Active Topics

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I just realised my X has been quiet all day despite emails arriving...

A quick check shows no sound output at all. Checked volume in settings, ambiences and from the volume key.

I saw this previously on the community build, but this is the first time it's happened since the official build arrived.

I use sailcron to switch to a silent ambience overnight and back to a noisy one in the morning. It certainly switched back to 'noisy', and the 'muted' icon wasn't shown.

Back to normal after a reboot.

Next time I will check the phone audio, and anything else I can think of. Anyone had anything similar?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Yes, but partitioning has been done from recovery.

This is for POWER users with F5122! Normal users shouldn't do it!
You should transfer https://iwf1.com/iwf-repo/parted.rar tool onto phone, chmod +x it and then do:
1) ./parted /dev/mmcblk0
2) print
here you see
Code:
...#     start    end     size
51      1195MB  54.7GB  53.5GB               userdata
52      54.7GB  62.5GB  7843MB  ext4         system
3) you want to make system smaller (on stock SF it is 1.5GB), and make userdata bigger
4) rm 52
5) rm 51
this deletes both last partitions
6) mkpart
here you create userdata again, set up 'start' the same - 1195MB, but end - bigger (61.0GB)
7) mkpart
here you create system again, set up 'start' as the end of NEW userdata - 61.0GB, and end as before - 62.5GB
8) name 51
say 'userdata'
9) name 52
say 'system'

So now you will have
Code:
51      1195MB  61.0GB  59.8GB               userdata
52      61.0GB  62.5GB  1537MB               system
So what normally goes in the system partition that might need ca. 8GB?
How big do I really need for SFOS?

I have a need for as much memory for media as possible, so the extra GB will be useful

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Hmm... this is too funny to not to mention it here.

After exporting contacts using vcardconverter, I also exported the entire database of calls and SMS messages from old Jolla phone (now without SIM) to Xperia X.

First, export message groups and phone calls lists to a binary file: log in via ssh on Jolla and execute:
Code:
commhistory-tool export -groups -calls mystuff
then move that binary file to Xperia X and execute:
[code]
commhistory-tool import ./mystuff
[code]
(you can safely ignore the bunch of warnings).

and everything gets in place and sorted by date, no UTF8 characters lost, added to the already existing recent calls and SMS text messages in its database.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
Turning this off hasn't worked. I'm going to try again on a different computer on the weekend.
Do you get to fastmode ?
(Turn off, hold volume up, insert USB cable, the phone turns on, the screen stays black and the LED eventually shine blue. The blue color is important).

I'll try without using the Sony software, as I think this is causing the problem
Normally you shouldn't need to use Emma - the sony software.
It's only used to flash official Sony firmware (e.g.: upgrading to "Central Europe 34.3.a.0.238").

And even if you need to downgrade/upgrade firmware, I would definitely recommend using http://flashtool.net instead.

Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Linux went without a glitch for me. Just had to install the android tools with a single command, turn off phone, plug it in while pressing volume up (or was it down for fastboot mode?), checking fastboot devices and proceeding from there with flashtool... if i recall correctly.
For the record :

- Volume Up : is for (Android standard) fastboot mode, and gives you a blue LED with a black screen.
That also allows you to unlock the bootloader to accept non-Sony-signed firmware (e.g.: SFOX or custom Android ROMs).

If you still run the stock Sony :

- Volume Down : is for the proprietary Sony flash mode, and gives you a green LED with a black screen.
You can use Sony's official Emma tool for Windows, or the cross-platform Flashtool to upgrade or downgrade firmwares.

If you've unlocked the bootloader and installer an Android recovery firmware (e.g.: TWRP, ClockWorkMod, etc.)

- Volume Down : is for recovery mod, and gives you a green LED with a menu on the screen (either touch screen, or using only the volume buttons for up/down, depending on the exact firmware installed).
It enables you to install firmware using ZIP files on the SDCard.

If you've unlocked the bootloader and installed the optionnal Jolla recovery firmware :
- Volume Down : is for recovery firmware, and gives you a green LED with a screen showing instruction to use telnet to connect to the Phone.
The actual recovery menu is visible on telnet.
(Pro tip : If you're on a Jolla 1 phone - DO NOT use the btrfs recovery)
Using the shell you can do pretty much anything.

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
For me the lowest volume setting is to loud, and high volume way too high an massively cracking, I guess on the long run it would destroy the speakers.
I would suspect a bug in pulseaudio having an abronally high volume level. (In that situation, the cracking is software audio clipping, not destruction of the speakers)
(The speakers of nearly all smartphones are piezo anyway. They are solid-state).

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Is the display brightness range the same on sfos as it is in android?
Booted the thing in android for the updates and found it is nicely dark on lowest setting. Unprecedented in sfos device i would say.
In Android, you usually set a brightness setting, and that's it.
In Sailfish OS, you generally set a desired brightness and the phone will play with it's actual brightness settings, based on the light sensors.
(The end result might end up being brighter or darker depending on ambient light).

Originally Posted by rogger888 View Post
I just want to say thank you to all those who helped me
Happy that as a community we managed to help eachother.

Last edited by DrYak; 2017-10-19 at 22:18.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
My issues are all related to unlocking the bootloader... (I think) - I can't upload pictures @ work, so I'll type away below:

F5121

Rooting status: Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes

I'm running 34.3.A.0.238

Developer options: ON
OEM unlocking: ON
USB Debugging: ON
Verify apps over USB: ON

Select USB Configuration: MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

Everything else (in developer options) is OFF

Lock screen & security:
Protection by my Xperia: OFF (this was on previously)

Device administration:
Unknown sources: ON

From the Sony website (where the instructions don't match either the video or the links provided) I have searched elsewhere & downloaded (as shown on the Sony video) installer_r24.4.1-windows.exe

I've downloaded the fastboot driver

I've (eventually) got it running in Windows 8.1 (rebooted into Testmode & run unsigned driver, again these steps don't match the Sony steps in the video

I've got the CLI running

I've typed in fastboot devices

a code has returned (I don't have it in front of me)

I've then (from step 4/4 on the unlock your bootloader Sony website) entered (Copy pasted) the code

and FAILED is al that happens...

The Following User Says Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA

I've then (from step 4/4 on the unlock your bootloader Sony website) entered (Copy pasted) the code

and FAILED is al that happens...
Did you enter your IMEI at the Sony site, and are you certain that the code they gave you is pasted exactly in the fastboot command?

The Following User Says Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Did you enter your IMEI at the Sony site, and are you certain that the code they gave you is pasted exactly in the fastboot command?
Yes. To be certain I copy pasted the fastboot command code, rather than risk mistyping

Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Yes. To be certain I copy pasted the fastboot command code, rather than risk mistyping
Honestly at this point it sounds like your fastboot driver is broken, even though it's reporting a device correctly. Are you able to do simple commands like "fastboot reboot" or "fastboot reboot bootloader"?

Also, make sure you're doing any fastboot commands from an elevated (Administrator) command prompt.

The Following User Says Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Honestly at this point it sounds like your fastboot driver is broken, even though it's reporting a device correctly. Are you able to do simple commands like "fastboot reboot" or "fastboot reboot bootloader"?

Also, make sure you're doing any fastboot commands from an elevated (Administrator) command prompt.
I'll try these tonight.

I'm running CMD as administrator

Correction, trying now

"fastboot reboot" reboots the phone

"fastboot reboot bootloader" reboots the bootloader returns
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.003S]

The code I get after running "fastboot devices" is: CB512E0E65

does this mean anything?

Last edited by rfa; 2017-10-20 at 04:00. Reason: Trying the steps suggested