desktop webkit-based browser (this has been done already with Chrome...).

Mojo would also be nice, but it's slightly more tied to the webOS browser, aiui.

The rest of the OS is nice and good-looking, but Meego/Mer is a better distro IMHO. As for Luna, by now people have been doing better things using QML (think how easy it would be to replicate the card view in QML).

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-12-10 at 15:08.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Who'll use it though? Maemo's a long-time open source project that no other device manufacturer used.
Sorry but that's totally wrong. Maemo contained open source, but it was never an open source project per se, and was never available for third parties to licence either. Nevertheless some manufacturers did re-use some of the open bits like Hildon, and Nokia's reaction was along the lines of "OMG there are going to be cheap chinese devices using our code, what are we going to do" and ended up with closing all the user-facing stuff in Harmattan.

Even then, who'll buy it?
I did. I waited patiently for years for Nokia to make something decent again, and after I saw the closed, locked, crippled and stillborn N9 I opted for the lesser of two evils and spent my upgrade budget on a Pre 3[1]. You know what, it's much nicer than what it sounds like on paper, even before yesterday's announcement.

[1] And a touchpad. And touchstones, cases, capacitive styluses for both. And a bluetooth keyboard. And a couple dozen or so apps. And I still have plenty of cash left over compared to what an N9 would have cost :-p

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Ahem, if that's so trivial how come Diablo is still stuck with 4.5?
Simple - nobody bothered (I told this story a couple of times already). I personally made a 4.7 build nearly a year ago in just a couple of hours, but that (along with my dev env) sadly went down with a disk crash. Didn't have the inspiration to redo the thing as considering the state of the GLES drivers (and, well hardware design in general) of the N8x0, getting a performant Qt platform would require quite a bit of work*

*Trivia: The 25$ raspberry pi runs circles - no, planetary orbits around the N8x0 performance-wise

(though it seems to be porting Qt to WebOS is missing the point entirely)
Depends on what the point of webOS is. To be a web-tech-friendly Linux base (in which case Qt makes a lot of sense), or just a vehicle for web apps (in which case it's no better than Tizen).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
WebOS is already highly optimized for phones. As an example, the way multitasking is done (cards instead of windows, as it's done in Maemo 5)

The only way I can think of improving WebOS is: overhaul it, making the UI use uxlaunch instead of the crazy, depend-on-several-services-that-are-not-dbus-and-X thing that it has now, and make it use DEB/RPM instead of the inadequate IPKG.

Oh, and a GRID of cards, not a stack of them. Like a hybrid of the N9 and Pre, swiping them away or into view.

Oh, and maybe migrate away from Mojo/Enyo to Tizen HTML5? The two are already quite similar.
What is better about the WebOS way of doing multitasking? What is the difference between cards vs little windows? I sincerely would like to know.

I prefer the grid multitasking of Maemo over the Meego way or the cards system.

Edit: What percentage of Maemo is opensource?
And what percentage of Meego? Anybody know for sure? And are the closed bits necessary part or can they be made with reverse engineered?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2011-12-11 at 00:54.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Having Enyo open means that you can run the standard webOS applications wherever you want, including a plain desktop webkit-based browser (this has been done already with Chrome...).
Will you be working on this aswell?
If yes, THIS IS GREAT NEWS!

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Missouri
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
If nothing else at least a great majority of people on this forum would love to be able to update their n900 hardware and be able to keep all that maemo 5 goodness on a more up to date device. I definitely would like to be able to do maemo 5 things on a newer, faster device.
I completely agree, for the last month I have debating which to buy, a N900 or a Pre 3. Pre 3 has better hardware but an uncertain future. N900 has a better os (personal opinion) but the hardware is starting to show its age. It would be cool for me to get a Pre 3 and see maemo on it. Finally, it seems that a lot of us like webos, so why don't we take it under our wing (maemo community) The N900 was never a commercial success but an underground one. I think the same can be said about the Pre 3.

Last edited by mattmers; 2011-12-11 at 04:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattmers For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
*Trivia: The 25$ raspberry pi runs circles - no, planetary orbits around the N8x0 performance-wise
As long as we're comparing pears to tangerines, so does my dockstar that cost not much more than that over a year ago. The N810 however lives comfortably in my pocket and lets me deal with email, IM and ssh on the go so it wins by default ;-)

Depends on what the point of webOS is. To be a web-tech-friendly Linux base (in which case Qt makes a lot of sense),
It's much more GNU/Linux-y than Android for sure, but it was never meant to be a generic Linux platform. For running web apps along with Qt (and whatever else) ones it would make more sense to port Enyo to another Linux distribution than trying to make Qt apps coexist under the webOS UI which is more or less (ok, I'm oversimplifying a bit) a glorified web page running in a full-screen browser window.

or just a vehicle for web apps (in which case it's no better than Tizen).
Oh, it's better than Tizen simply by virtue of actually existing :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
lol reading this thread i had a slight glimmer of hope of the possibility of seeing maemo on some new hardware ..then i looked at the pre 3 ...16g on board and no sd card ...knew it was too good to be true

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
lol reading this thread i had a slight glimmer of hope of the possibility of seeing maemo on some new hardware
Why would you think that? It's not Maemo that's being opened!

..then i looked at the pre 3 ...16g on board and no sd card ...knew it was too good to be true
That's the least of your problems. If you want to attempt moving Maemo (Fremantle I presume) to new hardware you should be looking for something OMAP3-based.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: