Active Topics

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
In my case there are two applications for banking:

- first one only generates the code to allow access. This does not work/install as it requires android 5+
- second is for making the e-banking functions and getting notifications of transactions. This does not work (i think) because it believes the phone is rooted and less secure.

More and more banks switch to these applications and making use of the web based versions become very troublesome for daily use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
(continue from previous post; sorry i had to cut short because of work)

Even if they solve the first problem, i.e. bring a newer version of android, most of the banking applications will refuse to install if the android version does not reply as 'official' and/or not rooted.

Seen some posts that people were attempting to do that but I don't remember if they succeed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Used 5 differents banks apps without any issue here in France.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
Used 5 differents banks apps without any issue here in France.
Used 5 different banks without any apps here in the UK

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Used 5 different banks without any apps here in the UK
It's getting harder to get all the full features allowed with the mobile version of the Web site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
It's getting harder to get all the full features allowed with the mobile version of the Web site.
What features would one want from a bank, except money keeping and transfer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
this is a little off-topic but adding a new beneficiary, watch balance without entering login/pwd, etc ...
Many features that are proposed in an app, or on the full website, and definitely not on the mobile version of the website.
( at least for French banks )

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
this is a little off-topic but adding a new beneficiary, watch balance without entering login/pwd, etc ...
Many features that are proposed in an app, or on the full website, and definitely not on the mobile version of the website.
( at least for French banks )
This may not help you, but I've found that faking my browser user agent to, say, desktop Firefox gets me the non-mobile versions where I need them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
What features would one want from a bank, except money keeping and transfer?

Depositing a cheque without physically being present in the country! That is something I like to do so much (and bitch so much about the need of Alien-Dalviking it through some untrusty random uploads of APKs). This is mostly relevant in US and Canada, but happened to me in UK as well (hello University of Warwick and awards you are giving to some of your graduates after they graduate ... so often after they've actually left the country). Actually, some French grant agency was also paying me using some cheque-ish type of thing, but it was tight solely to the French post-office, so then there was no way of cashing it without being physically in France anyways.

Since I already got that much offtopic, a related story: the best part was the French approach of reimbursing my train at the end of my stay. I asked them if this could be sorted out before I actually leave, because, after I will take the train, I won't be able to go to the post-office and cash it. They said "not possible", however, they could do Western Union instead. So they turned out to pay something like 100 EUR at the end: around 25E was the train ticket itself, the rest was a transaction fee... I was actually feeling I should have never told them about those 25E...

Last edited by Wolda; 2018-06-15 at 04:48. Reason: missing quotation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Continuing on the off-topic... and trying to be positive about France
I actually use a mobile bank website with no issue.
@wolda Cheques are disappearing rapidly so there are accepted less and less, and banks are doing their best to accelerate even further their disappearance. So do not expect to receive good service for them ;-)
Reimbursing in France often happens through bank transfer or via payment card or any web-based system (paypal...)... Train tickets in France and the SNCF is a big subject that would need tons of text but let's say that not all French are proud of the way they work ;-)

Plus some comments
- most of the use is possible on a mobile browser, if not all, I mean technically and also in practice, I tend to do most stuff I want through the mobile version (French bank).
- if you need something more tricky, you probably have access somewhere to a desktop in the course of the day, and you can probably wait until you do have access to your desktop. And you know what, this is even possible to access the desktop version on a mobile :P
- if you use apps, you tend to help them justify that everybody use apps so why develop the web version. While I could, I tend to avoid as much as possible using apps, especially for services like banking.
- some justification I read on using apps like not entering password & username... Username & password are stored for me so this is a one-button-click to access to my bank account (there are other securities for sensitive actions). Are people that lazy to be so tired about clicking on a button? Adding a beneficiary is also possible with my bank through the mobile version (how often do you do that anyway...).
- I also have a sort of web bank account (revolut) and I need an app (this is a regret). I do not see the gain, really.

I see very limited justification for using an app (except those sort of bankid system that seem to exist elsewhere).
Developers are lazy and firms are lazy (I know it is not only laziness). Why do you think they would develop mobile version if nobody are using them. Do you want to be dependent on the fact that they develop a native version for all systems that you use? Because the next stop is that you must use an app and that the desktop version is also abandoned.
I see the same trend for other services like transport information services where the mobile version are less and less developed because people are using apps. When there are open API, that is ok but then that is not so always the case...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x