Active Topics

Notices

Hello there fellow n900 owners.

I've came across a problem regarding the Video Playback, and please don't start to whine about not searching enough on the problem, because I have, the best I could do.

Well, to the problem:

I never encounter problems while watching series, such as Lost/Entourage etc. (Files that are approximately 200-400mb) but as soon I as I play a full movie, (700-800mb) the playback starts to lag, the lags are quite small, and not really a huge problem but something that disturbs you, and when using the TV-out it's even more frustrating. The lags are as if it was a low FPS rate or something, not huge freezes.

And I've tried with different media players, KMplayer handles it a bit better, but still lags.
Anyone having the same problem?
Ever grateful for help! Thanks

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
1. Put movie on internal memory space as opposed to external card (if appropriate).
2. Ensure no background processes are running causing this. Could be Exchange syncing, thumbail tracker, dodgey devel widget/app...
3. Overclock the CPU
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Have you tried using kmplayer? For me mplayer usually handles files that media player can't. Of course mplayer chokes on some files but in general it's much smoother than the built-in media player.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Sometimes the codec of the movie file you are trying to pay is not fully supported by Mplayer. The best thing to do is to reconvert it again with formatFactory and then resave it

This way you'll get a more smoother video even the size is the same.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
try VLC player.. Some have issues with it, but for me it plays the movies/shows that jerk with stock media player and mplayer(for me at lease) SmOOth

Plus i have my device O/C'd(500-850) and my swap is set to 30 and no other app's running a marathon in the background(not sure if that makes a difference) hope you at least try VLC...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I've played a 3GB .avi xvid dvd resolution file with 5.1 audio without any problems...But I think that is the maximum the N900 can handle without any conversion.

^ Same as above.

Although i put it in my onboard memory instead of an external one, and OC'd my CPU to 1Ghz, and i played the video through MediaBox..

Thanks for all quick reponses, I'm seriously considering Overclocking my device, but I'm not really familiar with that on phones...

How do I overclock?
At what Ghz rate does it start to hurt the phone?

I'm very carefull with my phone (Not that I won't download devel apps and such but) just don't want to OC it so bad it burns up without noticing!

Thanks.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Well, I'm running the phone on default stock speed and as I've said - a 3GB file, which is .avi (Xvid), has a resolution of 720x400, videobitrate of 3000 kb/s, 5.1 channel ac3 audio and audiobitrate 384kb/s, with subtitles, plays without lag and without any prior conversion without problems. So I think the problem is at your end somehow. Overclocking can in the long-run be a bad idea. But if you switch phones every 6 to 18 months, I guess it won't hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
My phone crashes when playing video when overclocked to 950mhz on the LV config...anyone know why?