Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
The N900 is almost 1 year old - which is a lifetime in terms of smartphones.

I render this comparison a waste of time.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I far from sure.. but think an undervolted n900 would beat the Galaxys battery charge. Or are it able to last longer than 72h? Do it have 32Gb space?

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
Real question here is: Can you use ComicSans on the Galaxy S?

...and to be more on topic, I just ordered a Galaxy S to complete my N900. Have both! They are different beasts...
Yes you can . You could even set the interface to Wingdings if that is what floats your boat.

More seriously I have both (though my N900 has been relegated to a pure internet tablet role) and personally I feel that the only thing holding back the N900 is its cpu and OVI store that might as well not exist.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
GPU wise, the N900 is no match. Screen wise, the N900 is no match. OS wise, Maemo beats Android in openess and features = Fact. One is a mobile computer OS, the other is a smartphoneOS. Your preference may vary but the truth is that Maemo is more robust than Android due to being as close to a full linux release as you can currently get.

I want the Hummingbird CPU+GPU combo that is in the Galaxy S and the SuperAmoled but not at the expense of having a mobile computer.

In short, the N900 hardware cannot beat the hardware in the Galaxy S phones due to a superior GPU in the Hummingbird processor. If you don't care about having a mobile computer/xterminal/opensource development friendly OS, by all means go for a Galaxy S phone. The GPU is reportedly able to max out at 90 Million polygons per second. Now if it is even pushed that far is anyones guess.

What would be more interesting would be to compare N8 and Galaxy S.

of COURSE the samsung will be better

the samsung galaxy was released when ?

the n900 was released when ?

wtf do u expect ? technology goes backwards ?

duh award of the week - darwin award even

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
GPU wise, the N900 is no match. Screen wise, the N900 is no match. OS wise, Maemo beats Android in openess and features = Fact. One is a mobile computer OS, the other is a smartphoneOS. Your preference may vary but the truth is that Maemo is more robust than Android due to being as close to a full linux release as you can currently get.

I want the Hummingbird CPU+GPU combo that is in the Galaxy S and the SuperAmoled but not at the expense of having a mobile computer.

In short, the N900 hardware cannot beat the hardware in the Galaxy S phones due to a superior GPU in the Hummingbird processor. If you don't care about having a mobile computer/xterminal/opensource development friendly OS, by all means go for a Galaxy S phone. The GPU is reportedly able to max out at 90 Million polygons per second. Now if it is even pushed that far is anyones guess.
You said it right, reportedly able to max out at 90 million seconds. Real life tests have not confirmed this, it is a theoretical number. Its strong, but not that strong.

Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Hmmm...You've put that interestingly... Do you want an Internet Device or a Ringer ? I am sure with Internet Device you mean the N900 right :-) (Please I am not dumb, just checking :-)
That's what I ment, yes
They both have strong sides, but on different tasks.

Galaxy S is no match for N900 as it has no HW keyboard.

Next question?

Originally Posted by philh View Post
Galaxy S is no match for N900 as it has no HW keyboard.

Next question?
Not having a HW keyboard is a Negligible thing, look what you are getting against that, 4" Inch Fantastic Amoled screen better GPU + CPU, Multitasking (Yes it also there in the Galaxy) A slicker and more recognized OS !!

Last edited by augustya; 2010-08-30 at 14:52.